Iowa's Woes are Easily Explainable and Fixable

...what could KF offer as evidence that he 1) cares about such uncoachable attributes and 2) can adapt schemes to play INTO player attributes?

Scheme creativity is non-existent at Iowa. If you look at all of the elite teams I think one of the commonalities among almost all of them are specific packages meant to take advantage of individual player abilities. We just don't do that and we've seen some nearly wasted talent because of it (Damian Sims, for example).

If any team is going to stick solely to a steady, predictable style of play, the only way to win is with nearly flawless execution. When you don't have that (and we didn't this year) you're going to take a hit.

I think KF's style was great for turning a program around (focus on fundamentals, emphasize execution, and minimize mistakes). But once you have the foundation in place and find yourself able to compete with most teams, I think the next step has to come from scheme creativity. Create ways to put pressure on the opposing defense and maximize your game breakers' abilities. That's something we just haven't seen in the Ferentz era, and it's something the top tier teams make a point of doing.

"Recruiting class rankings are complete BS."

Keep telling yourself that while we watch the kids OSU, LSU, Alabama and other top teams recruit and compare with Iowa. Complete BS...complete BS. While these teams are recruiting some of the top talent in the country, Iowa recruits out of position and tries to develop a kid into a position.

But rankings are complete BS...Keep telling yourself that and perhaps you will begin to believe it.

There is a problem with recruiting. We are at #37 now. Have been except for a couple of years near the bottom of the Big Ten. I could see that when KF first took over, but we have been to many New Year's day bowls, beaten historic programs in bowl games. In additon to that we have put Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Shawn Green, and Chad Greenway into the NFL just to name a few. We should be recruiting no worse than top 5 in the big ten in my opinion. I don't know if they are not going after those kids or just can't get them, but we can't rely on molding the whole team from 2* players.

There is a problem with recruiting. We are at #37 now. Have been except for a couple of years near the bottom of the Big Ten. I could see that when KF first took over, but we have been to many New Year's day bowls, beaten historic programs in bowl games. In additon to that we have put Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Shawn Green, and Chad Greenway into the NFL just to name a few. We should be recruiting no worse than top 5 in the big ten in my opinion. I don't know if they are not going after those kids or just can't get them, but we can't rely on molding the whole team from 2* players.

Having Bielema in the league is not good. He was a ****** at KSU, really emerged with Bobby Elliott during Iwebema's recruitment. Think he is less a ****** now? NO

There is also a reason NW and Indiana get better receivers than Iowa....but most Iowa fans are in man love with KF and don't realize how his obstinacy and refusal to scheme to individual strengths hurts the program's reputation.

You do NOT go to Iowa if you wish to catch TD passes and stretch the field down hill. WRs disappear at Iowa and reemerge as small OLs. WRs at Iowa are just subsidiary linemen.

Here we go with the "scheme" mantra again. Seriously, buy a noose already, KF is in for the long haul and the Spread Option West Coast Wild Hawk Run and Shoot isn't coming to town.

Here we go with the "scheme" mantra again. Seriously, buy a noose already, KF is in for the long haul and the Spread Option West Coast Wild Hawk Run and Shoot isn't coming to town.

Hmmm.......seems Wisconsin has run a pro-set power running scheme for years and yet....they always feature excellent receivers.

But not Iowa. Why's that? Why do WRs go to Madison but not Iowa? What do they know? What are they being told?

:eek:

Hmmm.......seems Wisconsin has run a pro-set power running scheme for years and yet....they always feature excellent receivers.

But not Iowa. Why's that? Why do WRs go to Madison but not Iowa? What do they know? What are they being told?

That's not possible, you're previous rants have all been riddled with Kirk needing to change scheme. Now you're suggesting that a pro-set power running scheme can have good WR's. Pick a story. The only consistency is Anti-Kirk.

That's not possible, you're previous rants have all been riddled with Kirk needing to change scheme. Now you're suggesting that a pro-set power running scheme can have good WR's. Pick a story. The only consistency is Anti-Kirk.

I am not a scheme-changer. I am saying there is a HUGH recruiting issue with Iowa's reputation and its associated lack of good WRs. What does Iowa's offense say to WRs? Come here and block, boy.

I don't mean just solid Joe Schmoe or Hinkel trypes. Those guys are fine WHEN you have a few gamebreakers.

Why does Iowa not have excellent WRs like other teams? There is an issue here. What is it?

Iowa is going to need the go to reciever next year. So far KMM and Davis have not shown that they are more than second tier recievers.

Here is my Iowa wishlist.
Larger O'linemen 300 lb +
Larger more agressive D'linemen.
Speed, speed, speed. In all phases. RB's, DB's, WR's, TE's, DL.
Recievers who can catch.
Players who hate to lose.

Iowa produces by far & away fewer Big Ten football players than any other state in the conference. Sure Iowa has a problem with recruiting. It's called Iowa. Based on demographics, Iowa should finish near the bottom of the Big Ten in recruiting.

According to Scout.com, Iowa has only three 3* or better prospects this year. In contrast, Ohio has eighty-five 3* or better prospects.

Yeah, the coaching staff needs to do a better job of recruiting all those very fast, very athletic Iowa kids. Oops there are none.

The Iowa coaches are very stupid. All they do is recruit slow players. They do not understand the need for speed.

I just love the threads that state the obvious.

At least two of the games we lost this year were not to more talented teams.

The talent gap this is over played.

I don't think people will complain much when we lose to Ohio State or Oklahoma...

its losing to indiana, minnesota, Iowa State, northwestern ect that people that the problem with.

Why don't you go ahead and list all those excellent receivers we see from Wisky who are light years better than DJK and McNutt? I'd be interested to see that list. I remember a lot of running backs and O-linemen, but not receivers. Who are we seeing play on Sunday from Wisky? And don't throw Lee Evans out there, I'm talking recently.

I agree with the above. How is CJ the third string TE? It took Herman having a horrible season for CJ to move up the depth charts. Tobin over Scherff?
Like you said we're not at practice but some things seems so obvious I dont understand how the coaching staff doesnt see them.

Easily, he never learned how to block effectively. In high school CJ was blocking DE's that were about 190 to 210lbs. Did you watch CJ's blocking in the bowl game? It was sub par. This is D1 football, he will get better, it takes time. You have to have more than just size, strength and athleticism to be successful at this level.

Scherff struggled soon after we entered big ten play. He was lined up against better, quicker and more athletic DE's. He will do fine in his career, it doesn't happen overnight for most lineman. It takes more than just being 6-7 and 310lbs.

Was Tobin the answer at the time? Apparently he was.

Next year will be very interesting with the competition at the TE and OL positions.

Iowa produces by far & away fewer Big Ten football players than any other state in the conference. Sure Iowa has a problem with recruiting. It's called Iowa. Based on demographics, Iowa should finish near the bottom of the Big Ten in recruiting.

According to Scout.com, Iowa has only three 3* or better prospects this year. In contrast, Ohio has eighty-five 3* or better prospects.
That's just scary bad, and only going to get worse.

Iowa is going to need the go to reciever next year. So far KMM and Davis have not shown that they are more than second tier recievers.

Here is my Iowa wishlist.
Larger O'linemen 300 lb +
Larger more agressive D'linemen.
Speed, speed, speed. In all phases. RB's, DB's, WR's, TE's, DL.
Recievers who can catch.
Players who hate to lose.

I think before you get your last wish, you need to go to any one of the players that play and describe how you don't think they hate losing. What a loser statement. That is pathetic. I hope OKwhatshisname archives this and calls it some sort of worst, loser type post in the history of HN. This is like calling out players.

Loser.

Scheme creativity is non-existent at Iowa. If you look at all of the elite teams I think one of the commonalities among almost all of them are specific packages meant to take advantage of individual player abilities. We just don't do that and we've seen some nearly wasted talent because of it (Damian Sims, for example).

If any team is going to stick solely to a steady, predictable style of play, the only way to win is with nearly flawless execution. When you don't have that (and we didn't this year) you're going to take a hit.

I think KF's style was great for turning a program around (focus on fundamentals, emphasize execution, and minimize mistakes). But once you have the foundation in place and find yourself able to compete with most teams, I think the next step has to come from scheme creativity. Create ways to put pressure on the opposing defense and maximize your game breakers' abilities. That's something we just haven't seen in the Ferentz era, and it's something the top tier teams make a point of doing.
LET THE THOROUGHBREDS RUN!

Latest posts