Is Evelyn the PG the rest of the way?

tweeterhawk

Bakari had a nice game in Chicago. The rest of the team seemed to respond to his presence. Hate to write off JT after a brutal opening few minutes but he obviously needs more experience and seasoning at this level in order to be the floor leader.

I don’t know what other options Fran has.

I expect Joe to bounce back, but I think we can also expect more spells like Friday night. Fran saw enough from Joe over the last week to name him the starter. Thankfully Iowa, even with all the attrition it’s faces, actually still does have options. Our coach has recruited really well and this team at one point had tremendous depth it appears.

I expect Joe to bounce back, but I think we can also expect more spells like Friday night. Fran saw enough from Joe over the last week to name him the starter. Thankfully Iowa, even with all the attrition it’s faces, actually still does have options. Our coach has recruited really well and this team at one point had tremendous depth it appears.
Fran did indeed name Joe the starter, but it was apparent that he told Evelyn to be ready to go as well. Sans early foul trouble Fran almost never subs before the first media time out. He usually waits until close to the second media timeout, or during that timeout, to get the first subs in.

Bakari had a nice game in Chicago. The rest of the team seemed to respond to his presence. Hate to write off JT after a brutal opening few minutes but he obviously needs more experience and seasoning at this level in order to be the floor leader.

I don’t know what other options Fran has.

no denying BE played well and JT horribly. but, through the end of the Cincy game, BE has had exactly 1 good game. JT has had several games where he played well. so, no, JT is still the guy. hopefully, BE now has confidence that he can be a shooter and scorer because i feel that is where he is going to be most needed, now that JBo is down.

Hopefully with a combo of the 2 playing significant minutes , actually 3 with Connor in the mix , at least one of them will be the go to guy on any given night , comment was made that BE has had 1 good game , well that 1 good game was really good when we needed it , so here is to hoping that is the catapult ne needed to get going and that his good play will continue , I for one think it will , JT will be a good one in the future , he does have a learning curve to go thru to get there , he just needs to slow down and let the game come to him a little bit , and then use his quicks

I wouldn't say Evelyn plays the 1 the rest of the way, that would be a bit of an overreaction and would be to the detriment of Touissant's development. But with Moss transferring out, Bohannon now shelved the rest of the way, and Touissant being inexperienced it is clear the depth and experience Evelyn brings is vital. I still think Touissant gets the majority of the PG minutes with McCaffery getting time as well. Evelyn can play the 1 if needed and he can spell Frederick at the 2 as well. He won't be a consistent double digit scorer but I'd wager he will have 2 or 3 more games like this the rest of the way as depth comes into play alot in the Big Ten.

No... just no. It was one game and Evelyn certainly had a nice night. Hitting his first shot seemed to help his confidence. He still has an assist to turnover ratio below 1:1, which was about what he had at Valpo. He’s not really a true PG, he’s more of a combo guard.

Toussaint had a really rough night obviously but he just had a great game in our prior game against Iowa State. He’s had a lot of good moments throughout the year. I still maintain that Fran kind of clipped Toussaint’s wings the other night by sitting him almost the entire first half after starting, not to mention he got a tough whistle from the refs because I’m not sure that was a travel and it didn’t seem like that was a play that an offensive foul is typically called on either.

Hopefully that was Joe T’s “DePaul” moment if you will because we are going to need him at PG. We are also going to need Evelyn to keep playing with confidence because he is huge for our depth as the only guard off the bench.

Toussaint is our PG of the future, Iowa needs to develop him at the position. So I'm gonna give him the start against the much weaker opponent Kennesaw State, hopefully he can get his confidence back in this game. If he does well I'd give him a crack against PSU. Either way Evelyn is gonna see a lot of minutes regardless if he starts or not.

We got exposed and every single coach and team in the league took notice. You all know whats coming.

We still need Joe T to be a contributor going forward. How to best accomplish that? Joe T needs to play to continue to gain experience and grow his game. I'd consider starting him making it clear that his minutes depend on how well he plays. If he can go in and contribute and not implode he'll stay in the game, if he is turniing over the ball, fouling, shooting poorly it's pine time and the bench for him.

BE can still be effective coming off the bench. Plus we don't know if he will consistently contribute as we are hoping he will. Plus, who is playing at the end of the game is what's really important.

I would say ball handling will be a key focus. Isn't the definition of a guard, any guard, that you can bring the ball up the court? Maybe it's a collective effort? Fran and staff will be working on this I'm guessing.

No, I don't see Bakari becoming our PG because he had one good game. I mean he still had 5 TO, you can't have that out of your PG and expect to win most nights.
The argument could be made that without JT on the floor, basically the 36 minutes he didn’t play, Iowa had about 20 turnovers, which is terrible. Basically they were without a PG for that time because Evelyn is really more of a combo guard and Connor hasn’t played there much recently either.

I said this a few weeks back, but what were Joe T’s turnovers? A travel, an offensive foul, and one throwaway pass. I can live with a travel and an offensive foul, because those don’t lead to dunks and layups the other way, like Kriener’s do, okay sorry for picking on Kriener but Jesus I have never seen a big man not named Tyler Cook turn the basketball over as much as that guy.

The argument could be made that had Fran left Joe T out there for more run he might have turned the ball over a bunch more, but it’s also possible that he would have settled in and been able to handle Cincy’s pressure much better than the others who were out there in the second half did. Bottom line it was great to get out of there with a win now we move on.

The argument could be made that without JT on the floor, basically the 36 minutes he didn’t play, Iowa had about 20 turnovers, which is terrible. Basically they were without a PG for that time because Evelyn is really more of a combo guard and Connor hasn’t played there much recently either.

I said this a few weeks back, but what were Joe T’s turnovers? A travel, an offensive foul, and one throwaway pass. I can live with a travel and an offensive foul, because those don’t lead to dunks and layups the other way, like Kriener’s do, okay sorry for picking on Kriener but Jesus I have never seen a big man not named Tyler Cook turn the basketball over as much as that guy.

The argument could be made that had Fran left Joe T out there for more run he might have turned the ball over a bunch more, but it’s also possible that he would have settled in and been able to handle Cincy’s pressure much better than the others who were out there in the second half did. Bottom line it was great to get out of there with a win now we move on.

It's interesting to think about. Its possible that Fran being so hard on Joe almost cost us the game and the team would have ended up with way less if he stayed in the game.

We got exposed and every single coach and team in the league took notice. You all know whats coming.
I love how people think that teams that don’t press often are all of the sudden just going to press Iowa to death. Cincy has literally been playing that style for years, that’s what they are built to do. You have to give them some credit in that regard but not many B1G teams are built that way.

Evelyn and Cmac haven’t played hardly any PG in the last several weeks and were asked to do it for nearly the entire game. Not to mention we had a lot of silly lazy turnovers. Iowa was one of the better assist to turnover teams in the country coming into that game, and while part of that is Jbo I don’t think it’s the whole story.

Iowa will be fine. This was a post finals week lay-off stinker performance that we somehow managed to win, which was great to see.

Besides just the volume of turnovers I think the outcome the other night could be expected. It was really the first time those guys got a chance to play being the man and it was against one of the more aggressive defenses we played all year. Once they get some more time it should be get better, but it was one game we will see what corrections are made. The real issue is going to be free throws. JB is the one constant on the team regardless of pressure and how everyone else was shooting the guy was lights out at the end of the game.

I am more concerned with some of the repeated lazy passes on the perimeter and why guys consistently would pick up their dribble and then be stuck.

Yep. Finally after 11 games a team decided to try really hard on defense and it worked. Now everyone else is going to know that trying hard on defense gives them a better chance to win. I wonder if teams will also implement that strategy on the other teams they play. You never know, playing hard on defense might work on other teams too.

Teams have been pressuring Iowa's guards for years. Especially when JBO was at point. Going to be business as usual.

At the end of the day, it’s one game. Iowa had a 9 day layoff between games during which time they had finals. It’s the first game without JBo and their F pg couldn’t find his footing bc he was slipping. Meanwhile Cinci had a home game vs TN that they won 4 days earlier and seem to be crescendoing into a decent team. Iowa righted the ship over the last 8 minutes and made the plays they needed to make. BE had a solid game particularly for a guy that hadn’t played much this season but as another poster said he had 5 TOs. What that shows to me is that he can be a contributor this year. We saw a similar game out of Dailey vs CO in SD and he didn’t end up rocketing into a starter or top contributor. Similarly, we have seen rough outings from JBo over the years. I think JT will still be your starting pg and CMac the backup but BE will end up getting at least half of JBo’s minutes playing 15ish a game at the 1-3. JT will play 25-30.

Latest posts