Is Iowa a National Program? BCS Record Says Yes

ChosenChildren

The BCS recently updated the all-time BCS bowl game standings. Iowa's record is 1 win and 1 loss. Where does that place Iowa nationally?

1. Only 12 teams have played in more than 2 BCS bowl games (Iowa ranks 13th).

2. Iowa is tied for 12th in winning percentage among all teams who have played in at least 2 BCS games (.500 winning percentage):

LSU 4-0
Boise 2-0
Utah 2-0
WVa 2-0
Wis 2-0
USC 6-1
Fla 5-1
Miami 3-1
TX 3-1
Geo. 2-1
OhioST 5-3
Iowa 1-1

3. The top Big Ten teams are as follows:

Ohio State 5-3
Wisconsin 2-0
Iowa 1-1
Penn St 1-1
Michigan 1-3

Conclusions:

Over the past 12 years of the BCS, Iowa is a Top 13 program. In the Big Ten, Iowa can argue that only Ohio State has had more success during the past 12 years.

Hopefully the next 12 years will be as good as the previous 12!

Actually you could argue that Wisconsin has too beings that they are 2-0-- that's pretty good i didn't realize they were 2-0 in the BCS

Going by percentages, one could argue on that Iowa's 1-1 record is almost as good as OSU's 5-3 and better than OU's 2-5 or FSU's 1-5. But in reality I would take 2-5 over 1-1 any day of the week, because merely making it to a BCS bowl is a serious accomplishment. And percentages aside, we're not even close to comparing Iowa to OSU in BCS terms.

I think the best way to compare would be total BCS wins. By that count we're in a 14-way tie for 13th place. Not exactly world-beating numbers, but nothing to sneeze at either. The BCS era elite are U$C, OSU, Florida, LSU, Texas, and Miami, with honorable mention to OU. Everybody else still has a lot to prove.

As for the Big Ten, I'd put UW and UM ahead of Iowa in terms of BCS success. For now. ;)

Last edited:
Actually you could argue that Wisconsin has too beings that they are 2-0-- that's pretty good i didn't realize they were 2-0 in the BCS

Good point to bring up- also don't forget that in 2006 when I believe OSU went to the NC game, UM went BCS and Wisconsin had an 11-1 record and was forced to go to the Cap One bowl because the BCS only allows two teams from each conference. Almost never counts, but it's worth noting.

I would agree the record does support us as a national program, but we are better not worrying about that lets focus on Iowa football and what makes it great and not worry about being a national program. We are all so worried about being seen as a national program and until we win BCS titles will not happen, and even with that will always be tough for Hawkeyes but that is what makes Iowa football great. So lets focus on winning and not something that does not matter!!!

Agree 100%- Part of what makes Iowa so much fun is we do it OUR way and are successful doing it.

Also, I think we play SO much better and with so much more fire when we feel disrespected nationally. Would rather all the national ESPNradio jackarses (Cowherd and Rome especially) talking about how over-rated we are.

That's because both of those wins were in the last century.

1999-2000 Wiscon won the Rose Bowl both years. The thread started as the last 12 years which would include those two years. So yes, Wisky would be better than Iowa.

1999-2000 Wiscon won the Rose Bowl both years. The thread started as the last 12 years which would include those two years. So yes, Wisky would be better than Iowa.

Spot on... the thread discusses the work done in the BCS- and that work IS done in the BCS.

Expand the argument to January Bowl games against high profile opponents this past decade and Iowa probably jumps into the top 10.

I think its tough to use just the BCS bowl appearances as this barometer. First of all, the second BCS bids that go out have a lot to do with the beauty contest factor. Both times Iowa has gone to the BCS, they were not the automatic bid. I think they were deserving both times mind you, but just pointing this out given the subjective nature of some aspects of the BCS.

Also, schools like Boise and Utah don't play week in week out schedules on par with most of the teams in BCS conference leagues. I am sorry, but it's a lot easier to get up for one or two games a year where you have to bring your A game to win in leagues like the WAC or the Mountain West as opposed to leagues like the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, where you have to bring it each week. I don't consider Boise State or Utah Top 15 programs.

Over the last nine seasons, Iowa is 16th overall in winning percentage. Remove Boise, Utah and TCU, and they are 13th.

Iowa is 2nd in the Big Ten in winning percentage over that time.

Here is the link of winning percentage 2001-2009: CLICK HERE

I think you are making my point, not detracting from it.

Use about any barometer you want, and Iowa stacks up as a Top 15 program.

A great source for comparing programs is the College Football Data Warehouse, the "source" for historical records and statistics.

Here are some interesting statistics from the College Football Data Warehouse (Jon Miller, for statistics freaks like you, this is a must read if you haven't discovered it already):

1. Iowa is #22 all-time nationally in bowl wins (a tremendous record considering the Big Ten did not open up to multiple bowls until the 1970s).

2. For schools that have played in at least 20 bowl games, Iowa's bowl winning percentage is even more impressive: Iowa's 13-10-1 record places it 13th all-time in bowl winning percentage!!!

Iowa nationally is a Top 15 program no matter how you slice it, with all but 2 of those bowl wins coming during the Fry-Ferentz era, which is really the golden age of Iowa football (a tremendous 31 year run).

I don't know. It sounds a little selfish to be overalyzing this topic. I'd like to see 2-3 more BCS wins before I ever considered it. seems too premature...

You are right, it is just "coffee" talk during a long off season for old men like me.

Past history doesn't help you win future games (I am the first one to admit it).

We are simply enjoying the glow of an Orange Bowl championship and looking forward to a new season --- no harm in that, is there?

I would agree- nothing wrong with discussing it, heck it was a great season. Just cautious to get too much into the BCS/NC discussion for fear of not meeting lofty expectations for this year- fairly or unfairly placed.

Also, it's amazing how quickly things turn from Rose Bowl talk to the sky is falling (2007). I was sitting in the press box (the actual press area) for the game they lost at home to Western Michigan... and wow that was a disappointment!

You are right; fans are fickle, and expectations inevitably will go up after the Orange Bowl win. Hopefully the 2010 team will rise to the challenge of expectations.

I am happy in any Iowa football season that culminates in a bowl game (any bowl game); but I am probably in the minority right now.

I don't know about ANY bowl, but don't think you're far off. Doesn't bother me at all to head to Orlando or Tampa, or now Jacksonville for those bowls... but I don't think I'm ever heading to Tempe for anything other than a Fiesta Bowl or never the Pizza Pizza Bowl.

I have a hunch when the next agreement is up that the Big Ten is going to pick up the Cotton Bowl if it doesn't go BCS to replace the Cap One Bowl.

I would be happy with any of the current Big Ten tie-in New Year's day bowls (including Gator or Dallas Football Classic). The Insight Bowl is a great bowl because it is in Phoenix, just a beautiful climate and city.

I agree that any bowl below that is not too attractive (Pizza Bowl might be a bummer).

Although I have to admit if we go 6-6, and then win the Pizza Bowl, I'll probably be very happy (it seems like you only remember the bowl game after the season is over; can you imagine how bummed out we would be if the Hawkeyes had LOST the Orange Bowl in the 4th quarter?).

Latest posts