Is Iowa State the weakest team we meet this year?

Don't know what game some of you were watching? Best team Rhodes has had so far? Shot at going bowling?

ISU has problems on their offensive line. They aren't going to win a lot of games if they can't get their running backs over 100 yards a game. They need help at QB. Richardson is not going to get it done. He hits an occasional shot but he leaves opportunities almost every series. Defensively, they still have problems on the D line. Iowa pushed them all over the field. They got some sacks but the one I remember was from an Iowa mistake more than over powering their opposition.

I said before the game that if ISU stayed in a 3-4 that Iowa would lean on them and wear them down running the ball. That said ISU won't face another downhill running game, so as Iowa saw ISU can create pressure on the QB in the 3-4 which should help ISU the rest of the year. I still think they are lacking talent on their front 7, but it will be interesting to see how they far against the spread big12 teams.

In a vacuum, ISU is the 4th weakest team on the schedule this year.....ahead of N. Texas, Ill St, Purdue and Maryland. However, I'd argue that they are the 4th TOUGHEST team on our schedule behind Wisky, Nebby, and NW. The reason I say that is simply because of the rivalry. It hasn't mattered how pathetic we were early in the KF years or how pathetic they were/have been, this game is a slugfest that's nearly always within a score.

In a vacuum, ISU is the 4th weakest team on the schedule this year.....ahead of N. Texas, Ill St, Purdue and Maryland. However, I'd argue that they are the 4th TOUGHEST team on our schedule behind Wisky, Nebby, and NW. The reason I say that is simply because of the rivalry. It hasn't mattered how pathetic we were early in the KF years or how pathetic they were/have been, this game is a slugfest that's nearly always within a score.

You think Northwestern is better than Minnesota huh?

Iowa State's biggest problem isn't that they don't have a running game or their QB sucks... it's that their OLine is very bad. Because the OLine is bad, they don't have a running game and their QB sucks. A good OLine makes a mediocre QB look good and a good QB look great. A bad OLine makes a great QB look mediocre. Offensively they haven't done much in either of their games this year and it all boils down to the OLine. Yeah, they scored more against UNI but it's because they had so much in return yards.

Iowa State's biggest problem isn't that they don't have a running game or their QB sucks... it's that their OLine is very bad. Because the OLine is bad, they don't have a running game and their QB sucks. A good OLine makes a mediocre QB look good and a good QB look great. A bad OLine makes a great QB look mediocre. Offensively they haven't done much in either of their games this year and it all boils down to the OLine. Yeah, they scored more against UNI but it's because they had so much in return yards.
Well, you know, Iowa's OLine isn't the greatest, either. After some pounding CJ got from ISU, the offensive staff decided to roll him out of the pocket, decided to shotgun him more. Iowa can't count on another 'stud' (I guess) inside player against them on defense getting hurt. I didn't hurt CJ has a good arm and legs. Makes the defense defend the entire field.

Maybe the blame should go to Mark Mangino (sic?) and his inability to scheme around these deficiencies? I heard ISU's QB had an owie on his ankle.

Here's my gratuitous swipe against KF: if KF was running the offense, he'd keep the QB in the pocket the entire game... out of principle.
Why did I just ruin such a good post?

Last edited:
Well, you know, Iowa's OLine isn't the greatest, either. After some pounding CJ got from ISU, the offensive staff decided to roll him out of the pocket, decided to shotgun him more. Iowa can't count on another 'stud' (I guess) inside player against them on defense getting hurt. I didn't hurt CJ has a good arm and legs. Makes the defense defend the entire field.

Maybe the blame should go to Mark Mangino (sic?) and his inability to scheme around these deficiencies? I heard ISU's QB had an owie on his ankle.

Here's my gratuitous swipe against KF: if KF was running the offense, he'd keep the QB in the pocket the entire game... out of principle.
Why did I just ruin such a good post?

One of the hallmarks of a KF offense (both under KOK and GD) is getting the QB on the move. Playaction rollouts have been a big part of KF offense sense he got here.

One of the hallmarks of a KF offense (both under KOK and GD) is getting the QB on the move. Playaction rollouts have been a big part of KF offense sense he got here.
Meh. One of the hallmarks of the KOK/GDGD/KF offense is the play action pass. Not a whole lot of play action passing if the QB is out of the pocket rolling around, if the QB is in shotgun within the 'usual' KOK/GDGD/KF offense.

Without DBs being sucked down to the LOS for a possible run with play action passing, Iowa receivers have to get open on their own.

Latest posts