Is #15 Iowa's Greatest All Time Player? Who is on your Mt. Rushmore for Iowa BB?

ChosenChildren

I'm still experiencing the euphoric high of the last 4 days. Wow, was that amazing.

I've been watching Iowa basketball carefully since 1964 and seen a lot of great players. Is Murray the best ever? I say yes....even more dominant than the great Ronnie Lester.

My Mt. Rushmore:

Murray
Lester
Garza
Fred Brown

I'm still experiencing the euphoric high of the last 4 days. Wow, was that amazing.

I've been watching Iowa basketball carefully since 1964 and seen a lot of great players. Is Murray the best ever? I say yes....even more dominant than the great Ronnie Lester.

My Mt. Rushmore:

Murray
Lester
Garza
Fred Brown

Hard to argue with those four... we could easily go 8 deep

Murray, Marble, Armstrong, Garza are mine but I'm excluding anyone that I didn't get to see play or remember. I was too damn young to remember Lester. Bobby Hanson came really close.

Murray, Marble, Armstrong, Garza are mine but I'm excluding anyone that I didn't get to see play or remember. I was too damn young to remember Lester. Bobby Hanson came really close.

BJ was a terrific player and all around Hawkeye...and he won a ring with the Bulls. But Ronnie...was something special to see. Smoothest guy I've ever seen with a basketball...he just glided like he was on skates

BJ was a terrific player and all around Hawkeye...and he won a ring with the Bulls. But Ronnie...was something special to see. Smoothest guy I've ever seen with a basketball...he just glided like he was on skates

Like I said I went with players I could remember. I vaguely remember Iowa being in the Final Four, I think it triggered my Hawkeye fandom as it got everyone excited. I do remember Lester playing for the Lakers in the NBA. I remember Steve Carfino was my favorite player as a kid.

Like I said I went with players I could remember. I vaguely remember Iowa being in the Final Four, I think it triggered my Hawkeye fandom as it got everyone excited. I do remember Lester playing for the Lakers in the NBA. I remember Steve Carfino was my favorite player as a kid.
Did Carfino date Lutes’ daughter. He had a great career in Europe, I think I remember.

In order of greatness…

1) Murray
2) Lester
3) Garza
4) Armstrong/Marble tossup

Keegan Murray is a next-level talent like the Hawks have never seen. He would start on any blue blood in the nation and still be gone after his sophomore year. I love Garza to death, but Murray is a whole different zip code.

Do you think that if Ricky Davis had stayed for another year he would be in the discussion with Keegan?
That was my first year on the beat

Ricky may have been the best athlete I've seen but I think Keegan is more skilled and a significantly better two-way basketball player at this stage

My Mt. Rushmore:

Murray
Lester
Garza
Fred Brown
I was going to start a thread about Keegan being Iowa's GOAT, but thought I'd get ripped for it. He is the best player I've seen in an Iowa uniform. Of course, some of you old duffers may argue that several guys from the 1970 "six pack" team would be better (yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you dad!).

And back in Ronnie's day you had no shot clock and no five second closely guarded rule. That made a ball handling magician even more important then than it is now.

Don't sleep on Brig Tubbs.
Brig Tubbs.

Mr. Davis was always trying to make a player out of him. He would tear it up in the summer, and in practice, and Davis would always mention him as a sleeper. Year after year.

He would be first off the bench in non conference games. And in early B1G games. Even start occasionally. But you could tell when February 1st had arrived without looking at a calendar. Brig would be nailed to the bench, never to be heard from again.

Until summer leagues started again. But then again he wasn't going up against Deon Thomas, Eric Anderson, Parrish Hickman or Perry Carter in those leagues.

My memory sucks so I can’t really say. I loved Woolridge. Keegan makes it look so easy almost like he’s not trying real hard. Does he even sweat? Rewatch the dunk off of Connors baseball pass at the end of the game. His strides are so long he’s 3 steps ahead of his defender before they realize that they have been beat. That’s at the end of the game that he never left the floor.

Latest posts