Is Iowa a Top Ten National Progam?

Reading comprehension: Read the opening paragraph ;)

I think that after next season, there will be a nice, socially acceptable 10 year span to choose from ;)

You know what Jon, I read your article maybe three times, and I completely skimmed the first paragraph the first time and forgot about it. I am a numbers dork, so I guess I just focused on them. I for one am more than willing to acknowledge when I have been put in my place! Kudos on the interesting piece.

Cool..then this should be the last time that you have anything to comment on what I write, since its not meaningful, and you clearly should have better things to do than read stuff that has no value to you. Take care...we'll really miss having you around.

Wow, sensitive much.

Wow, sensitive much.

Anyone that didn't like the article and is interested in a full refund, email me and we can begin the procedure ;-)

I have never had a problem with disagreements. But I do have problems with people continually being ******** on my front porch.

Last edited:
Jon, not sure if you saw my post earlier and yes, this is also skewed to Iowa's favor, but here it is.

# of Top 8 finishes in the AP Poll since the 2002 season:

USC – 7
Ohio St. – 6
Texas – 5
Oklahoma – 5
Iowa – 4
LSU – 4
Georgia – 4
Alabama – 3
Florida – 3
Boise St – 2
TCU – 2
Utah – 2
Penn St – 2
West Virginia – 2
Louisville – 2
Michigan – 2
Miami – 2
Cincinatti – 1
Missouri – 1
Kansas – 1
Wisconsin – 1
Virginia Tech – 1
Auburn – 1
Kansas State – 1

Of the schools with 3 or more top 8 finishes on the list I think every one of them but Iowa has won a national championship in the past decade. Maybe Georgia didn't; not sure on this.

Could Iowa be positioning itself for a serious national championship run based on the number of recent top 8 finishes as an indicator? Based on the top 8 finishes are the odds with Iowa to win a national championship in the near future?

Last edited:
2001-2009 is a 9 year span.

count the years with your fingers.

2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009. That is 9 years.

When you count, do you not start with 1. There was no year zero.

Oh when oh when will Hawkeye fans' obsession with all things Cyclone end?

Talk about obsessive, that blog is just bizarre. But I gotta be somewhat proud to be the "underling homer" referred to as I provided the link from Marc Morehouse on the whole OB Rep "liar" fiasco :)

I don't understand how people don't think there's a valid argument saying Iowa is a top 10 program since 2002. That's when Ferentz's program was fully in place so why can't that be a starting point. There's no rules saying you have to start at the beginning of the decade.

If a baseball player goes 12 for 24 in his last 8 games, is that a misleading stat because he was 0-8 in his previous 2 games?

It's not like Jon is leaving out 2006 and 2007. His point is simple, Iowa has been one of the most successful teams since 2002. There is a starting point and an ending point. Easy concept really.

No it doesn't. The new decade started on 1 week ago yesterday. When you're going 2000-2009, you have to count 2000 as well.

Technically the new decade doesn't start until 2011, but most people treat each decade as the set of years that begins with the same three digits.

Years 1-10 AD = first decade in this calendar system (since there was no year zero).
Years 11-20 AD = next decade, etc.

Likewise, 2000 was really the last year of the second millennium, not 1999.

Not that any of this has anything to do with sports.

2001-2009 is a 9 year span.

count the years with your fingers.

2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009. That is 9 years.

When you count, do you not start with 1. There was no year zero.

Yes, but 2000-2009 is a period of 10 years. A decade is 10 years long. You haven't seen all the " _____ of the Decade" stuff that was floating around all December?

I can tell you this. We were a top 10 program in 2009. That's all I really care about.

Technically the new decade doesn't start until 2011, but most people treat each decade as the set of years that begins with the same three digits.

Years 1-10 AD = first decade in this calendar system (since there was no year zero).
Years 11-20 AD = next decade, etc.

Likewise, 2000 was really the last year of the second millennium, not 1999.

Not that any of this has anything to do with sports.

Ddiction, decades are a ten year period starting with year 0. Here is the dictionary definition:

decade |ˈdekād|
noun
1 a period of ten years : he taught at the university for nearly a decade.
• a period of ten years beginning with a year ending in 0 : the fourth decade of the nineteenth century.

Think of it this way the decade of the 60's was from 1960-1969. Nobody says that the decade of the 60's included the year 1970.

You are mistaking decades with centuries. You are absolutely correct about centuries. They are measured with the 1st year of the century being 2001 for example.

Last edited: