ironside's gambral comments on radio

Is it just me or do about every one of Gambral's matches go into OT? It's like he only does as much as he has to to win. Pretty disappointing.

I was really looking forward to seeing him dominate at 174. At this point I wouldn't mind seeing Evans move up and suffering the consequences with Moore at 165. GG is no Morningstar!

I was really looking forward to seeing him dominate at 174. At this point I wouldn't mind seeing Evans move up and suffering the consequences with Moore at 165. GG is no Morningstar!
So. I take it after three matches that Gambrall failed and let everyone down? I guess know one thinks to highly of Nick Moore either? I can't remember Morningstar winning a NCAA championship. Utterly fricking ridiculous.

So. I take it after three matches that Gambrall failed and let everyone down? I guess know one thinks to highly of Nick Moore either? I can't remember Morningstar winning a NCAA championship. Utterly fricking ridiculous.
No, Gambrall is letting himself down. It's frustrating watching him wrestle below his ability.

Concerning Moore, my intent wasn't to put him down. By "suffering the consequences" I meant make a decision and stick with the outcome (consequences don't always have to be negative).

My reference to M* is that he had some close matches but you knew he was going to beat the guys he was supposed to beat. With GG there's no guarantee...the outcome's the same regardless of the caliber of his opponent.

Finally, Mark Ironside is the one quoted in the OP. I guess he doesn't know what he's talking about either? Bottom line is it's ok that we disagree and have different opinions. That doesn't make either one of us a criminal or an unfaithful Hawkeye fan.

Not after 3 matches but after 3 years.

That's the way GG has wrestled ever since he's worn the black singlet. He's not going to get many bonus points and rarely gives up bonus points. He is very frustrating to watch. I'm hoping for different results this year since he's at a new weight but I'm not getting my hopes up.

He was asked what he thought about gg. His answer, "its time for grant to $hit or get off the pot."

I caught the show just after they came back from commercial break when they were apologizing for the language. Yep, Ironside definitely tells it like it is!

Not after 3 matches but after 3 years.

Careerr record of 59-26

All American
National Semi-Finalist

Wins over:

Ryan Loder
Quentin Wright
Joe Leblanc
Travis Rutt
Tony Dallago
Steve Bosak
Jerome Ward

But you guys are right losing in Overtime to the 8th ranked wrestler in the nation the first time Down on weight after Grant dropped 23 pounds from this time last year means Gambrall is dead weight, the guy is just taking up space in the lineup.

I agree with Ironside that GG needs to kick it in the *** and utilize more leg attacks, score earlier in the match and use more setups and chain wrestling. But to act like you the fan are dissapointed in the kid is absurd.

I to was looking forward to a new GG at 174, but maybe not. For me, if he would just act like he is going to be aggressive would be an improvement. he is a bit like Montel in that he tries to do just enough to win, but unlike montel, he never gets that burst of energy to win a close match when he is behind.

i like GG at 174 - it is a confidence thing now. Once he figures out he can scramble and overcome guys, he will be fine. See his come back last weekend when he was down 5-1 - if he lit it up early - that would have been an opportunity for BPs.

Anyways - he does not have the excuse of wrestling over his wt.

HE WILL AA at 174 - MARK MY WORDS!!!!

i like GG at 174 - it is a confidence thing now. Once he figures out he can scramble and overcome guys, he will be fine. See his come back last weekend when he was down 5-1 - if he lit it up early - that would have been an opportunity for BPs.

HE WILL AA at 174 - MARK MY WORDS!!!![/QUOTE]

He might not even be the best 74 pounder in the room. Would not be surprised if he's not in the lineup there. I think he's going to have to go back up.

HE WILL AA at 174 - MARK MY WORDS!!!![/QUOTE]

He might not even be the best 74 pounder in the room. Would not be surprised if he's not in the lineup there. I think he's going to have to go back up.
A confidence thing after "4 years"? I don't believe he is the best 174# in the room or 184#.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and whether Gambrall ends up on the bench his senior year. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wonder if an off-season working out with Doyle bulking up into an actual 197 would have been a better move than moving down a weight class. His wrestling style seems a little better suited for 197.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and whether Gambrall ends up on the bench his senior year. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wonder if an off-season working out with Doyle bulking up into an actual 197 would have been a better move than moving down a weight class. His wrestling style seems a little better suited for 197.

Slow and boring ?

Stick Moore at 165, Evans at 174, and leave Lofthouse at 184. Let's get on with wrestling and wish Gambrall well.

Latest posts