Is asking the players to overcome bad coaching fair?

A

alexzelada

The Hawkeyes do not have less talent than the Gophers or Cyclones. 9 wins is the true "floor" for this team.

Again how is it coaching when they win at home and lose on the road? The same O who can put up 30-40 home cant even sniff the endzone on the road. We almost got shut out twice this year on the road. Yet I think if either game was played at home we would win.
If you are saying we need more practice time with loud speakers going, ok. If you are saying we need to get the bully attitude again, ok. But to say it's coaching just shows how little you know about playing the game. Did you want KF to run out on the field during the game and tell Coker, make up your mind and lower the shoulder for a 2 yard gain instead of a no gain/ loss?

I guess I'm not sure what this post means. They go hand in hand. If the players perform poorly or don't execute ultimately that is the coaches' responsibility. There is just no getting around it. The defense did their job today, way to go Norm. The offense absolutely sucked today, horrible job O'keefe. The team lost 20-7, horrible job Ferentz. They are the ones getting paid and getting paid well.

Our players are nowhere near the talent level of Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan. We are very fortunate to go 7-5 and a lot more of it had to do with our soft schedule vs. anything we did on the schedule.

Our players are nowhere near the talent level of Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan. We are very fortunate to go 7-5 and a lot more of it had to do with our soft schedule vs. anything we did on the schedule.

Is that right. Well, like I said in another thread going into this game we had the #1 qb in receiving yards in the Big 10, #1 wr in receiving yards, and the #2 rb in rushing yards. And we couldn't score until 3 minutes left in the game against Nebraska who Michigan(a team we beat) rolled up 45 points on.

Yep, I agree. We have some young ones that could turn out to be monsters, but this year we all knew we were rebuilding. The D did a good job of getting better as the year went on. But over all look what we lost to the NFL last year, plus a new qb, plus a soph RB who was dinged pre season getting all the carries. Next year we will be good on O (with drive and work) and if we can get some of those big freshmen up to speed, we wont be run on very easy either. The secondary had some younger guys on it this year who will be better next as well. I hope Mc Call gets his head on straight, as he could be a big asset in the future, heck who knows he might break some records. We all know atleast he would complement Coker very well. We just need the team to have the drive all off season and to drive some competition within the program. There is room to move up, question is do we have the kids willing to put in the work to move up?
I say make all the kids coming back spend 15 min everyday looking at an empty trophy case before practice and the first question after that is are you willing to do anything about it?

Yep, I agree. We have some young ones that could turn out to be monsters, but this year we all knew we were rebuilding. The D did a good job of getting better as the year went on. But over all look what we lost to the NFL last year, plus a new qb, plus a soph RB who was dinged pre season getting all the carries. Next year we will be good on O (with drive and work) and if we can get some of those big freshmen up to speed, we wont be run on very easy either. The secondary had some younger guys on it this year who will be better next as well. I hope Mc Call gets his head on straight, as he could be a big asset in the future, heck who knows he might break some records. We all know atleast he would complement Coker very well. We just need the team to have the drive all off season and to drive some competition within the program. There is room to move up, question is do we have the kids willing to put in the work to move up?
I say make all the kids coming back spend 15 min everyday looking at an empty trophy case before practice and the first question after that is are you willing to do anything about it?[/QUOT

You are correct. We don't have the players. You can't blame that on a staff that has been here for 13 years. Must be execution.

I guess I'm not sure what this post means. They go hand in hand. If the players perform poorly or don't execute ultimately that is the coaches' responsibility. There is just no getting around it. The defense did their job today, way to go Norm. The offense absolutely sucked today, horrible job O'keefe. The team lost 20-7, horrible job Ferentz. They are the ones getting paid and getting paid well.

Your are right, Eddy. Holding NE to 20 points at home is a pretty darn good job by the defense. The offense let us down, today. Terrible game in all phases, specifically coaching. Vandy had no idea where to throw or what to do. That is coaching preparation.

I heavily suspected a loss, but a butt wuppin' is inexcusable.

Against ISU Castillo was a starter and Bernstine wasn't. You fix those 2 decisions and Iowa beats the Cyclones.

Against Minnesota we were fooled on the SAME fake TWO YEARS IN A ROW

That's 2 games we win with a head coach who thinks outside the box. Iowa's problem is not a lack of talent. That 2010 team had a top 10 scoring defense and lost 5 games. Putting those losses on Stanzi makes the apologists feel better. But those honest with themselves know why we lost 5 games in 2010, and why we underachieved big time this year.

we were basically up and down all year, but coaching decisions could have been much better in putting us in a better situation to actually compete to win the games we didn't.

You are correct. We don't have the players. You can't blame that on a staff that has been here for 13 years. Must be execution.[/QUOTE]

Every recruit no matter the "stars" is a gamble. Thats the cool part about humans, they all are different and react different to different things. Some do well, when the preverbile 5hit hits the fan, others not so much. I dont know why that is, I dont think it matters how much coaching they get. I know humans dont come with instrutions or tats on their foreheads that say whats what. It's born into you. Some have it some dont. There is no way, that I have found to pick out who is who, in just a little bit of time (like recruiting). I think KF gets it. I think, KF gets it. Sad part is, I just dont think there are very many GOOD players like that anymore. I remember a Green Bay player once saying, "I love to play the game. If I had to work all week, that would be fine as long as I got to play ball on the weekends." The game, is just that, a game. How proud would we be if a former player won a nobel prize, discovered a habital planet or whatever it is they are into? I for one support this program, for what it is. Yes I would love to see us be national champs, but not at the expense of a crooked program, or a child molestiing one, or at the cost of not making the kids we do get become better men, thereby producing a better society. I know I see things different then most. I still want to win, it may just be that I want to win at something more impotant than a football game. We are winning, it's just some of you dont see it.

It's a little bit of everyone's fault here. The players for not executing, and the coaches for poor preparation, gameplans, and recruiting. The attrition is pretty awful as well.

Nobody gets a pass. Not this deep into the Ferentz era.

It's a little bit of everyone's fault here. The players for not executing, and the coaches for poor preparation, gameplans, and recruiting. The attrition is pretty awful as well.

Nobody gets a pass. Not this deep into the Ferentz era.

The question is "What do we do to get better"? Fire the players? That doesn't seem like the answer.

We've now got Glen Mason's football program and we're paying for Nick Saban results.

Shirley in a sane world the people in charge of the Titanic are responsible for whether it gets to its destination?

The question is "What do we do to get better"? Fire the players? That doesn't seem like the answer.

We've now got Glen Mason's football program and we're paying for Nick Saban results.

Shirley in a sane world the people in charge of the Titanic are responsible for whether it gets to its destination?
I don;t think you know what's going on.....Glen Mason? Really? You're a joke.

Again how is it coaching when they win at home and lose on the road? The same O who can put up 30-40 home cant even sniff the endzone on the road. We almost got shut out twice this year on the road. Yet I think if either game was played at home we would win.
If you are saying we need more practice time with loud speakers going, ok. If you are saying we need to get the bully attitude again, ok. But to say it's coaching just shows how little you know about playing the game. Did you want KF to run out on the field during the game and tell Coker, make up your mind and lower the shoulder for a 2 yard gain instead of a no gain/ loss?

This sums up the coaching situation! Great post and right on target.

Against ISU Castillo was a starter and Bernstine wasn't. You fix those 2 decisions and Iowa beats the Cyclones.

Against Minnesota we were fooled on the SAME fake TWO YEARS IN A ROW

That's 2 games we win with a head coach who thinks outside the box. Iowa's problem is not a lack of talent. That 2010 team had a top 10 scoring defense and lost 5 games. Putting those losses on Stanzi makes the apologists feel better. But those honest with themselves know why we lost 5 games in 2010, and why we underachieved big time this year.

Bernstine was sick

Latest posts