Iowa's schedule the rest of the way

Luftgekuehlt67

I don't have any specific agenda, just curious about the numbers and thought I might as well share.

Going off Football Outsiders defensive efficiency ratings through week 7 (so not counting this weekend's games).

(Team) - (defensive efficiency ranking) - (Iowa point output) - (TO margin)

Indiana - 32nd - 34 pts - Iowa +1
Iowa St - 19th - 27 pts - Iowa +4
Kent St - 123rd - 30 pts - Even
Colo St - 29th - 24 pts - Even
Maryland - 102nd - 51 pts - Iowa +7
Penn St - 6th - 23 pts - Iowa +3
Purdue - 20th - 7 pts - Purdue +3
Wisconsin - 2nd - 7 pts - Wisconsin +3
Northwestern - 63rd
Minnesota - 39th
Illinois - 60th
Nebraska - 21st

Not sure what, if anything, can be gleaned from this - I was just curious to see what kind of picture it painted.

The optimist in me would like to see a 3 game win streak against 3 maybe not so great defenses and then hope Nebraska has quit on Frost

Our offense has obviously got major problems - most notably the OL which, unfortunately, probably just needs time to improve. Not a lot we can do other than hope things start to click.

Safe money would be on knock down drag outs the rest of the way out, but 10 wins is definitely still on the table, I think. I think our D is still very, very good, we can hopefully give these remaining 4 the ol' takeaway treatment. That puts our offense in the position of just needing to (a) take care of the ball and (b) give us just a minimum level of production and the Ws could come in a flurry down the stretch here.

Deserved or not, it could also put the West back on the table, but we're obviously in a position now of needing a bit of luck for that to happen.

All is not lost. I'm not quite as pessimistic as some of you as far as this staff making adjustments, I'm still hopeful of finding some wrinkles.

I'm also entertaining the possibility - maybe foolishly - of there being perhaps a bit of a hangover going into that Purdue game and then having to go on the road to face what is possibly the 2nd best defense in the country making things look a bit worse than they really are.

If this season was CFP or bust for you, then yeah - probably time to have a trusted loved one hide your shoestrings and belts from you. But, if you came into the season hoping to be in the conversation for the West, I think there is some very meaningful football still ahead as things stand today.

I don't have any specific agenda, just curious about the numbers and thought I might as well share.

Going off Football Outsiders defensive efficiency ratings through week 7 (so not counting this weekend's games).

(Team) - (defensive efficiency ranking) - (Iowa point output) - (TO margin)

Indiana - 32nd - 34 pts - Iowa +1
Iowa St - 19th - 27 pts - Iowa +4
Kent St - 123rd - 30 pts - Even
Colo St - 29th - 24 pts - Even
Maryland - 102nd - 51 pts - Iowa +7
Penn St - 6th - 23 pts - Iowa +3
Purdue - 20th - 7 pts - Purdue +3
Wisconsin - 2nd - 7 pts - Wisconsin +3
Northwestern - 63rd
Minnesota - 39th
Illinois - 60th
Nebraska - 21st

Not sure what, if anything, can be gleaned from this - I was just curious to see what kind of picture it painted.

The optimist in me would like to see a 3 game win streak against 3 maybe not so great defenses and then hope Nebraska has quit on Frost

Our offense has obviously got major problems - most notably the OL which, unfortunately, probably just needs time to improve. Not a lot we can do other than hope things start to click.

Safe money would be on knock down drag outs the rest of the way out, but 10 wins is definitely still on the table, I think. I think our D is still very, very good, we can hopefully give these remaining 4 the ol' takeaway treatment. That puts our offense in the position of just needing to (a) take care of the ball and (b) give us just a minimum level of production and the Ws could come in a flurry down the stretch here.

Deserved or not, it could also put the West back on the table, but we're obviously in a position now of needing a bit of luck for that to happen.

All is not lost. I'm not quite as pessimistic as some of you as far as this staff making adjustments, I'm still hopeful of finding some wrinkles.

I'm also entertaining the possibility - maybe foolishly - of there being perhaps a bit of a hangover going into that Purdue game and then having to go on the road to face what is possibly the 2nd best defense in the country making things look a bit worse than they really are.

If this season was CFP or bust for you, then yeah - probably time to have a trusted loved one hide your shoestrings and belts from you. But, if you came into the season hoping to be in the conversation for the West, I think there is some very meaningful football still ahead as things stand today.

Alright Alright Alright

4 more games. 14 points in the last 2. Does Iowa crack 50 points the rest of the way?? After Purdue are figured out now so teams have all they need to see and it won't get easier.

Not sure about winning 3 games in a row or 10 wins. Baby steps! Score double digits?? Not be able to count the amount of first downs in a half on one hand??

I'm on record saying Iowa wins the next 4 and we see what happens after that.

This could very well happen. The next 4 opponents are not world beaters by any measure.

I think jNW's offense will challenged by our defense and their defense is not near as good as 6 of our 8 previous opponents. Hawk defense plays well, gives offense some shorter fields and they win 27-13.

Minny has a good offense but the last two years when they were on fire the hawk defense shut them down. I think Minny's defense could give our offense some problems.

Illinois is not very good and Rutgers just got well feasting on them. My gawd if the hawks cant beat them at home then this season did go topsy turvy.

Running QBs bother our defense so Nebby has that advantage and for some reason Martinez has great passing games against us. On the road with a pretty good nebby defense maybe shutting down our offense this is a game the hawks could lose.

Purdue Remaining Schedule
Michigan St
@Ohio St
@Northwestern
Indiana

There are 1-2 losses for sure there.

Wisconsin Remaining Schedule
@Rutgers
Northwestern
Nebraska
@minny

Minny is likely the best chance to knock them off.....but we still have to remember that the Wisconsin offense is not very good. Maybe poor little Rutgers gets up for them or Nebraska does not shoot themselves in the foot.

I think Iowa actually has a 50/50 chance that both Wisconsin and Purdue lose one more.

I think the biggest problem is on Iowa's end. Those are some encouraging numbers with our remaining opponents, but Iowa's offense is a horror show.

That new Halloween movie called Halloween Kills.........it should be called Iowa's Offense Kills (West title chances).

Purdue Remaining Schedule
Michigan St
@Ohio St
@Northwestern
Indiana

There are 1-2 losses for sure there.

Wisconsin Remaining Schedule
@Rutgers
Northwestern
Nebraska
@minny

Minny is likely the best chance to knock them off.....but we still have to remember that the Wisconsin offense is not very good. Maybe poor little Rutgers gets up for them or Nebraska does not shoot themselves in the foot.

I think Iowa actually has a 50/50 chance that both Wisconsin and Purdue lose one more.

I think the biggest problem is on Iowa's end. Those are some encouraging numbers with our remaining opponents, but Iowa's offense is a horror show.

That new Halloween movie called Halloween Kills.........it should be called Iowa's Offense Kills (West title chances).

We simply have to win out

We beat Minny and we win the conference.....If

Purdue loses to Ohio State and Michigan State which is almost for certain

Wisconsin has to lose one game and has as easy a path to the West Title as the Hawks
At Minnesota is the most likely loss

Last edited:
Who knows, we win four in a row and knock off Fleck, Fitz, and Frost the three F'ing F's and I'm happy for the year.

Thinking we win against NW but that might be it. Minni and Nebraska will likely beat us. Illinois is a coin flip.

Latest posts