Is Iowa State the weakest team we meet this year?

tweeterhawk

Nice win by the Hawks, especially in Ames. But Iowa has superior facilities and staff, and generally attracts better, more hard-working talent, so I would expect the team to win more than its fair share against the Cyclones. Looking at the schedule, it appears the Clones were the biggest patsy on this year's slate.

Some might say Illinois State was. But the Redbirds were FCS champions last year and that was a solid team that came to Kinnick at the start of this month.

If not the weakest, perhaps tied with North Texas or perhaps even Purdue?

I believe, based on what I saw, ISU is better than ill State. I believe they will be better than N.Texas and maybe Purdue., but I don't know for sure.

I have them above Wisconsin and Nebraska, the Big 12 is loaded with talented teams. We probably won't see a similar team until the B1G Championship of CFB Playoff.

Why is it that when we beat Iowa State, everyone disparages the quality of the win?

Iowa State, when they play Iowa, is TOUGH. Forget the rest of the season....on that day, they are always a very tough team to beat.

This was a huge win for Iowa. I also think that, barring injury, Iowa St. is going to win several more games this year. They are much improved.

Definitely not the weakest. Illinois State isn't as good as they were a year ago with all the new faces on the OL, and North Texas is horrible. Purdue is also bad, and I haven't seen much of Pitt this year, and none at all since they lost Connor. Without him, I wouldn't be shocked if they aren't much (if any) better than ISU.

Why is it that when we beat Iowa State, everyone disparages the quality of the win?

Iowa State, when they play Iowa, is TOUGH. Forget the rest of the season....on that day, they are always a very tough team to beat.

This was a huge win for Iowa. I also think that, barring injury, Iowa St. is going to win several more games this year. They are much improved.

Their running game needs to improve for that to happen, but I otherwise agree. The passing game can be pretty deadly (they've got a really nice stable of receivers), and their defense looked pretty salty until the offense couldn't stay on the field and they wore out in the second half. If ISU's OL can develop a little and give that offense some balance, 5-6 wins could be possible.

Their running game needs to improve for that to happen, but I otherwise agree. The passing game can be pretty deadly (they've got a really nice stable of receivers), and their defense looked pretty salty until the offense couldn't stay on the field and they wore out in the second half. If ISU's OL can develop a little and give that offense some balance, 5-6 wins could be possible.

They better win at least 4 or 5 if they want their coach to be around for the next season.

I dont see how in this day and age you can keep a coach who can win only 2-3 games a year the last two years and only 2-4 this year.

Where did I disparage the quality of the win? Nice win, and as others have noted, Iowa State can be dangerous, especially through the air. But Iowa should expect to beat the Clones virtually every year. There's a reason why it's unusual for the Hawks not to be selected for a bowl game, and similarly why it is for Iowa State TO be selected.

My question was where Iowa State ranked strength-wise with the other teams on our schedule. My sense is near or at the bottom.

why is is that clown fan says they would go to rose bowls often if they were in the big ten? it's just a game fan bases play...i suppose...to fulfill their own prophecies and or belief systems. i only said so above to go along with the clown game....

Not even close. 5th out of 12 teams.

Opponents, weakest to strongest:

North Texas - ESPN PFI #116
Illinois State - FCS and Iowa manhandled them.
Maryland - ESPN PFI #97
Indiana - ESPN PFI #77
ISU - ESPN PFI #71
Purdue - ESPN PFI #64
Pitt - ESPN PFI #57
Minnesota - ESPN PFI #51
Northwestern - ESPN PFI #45
Nebraska - ESPN PFI #43
Illinois - ESPN PFI #40
Wisconsin - ESPN PFI #23

Iowa is at 50. That puts them at 8 wins on the season. We might be able to beat NEBBY, and might lose to Minny. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only definite losses at this point. NW looks pretty salty, too. Manhandle Pitt and this team could be looking at a 9 win season, but still be sitting 3rd in their division.

That's three games better than my season opening W/L projection. Beat Wisconsin and Iowa should win 10 games (or more). The season really comes down to that Wiscy, Illinois, Northwestern three-game stretch.

Not even close. 5th out of 12 teams.

Opponents, weakest to strongest:

North Texas - ESPN PFI #116
Illinois State - FCS and Iowa manhandled them.
Maryland - ESPN PFI #97
Indiana - ESPN PFI #77
ISU - ESPN PFI #71
Purdue - ESPN PFI #64
Pitt - ESPN PFI #57
Minnesota - ESPN PFI #51
Northwestern - ESPN PFI #45
Nebraska - ESPN PFI #43
Illinois - ESPN PFI #40
Wisconsin - ESPN PFI #23

Iowa is at 50. That puts them at 8 wins on the season. We might be able to beat NEBBY, and might lose to Minny. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only definite losses at this point. NW looks pretty salty, too. Manhandle Pitt and this team could be looking at a 9 win season, but still be sitting 3rd in their division.

That's three games better than my season opening W/L projection. Beat Wisconsin and Iowa should win 10 games (or more). The season really comes down to that Wiscy, Illinois, Northwestern three-game stretch.

IL a definite LOSS??? They have played no one to date. Plenty of losses coming for them including a date at kinnick.

From what I saw yesterday I think the ISU team we played yesterday is the best team Rhodes has had yet. I'll be surprised if they aren't bowling this year. I wouldn't have thought it was possible without a win against Iowa.

If the Clones can find some kind of running game, they are potentially dangerous. That would have kept their defense off the field in the second half. Who knows. Granted, they seem to play us hard. But they have receiver talent and a decent QB. Defense is still suspect to do serious damage. But again, thet had to have been gassed by the end if the game.

I said before the year started ISU could win 5-6. I still think they win 2 for sure Big12 games, and possible a 3rd and 4th, because the Big12 is pretty weak. K-State, Okie St., WVU, Texas can all be beat. They are all about as good as Iowa, but not nearly as physical, so maybe ISU's 3-4 D will help them out in those games.

Worse case scenario for ISU is they lose to Toledo and beat Kansas and Tech and go 3-9. Best case they beat Toledo, Kansas, Tech, and 2 other Big12 opponents and go 6-6.

ISU is not a bad team this year. They've got some athletes on that roster that would be big contributors for the Hawks, esp at WR/KR and a solid DL. While their record might now show it this year, they would likely win 7 games and go to a bowl game with Iowa's cupcake schedule.

The weakest team we meet this year is N Texas, followed probably by Purdue. Illinois State would likely give both of them a run for their money.

Latest posts