Is Adam Woodbury a Make or Break Prospect?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa basketball recruiting has once again captured the imagination of Iowa fans....well, recruiting has a tendency to do that, even when your program is going through some tough times. Heck, that's all some fans have had to look forward to over the course of the last four years, that being the future due to the bleak prognosis of the then present...sorry if that is a little Back to the Futurish with tense travel and all.

On Monday, Hawkcentral.com had a write up with quotes from seven-foot hoop star Adam Woodbury of Sioux City. He was recently named the MVP of the NBA Top-100 Players Association Camp, a big honor for the big man.

Home grown Top 100 seven-foot centers don't come around all that often...the last I can recall was a mid-1990's player from Monona named Raef LaFrentz, and he went to Kansas and went on to become one of the five greatest Jayhawks of all time and has earned more money playing professional sports than any Iowan in history. OK, perhaps Raef was a shade under seven-feet, but you get the idea.

Woodbury is not a make or break recruit...he's a make recruit. Meaning, if Iowa doesn't get him it doesn't doom the Fran McCaffery era. However, if Iowa can land him, and get a commitment from him by say September, it could be like jet fuel with regards to turning this program around. Get Woodbury in that time frame and then you can use that momentum to perhaps convince a few other players to come your way.

In the item linked above, Woodbury says he wants to get his decision out of the way before the start of his senior season. That begins in late November. While the above scenario would be ideal, Iowa would be more than happy with a commitment from Woodbury at any time over the course of the next 10 months...

But fans are remaining cautious, as you can read in this thread...it's just one example of the mindset that has crept into the minds of some fans due to the Todd Lickliter years.

I won't lie to you and say I don't understand that mindset; I do. Lately, I have sort of taken the stance of 'Hey, when something good happens to the program I will be real excited about it, but I am not going to sit around holding my breath.' I can understand some that don't care for that mentality, but I am not a player or coach and what I think has no bearing on the success or lack there of the program.

However, that thawed a bit for me this spring as Iowa grabbed a couple of late commits that have the fan base energized...that and a favorable 2011-2012 schedule is a nice foundation for optimism that seems to be creeping throughout Hawkeye Nation as it relates to the hoops program.

Iowa is after another Sioux City prep in the form of Mike Gesell, a sharp shooting guard. The Hawks have a commitment from 6-9/220 forward Kyle Meyer of Georgia who has had a solid spring.

While Iowa's most recent recruiting class was ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten, McCaffery feels he added a solid mix where Iowa needed help...we'll soon get a chance to see all of those pieces in action, but adding a player like Adam Woodbury in this next class would be pretty exciting.

However, the competition may be stiff by the time summer gives way to fall. Ohio State has offered, and they have been a big man factory in recent years. Kansas and North Carolina are sniffing around, and possibly Duke.

No, I don't think he is make or break...but he could break a lot of bad juju that has surrounded the program since Steve Alford's last year and the three year rock bottom that was the Lickliter era.

I have been saying for years that we need a solid 7 ft center that can block and score. Eric Hansen was 7ft and could only block shots (he did make a few nice jump shots...)
I believe Adam is the guy we are looking for. hopefully Fran finds a way to land him. I am crossing my fingers!

Yes he is make or break....

If he goes elsewhere it just shows how pathetic Iowa BB is now and for the near future in the good recruits eyes.

I think he is a turning point in Iowa basketball, we have to land a big time prospect to make that turn. I think Adam is that guy.

He's not make or break at all. The I think landing him makes Fran's job easier, on the recruiting trail and in the eyes of some fans, but not getting him doesn't mean he won't get the job done.

If anything it will just be another added reminder of how far down the program had fallen, and how much work needs to be done.

Yes he is make or break....

If he goes elsewhere it just shows how pathetic Iowa BB is now and for the near future in the good recruits eyes.

I'm sure this is just shtick, but if it isn't it's gotta suck being around you on a regular basis.

Hopefully not a complete pipe dream for 2013-2014:

PG- Gessel (Sophomore)
SG- Oglesby (Junior)
SF- Marble (Senior)
PF- Basabe (Senior)
C- Woodbury (Sophomore)

Bench: McCabe (Senior)
Meyer (Sophomore)
White (Junior)

I dont expect Iowa to land any top recruits until it starts winning more games and returns to the post season.

Iowa won't start winning without signing better players.

This team came off another historically bad season. They signed four players who are developmental, with one only having two years of eligibility. One of these players might end up on an all-frosh team, but that would be out of necessity, and wouldn't be the case if he was on one of the teams in the top half of the league.

Those kinds of players are fine, if you stick some top players around them. However, it is hard to get top players, particularly if you can't get the ones in your own backyard.

So, is Woodbury break it? Yes, if Fran can't get another player of his level. And how is he going to be able to do that if he can't close with someone like Woodbury?

Finally, I can't believe Gessel would come to Iowa if Woody went elsewhere. I would expect he would look at a Mid-major that had a good recent history of success.

Could an Adam Woodbury commitment be as important to Iowa Basketball as the commitment of Blake Larson to a struggling Kirk Ferentz-led was for the Iowa football team?

Comparing football and basketball is silly. Football has 85 scholarships for 24 positions, one of which often doesn't get a scholarship. Basketball has 13 scholarships for 5 positions. To make a comparison you would have to give basketball 21-23 scholarships.

Look at it this way. In football most players are in the program 3 years before they start making a difference. In basketball you wouldn't be able to field a team with that scenario.

IMHO, no he is not "make or break" however he is an essential piece to the puzzle. The puzzle is the NCAA tournament. Without Woodbury could the Hawks see the tournament sometime with in a few years? Its likely. Would bringing him in make it easier? Yes. We as fans and the team as a whole will survive without him, but it would be one heck of a gift to land him.

Iowa won't start winning without signing better players.

This team came off another historically bad season. They signed four players who are developmental, with one only having two years of eligibility. One of these players might end up on an all-frosh team, but that would be out of necessity, and wouldn't be the case if he was on one of the teams in the top half of the league.

Those kinds of players are fine, if you stick some top players around them. However, it is hard to get top players, particularly if you can't get the ones in your own backyard.

So, is Woodbury break it? Yes, if Fran can't get another player of his level. And how is he going to be able to do that if he can't close with someone like Woodbury?

Finally, I can't believe Gessel would come to Iowa if Woody went elsewhere. I would expect he would look at a Mid-major that had a good recent history of success.

You would put Mike Gessel, an ESPU top 100 player, in a mid-major program??? What are you thinking, Sam Houston State? Maybe Missouri State?

I may end up rooting for Woodbury to go elsewhere just to run off some of the dimmer bulbs out there who think he's "make or break."

Hopefully not a complete pipe dream for 2013-2014:

PG- Gessel (Sophomore)
SG- Oglesby (Junior)
SF- Marble (Senior)
PF- Basabe (Senior)
C- Woodbury (Sophomore)

Bench: McCabe (Senior)
Meyer (Sophomore)
White (Junior)

Put White at the three and Marble at the two, with Og's coming off the bench as a shooter and you got me.

Not "make or break", but he can certainly be a "make" recruit. We can move on without him if we have to, but getting him would be a HUGE positive impact for the program.

We already have a nice class, so if he commits it's definitly a make class!! Landing Gessell kept us from having a break class. So how how cool is it gonna be to have them both!!

Latest posts