Is Hill going to be our starting QB

longtimer

I have a sick feeling that when McNamara goes down early on if he is able to start the year that Ferentz is going to put Hill in the starting lineup. I have not seen any promising news in the Portal and I'm not sure Ferentz Is even making an effort to find a QB. Don't have any information that supports that but I just get the uneasy feeling that Ferentz is determined to show us all that Hill is the man? Hopefully i'm wrong about this but after last year's debacle I am beginning to think Ferentz has become so stubborn and maybe bitter that it could come down to playing the worst QB I have ever seen play at Iowa (and i have seen some bad ones)

Someone in the know please tell me there is a chance we bring in an able QB in the portal or that a true Freshman could be the answer

I hate to think of Ferentz going out after a great run at Iowa by playing a QB that couldn't start at UNI and even more hate the thought of watching it

DH and the staff will discuss the situation after spring ball on Saturday. Basically up to Iowa if it wants to run it back with him or go in a different direction after evaluating him during the last month. Lainez's progess also factors in as well as does how they feel about James Resar.

With the portal opening today (think it closes May 1), DH and Iowa have to act pretty quickly so he would have time to look around and so would Iowa in replacing him.

Cade is QB1 unless he can't be.

If Cade gets hurt and can’t play I would be all for rotating both Lainez and Resar every other series until one steps up above the other.

Hopefully Lainez comes around and does well. With his last name being what it is it could be imbarrassimg if Iowa fans started a chant similar to “We want Lame Ass out!” Lol, sorry couldn’t help saying that.

He actually threw some nice passes in practice from videos I seen. Last year when he got a few plays he didn’t look like a guy that was afraid to run the ball. That’s a good sign.

I have a sick feeling that when McNamara goes down early on if he is able to start the year that Ferentz is going to put Hill in the starting lineup. I have not seen any promising news in the Portal and I'm not sure Ferentz Is even making an effort to find a QB. Don't have any information that supports that but I just get the uneasy feeling that Ferentz is determined to show us all that Hill is the man? Hopefully i'm wrong about this but after last year's debacle I am beginning to think Ferentz has become so stubborn and maybe bitter that it could come down to playing the worst QB I have ever seen play at Iowa (and i have seen some bad ones)

Someone in the know please tell me there is a chance we bring in an able QB in the portal or that a true Freshman could be the answer

I hate to think of Ferentz going out after a great run at Iowa by playing a QB that couldn't start at UNI and even more hate the thought of watching it
Why do you doubt the coaches are looking for a ready to go QB? It seems like a position of need. Almost every website that talks about Iowa's portal QB as a portal priority.

Curious about who you think are the bad QBs that you've seen play at Iowa. I can think of not more than one really bad one and one kind of under performer...until watching Petras, Padilla, and finally Hill.

Last edited:
Why do you doubt the coaches are looking for a ready to go QB? It seems like a position of need. Almost every website that talks about Iowa's portal QB as a portal priority.

Curious about who you think are the bad QBs that you've seen play at Iowa. I can think of not more than one really bad one and one kind of under performer...until watching Petras, Padilla, and finally Hill.
Well I can think of a few of the top of my head Bobby Cummings. Roy Bash, Jake Christianson, Tom McLaaughlin, Rob Fick Kyle Slogman Butch Caldwell are just a few

And I just have a gut feeling that Ferentz wants to play Hill Just a feeling

Labas ended up at Central Michigan, right? Anyone know if he appears to be the starter there?

If so, that one is still a real head scratcher. In my opinion, that's the perfect type of guy you'd be looking for here. MAC level starter quality. Someone good enough to compete some with McNamara and start if needed, but not so good they'd demand to be handed the starting job.

Like I said, hard to figure out what happened with that situation last year.

If Cade gets hurt and can’t play I would be all for rotating both Lainez and Resar every other series until one steps up above the other.

Hopefully Lainez comes around and does well. With his last name being what it is it could be imbarrassimg if Iowa fans started a chant similar to “We want Lame Ass out!” Lol, sorry couldn’t help saying that.

He actually threw some nice passes in practice from videos I seen. Last year when he got a few plays he didn’t look like a guy that was afraid to run the ball. That’s a good sign.
I am ALWAYS in favor of Iowa going this way when the starter is 1. ineffective or 2. not healthy. This never giving dudes a chance and riding with near one percentile league wide performers has gotta stop. Either rotate series, quarters, or halves. If Saban can afford to do it in Championship games, I think we can do it against a North Texas or a Tennessee State.

Hard to disagree with where things are at right now. Hopefully, the new OC has some semblence of self-preservation and figures out a way for that not to happen. He can watch tape like the rest of us. Hill is not a BigTen QB.
Hill hasn’t even proven he’s an NAIA quarterback. It’s not as if he was riding the bench behind strong performers while in Madison.

I think they're shopping for a QB. Not sure they'll just take anybody. More specificly, I think they'll offer a QB who is absolutely clearly an upgrade. Not just ' a guy with growth potential '

The coaches will sit down with DH after the spring game and give him an assessment of where he is. He may well be in the portal himself following that meeting. I fully expect us to bring in a transfer QB regardless of whether he is here or not.

I actually get the vibe from trying to read between the lines that the staff would LOVE to have someone jump Hill on the depth chart, but when you run an offense that refuses to include a single run play for your QB (other than QB sneaks), any player that stands as big and tall as Hill does in the pocket is going to have an advantage -- all other things being equal. If Iowa ran an offense that stretched and stressed a defense horizontally with a QB that could occasionally run, Hill would immediately fall to the bottom of the depth chart. But they don't...

I actually get the vibe from trying to read between the lines that the staff would LOVE to have someone jump Hill on the depth chart, but when you run an offense that refuses to include a single run play for your QB (other than QB sneaks), any player that stands as big and tall as Hill does in the pocket is going to have an advantage -- all other things being equal. If Iowa ran an offense that stretched and stressed a defense horizontally with a QB that could occasionally run, Hill would immediately fall to the bottom of the depth chart. But they don't...
They talk about Lester adding some RPO, how can they expect Hill to do that? I'm not sure he has agility to play Oline.

They talk about Lester adding some RPO, how can they expect Hill to do that? I'm not sure he has agility to play Oline.
This was discussed in another thread. RPOs are not hard. Fake to the RB and then quick pass to the WR. It does not require the QB to do much other than ride the RB, take a few steps the other way and throw. You probably are thinking of Read Option where the QB has the option to pull and run. Hill cannot do that. No way. Lester's offense is not read option.

We need something to boost our morale. Someone put together a Deacon Hill highlight video so we can reflect on the good times. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things...

I am ALWAYS in favor of Iowa going this way when the starter is 1. ineffective or 2. not healthy. This never giving dudes a chance and riding with near one percentile league wide performers has gotta stop. Either rotate series, quarters, or halves. If Saban can afford to do it in Championship games, I think we can do it against a North Texas or a Tennessee State.

In Lester’s presser he was asked if he has a QB that can run the ball when the play calls for it and he specifically said Marko can run the ball. He has been getting twice the reps all the other QB’s has been getting. This will make many happy on the forum (including me). He did mention that Hill is throwing the ball much better compared to how was doing at the beginning of practice. Tim mentioned Hill’s mechanics were off especially his stance was off balance. This is what I expected could happen with a OC that knows his QB shit.

Last edited:

Latest posts