Is everyone ready...

Come on gang. tell me your secret thoughts... have you wondered if Iowa will roll Wisconsin? c'mon... tell the secrets of your heart !

Anyway, I think they are focusing more on winning and less on a specific process (run on 1st and 2nd down)

Isn't that the best way for winning? Heck I really don't know if that is true though it makes sense to me, it just sounded right to say that. However, I think these words best sum it up:

"We'll take what the other team gives us. We'll scratch where it itches."

- Hayden Fry

The key against Wisconsin is whether Iowa can avoid a letdown. That was a very emotional win against Ohio State. We are going to need a similar effort against the Badgers. It's hard for these kids to maintain the intensity when everyone is talking about how great they played.

I think OSU just refused to blitz like other teams, and didn't break out of man coverage. Stanley had all day to find Fant and Hockenson.

That will not happen with Wisconsin.

Pretty high dolt quotient here, or at least a lot of selective memory.

The Hawks HAVE been trying to open up the run via the pass. But when the passes were getting dropped, or penalties were committed, or assignments were missed, or balls were overthrown, the "run" portion was playing behind the eight ball.

We really didn't see anything "new" last Saturday, other than better execution by the offense and The Dumbest Head-Butt of All Time by one of O$Us wunderkind DLinemen.

If we revert to field position BS; sitting on a 7pt lead; running repeatedly into the same wall and kneeling at the end of each half we'll have our answer as to what the future will look like.[/QUOTE]
Iowa has the defense especially if they have the gap control and are tackling really well. We see all teams have a bad tackling game sometimes so that cant happen. And the hawks can pass to set up the run especially if they pass block well. Wisky may have a really good pass rush.
This is another side note to the thread, I agree, but Iowa's pass defense sucks. Penn State, Iowa State and now tOSU shows this. Wasn't Parker a defensive backs coordinator when he first came to Iowa? Sheese..
Maybe Iowa doesn't want to get out to a big lead against some teams because Iowa's passing defense can allow opponents back into the game with the blink of an eye.

Then again, having a big lead against the opponent acts as A DEFENSE IN ITSELF...pay attention, KF. When the score is lopsided like in the tOSU game, Iowa's defense knows what's coming. It's like putting opponents' offenses in a third and long situation on every play. What irony. Instead of opponents knowing what Iowa's offense will run, Iowa will know what opponents' offenses will run.

Last edited:
Then again, having a big lead against the opponent acts as A DEFENSE IN ITSELF...pay attention, KF. When the score is lopsided like in the tOSU game, Iowa's defense knows what's coming. It's like putting opponents' offenses in a third and long situation on every play. What irony. Instead of opponents knowing what Iowa's offense will run, Iowa will know what opponents' offenses will run.

This point cannot be emphasized enough.
We all know the defense can help the offense. Witness the pick 6 in the first 8 seconds. That immediately shattered OSU's veneer of invincibility against Iowa.
But what we rarely see is the offense helping the defense. As Homer astutely pointed out, when the offense forces our rival to play from behind, the defense has a better idea of what is coming. In other words, if you're behind by 3 scores you ain't gonna be running the ball like you want. You're gonna go to the air. Iowa has guys like Rugumba; Hooker; Jackson; Snyder; Gervase. Those guys can get it done when they know what is coming.

Iowa could lose to Wisky even if execution was near perfect and the offense & defense was called superbly. Wisky is that good. Which is why Iowa will have zero chance if they revert to past practices. The only way to beat Wisky is to break tendencies and keep your foot on the gas the entire game.

I will not predict kirk ferentz with permanent changes to become aggressive on offense. but, it better become permanent. if he doesn't unleash Stanley from now until his graduation and then draft into the NFL, then he should be fired for gross negligence and dereliction of duties.
Neither of those would constitute cause under his contract. Short of him personally being worse than Sandusky or getting nailed for wire fraud by the FBI, it's gonna be pretty hard to implicate cause to avoid that buyout.

owa has guys like Rugumba; Hooker; Jackson; Snyder; Gervase. Those guys can get it done when they know what is coming.

I have no idea why OSU didn't stick to that read option when they were down 14 early in the 3rd quarter. We really didn't have an answer for it and once they started throwing, that game was ovah.

I would love to see this be the turning point...but I'll remain skeptical until we have a decent body of evidence to that effect. It seems that every time Kirk has had success venturing out of his comfort zone...he always regresses to the mean...so to speak.

We may lose to Wisconsin next week (they have the home adv on this one) but at least go down swinging.

Neither of those would constitute cause under his contract. Short of him personally being worse than Sandusky or getting nailed for wire fraud by the FBI, it's gonna be pretty hard to implicate cause to avoid that buyout.

ok4p, for "cause" would simply be "cause" he's an idiot for not running the offense through Stanley's right arm. :)

I have no idea why OSU didn't stick to that read option when they were down 14 early in the 3rd quarter. We really didn't have an answer for it and once they started throwing, that game was ovah.
I don't know either. My guess is Barrett IV was getting too beat up to continue as the running back on each read option.

I like what the OP is doing....I see it....NO WAY THEY DO THAT AGAIN!!! :)

But seriously, if they go into Wisconsin and try to beat them by running the ball we are going to get our asses handed to us.

The OPs argument has merit.

Iowa's win/offensive strategy vs OSU will be put in a more accurate context after the Bucky game.

"Everything including the kitchen sink for one game" or "Our new offense strategy"

I hope the latter over the former obviously.

No way we go back to the norm. Not after hanging 55 on tOSU. No way FKF doesnt let BF do what he is paid to do.

If we do go back to that crap and lose, I will be howling.

I'll just wait to see. I believe the game is there for the taking if the Hawks play as aggressive as they did last Sat. Wisky going to want to pound pound and pound. If our D is in the right gaps and tackle well I think we win. If not and we go back to run, run and run I expect another 17-10 loss.

I just don't know what to expect. So I will just say what I want to happen. Come in and play from Shotgun all first half. You can still run power and zone from it. You can line Fant up anywhere. I would like to see him get a jet sweep even. That would leave a poor CB to try to bring him down. Spread Wisconsin thin. They will crumble. They are injured on D and Iowa has a QB that can deal. We can beat them with hot reads if they over blitz and we can beat them deep with time in the pocket when they back off of the blitz. Let them go to the locker room confused and tired. While they are adjusting game plan to counter. Then we come out in the second half and deploy the formations from the OSU game. That should be enough to keep them uncomfortable and out of sync. Enough for us to win.