Is Iowa Better Without Tyler Cook?

WinOneThisCentury

Boy...the regular contributors are sure setting a great example about not dissing players. Even asking this question is a dis to Tyler Cook. How is it not? I'll bet Tyler Cook thinks Iowa is better with him. Question...if you were playing a pick up game, who would you take? Tyler Cook or Ryan Kreiner/Cordell Pemsl? I'm taking Tyler Cook.

Cook has a ferocious first step and jump. He doesn't get higher or as high as some like on TN though. First step and quick jump is hard to replace.

Don’t group me with Miller and Deace. :D

Sorry...yeah...I would distance myself from that podcast too. Jon sounded like he's on downers...and spiraling down the Hawkeye drain. I'm actually optimistic about next years team. They can shoot it and they have shown they can defend when they are committed to it. They will all be stronger, and once again...we are long and have multiple scorers.

Depends on the team... Questions like this are tough in that all the anselary factors aren't going to be the same. Itll be different without him no doubt about it. But does that mean we'll struggle as a team? Hard telling. Garza may take a significant step in his game. Adding Nunge with his shooting may be a better overall duo in that their games compliment each other well. Or maybe not hard telling today. JW with a yr of experience might just turn into a dominant player and change the dynamic of the team. Or maybe he sophomore slump. I dont think that but who knows.

Here are the tougher things to replace that Cook brought. Rebounding, screen setting, drawing fouls and shot attempts. Yeah laugh up the shot attempts but the offense went through him a lot. Where are those all going to go? And I bring up screen setting because I think Nunge committed fouls last yr attempting to set screens at times. Garza as well. Takes a lot of coaching and practice for those bigs to not stick their hips and elbows out. Plus guards have to make sure they're set before using them. Cook I thought did a good job at that. Just wish hed have rolled to the rim every time instead of fanning out a lot.
I bring up drawing fouls because I'll go out on a limb without knowing this but I bet he drew the most fouls of anyone else on the team and that it wasnt close. Our team not getting into the bonus earlier in games would change the flow of how we play and how Fran likes them to. So that dynamic would be very interesting to me as well

Iowa will be more successful without Cook. It's not because I hate TC. Jon and Steve said it much more eloquently than I can. I highly suggest you give it a listen. Very insightful and well though out.
Basically, because of the kind of player TC is, he needs the ball a lot. The problem is, he isn't very efficient outside of 7-8' from the basket. Teams know this and force him out by crowding our guards. So he has to come out to 15' to get the ball. Then he has to dribble his way in. He isn't good at that and turns it over way too much. This team will be better off relying on JBo, Weiskamp, Moss (if he's back) and Garza.
And BTW, Cook will be much better off moving to the next level. Whatever that may be whether it's Euro ball or another level. He's gone as far as he can go at the collegiate level. I wish him the best and thank him for all he's done for Iowa. Thanks Tyler! Good luck!

If he was the guy that we saw in the 2nd half against Tennessee where the team feeds off that energy...... Iowa is definitely better with him. Nunge/Pemsl won't be able to give you that, at least not right away.

Next year at this time there probably will be a thread asking if Iowa will be better off without Bohannon. The beat will go on.

I will have to rewatch some games to see
Depends on the team... Questions like this are tough in that all the anselary factors aren't going to be the same. Itll be different without him no doubt about it. But does that mean we'll struggle as a team? Hard telling. Garza may take a significant step in his game. Adding Nunge with his shooting may be a better overall duo in that their games compliment each other well. Or maybe not hard telling today. JW with a yr of experience might just turn into a dominant player and change the dynamic of the team. Or maybe he sophomore slump. I dont think that but who knows.

Here are the tougher things to replace that Cook brought. Rebounding, screen setting, drawing fouls and shot attempts. Yeah laugh up the shot attempts but the offense went through him a lot. Where are those all going to go? And I bring up screen setting because I think Nunge committed fouls last yr attempting to set screens at times. Garza as well. Takes a lot of coaching and practice for those bigs to not stick their hips and elbows out. Plus guards have to make sure they're set before using them. Cook I thought did a good job at that. Just wish hed have rolled to the rim every time instead of fanning out a lot.
I bring up drawing fouls because I'll go out on a limb without knowing this but I bet he drew the most fouls of anyone else on the team and that it wasnt close. Our team not getting into the bonus earlier in games would change the flow of how we play and how Fran likes them to. So that dynamic would be very interesting to me as well
I might have to rewatch some games to see these Cook screens you speak of, his rebounding was very sporadic. I thought Cook's greatest value to Iowa was pumping up the crowd and his teammates. His dunks were electric and brought the crowd to their feet. He brought a legit presence and respect to the team. I believe his points and rebounds can be replaced but his intangibles can't be by the current roster.

We won't know for sure until next season. I have to say it will be a plus to reduce our turnovers per game by about 3 or 4. I've said before that Cook's athletic gifts will be hard to replace but not his production.

Tyler could have had a lot better season if he could have put in the same effort every game as he did during those runs he led. It was almost like he was two different players, especially in the rebounding and defensive areas of his game.

We will be DIFFERENT without him. His Skillset is UNIQUE from typical Iowa players over last 30 years. High flying, athletic, rim-rattling. But, with that some mistakes when trying too much.
Typical Iowa players are high ‘bball IQ’ guys, but often lack athleticism seen on many P6 programs.

Latest posts