Iowa's starting D-line

WildTurkey

I know much was made of Iowa Losing 3 lineman to the Nfl.. So what next man in.
Saturday is senior day and all 4 guys are what?..
SENIORS! Now or never boys. Nardo,Daniels, Binns and Daniel have been in this program for almost 5 years. My wish is these guys step it up big time for the last 4 games.
Joe Forgey is also a senior. Come on boys get some pressure on the QB more!

Losing 8 d-linemen over two seasons is devastating. KF better have a plan.
As for the rest of this year....we are razor thin,but hopefully can hold up for these last 5,yes count'em 5 games.

Win these last 5 and it will be a dream season,with a Rose Bowl trophy to go with a big ten trophy.

If I was Iowa, for next year I would be scouring FCS rosters and lower FBS rosters for graduating seniors who could enroll in grad school at Iowa and play immediately.

At a minimum, Iowa needs to find 2 players who are ready to play immediately. I know they are looking at the couple of Cali JUCOs. But they will need more than that.

Jump back into the delorean and get back to present day fellas. No sense in worrying about next year when we have a season defining game tomorrow! Save that for Feburary.

Just read Ekakite has Iowa as his favorite. Aaron Curry was here for the Michigan game and says he "likes Iowa a lot". They both want early playing opportunities and we have that. Add Jaleel Johnson and this could be a stout class for the d line. We'll also get Cooper in the mix next year as well. This doesn't help us right away next year, but it could be a sign of possibly returning to the athletic d line we want to get back too.

I agree that the guys that are coming back will not be a good DL, but I also think they get beat out by the young uns. I think the draft class will help right away.

I know a season to Doyalize and learn the system is the best way, but we will need Ekakite (6-3/275) and Jaleel (6-3/290) immediately. I think they will be two of our top 4 DLineman as true freshman...with Cooper (6-2/280) who is redshirting at the other DT spot. Add in Lohn (6-3/265) and we may have 4 new and talented faces in the DL rotation next year.

Last edited:
Saw Desmon Moses playing for Tulane against Houston last night. Guy could have been be a great linebacker or defensive end backup for us depth-wise.

KF still has his reluctance of playing youth, next year we have just 2 seniors. so the need to get the younger players in there will be greater, Carl Davis has had knee problem all fall and is close to being 100%, Cooper is RS as are others, so it is unfair to label them as being no good without getting a chance to play.

Next year's defensive line, featuring

Carl Davis
Steve Bigach
at Tackle

and Darian Cooper and Dominic Alvis at DE should be very talented.

Relax clones

Next year:
Dom Alvis, Carl Davis,Darrian Cooper,Jaleel Johnson,Bigach,Gaglione,Hardy,Spears,McMinnis...that is nine guys at least.
Now,can we add Faith,Lohn,and Curry into that mix?
If so, we will have numbers with a dozen guys. Maybe those juco prospects from Palm Springs? Push it to 14. Build'em up,and throw them out there...you just never know, we were just as desperate when King and Kroul started as frosh inside.

I think Iowa's system makes it challenging for new D-Lineman to step in and play right away. A more attacking system requires less thinking because the defense is dictating the action. Iowa's read-and-react system requires a lot more thinking, something most young guys are not used to doing on the FB field.

I talked with a Hawk DL recently and he told me the first few years here his head never stopped spinning. It wasn't until he got the thinking part down that football started becoming fun again.

The fact that Iowa demands this is why Iowa grads are so pro-ready. But it probably also contributes to the DL attrition. The thing that many of these HS lineman love about football, attacking and hitting people, takes a backseat to thinking once they get here. I think the ones that have stepped in and played right away have great FB IQs, which is as important as the physical gifts that they bring to campus.

my money is on cooper, bigach, spears, and alvis (assuming he heals completely). some experience, some new blood yet a little learned in the system. could see 1 or 2 true frosh as backups and maybe an ol moved over to dl for depth

I agree that the guys that are coming back will not be a good DL, but I also think they get beat out by the young uns. I think the draft class will help right away.

I know a season to Doyalize and learn the system is the best way, but we will need Ekakite (6-3/275) and Jaleel (6-3/290) immediately. I think they will be two of our top 4 DLineman as true freshman...with Cooper (6-2/280) who is redshirting at the other DT spot. Add in Lohn (6-3/265) and we may have 4 new and talented faces in the DL rotation next year.

You mean the recruiting class, right? That just threw me off.

Don't forget about Mike Hardy. Once Doyle works with him another year he could turn out to be pretty good. Or McMinn. He's still real young and could develop nicely. Trinca-Pasat too! It may not be quite as ugly as some of us are thinking (at least I hope not!). Guys like these just need some developmental time. Heck, we have the best strength and conditioning coach in college football! I agree that some real good talent from the H.S. or Juco ranks would definitely not hurt, though.

I know much was made of Iowa Losing 3 lineman to the Nfl.. So what next man in.
Saturday is senior day and all 4 guys are what?..
SENIORS! Now or never boys. Nardo,Daniels, Binns and Daniel have been in this program for almost 5 years. My wish is these guys step it up big time for the last 4 games.
Joe Forgey is also a senior. Come on boys get some pressure on the QB more!

You meant 5 games, right?

Latest posts