Iowa's RPI is up to 77 now on StatSheet

We're gonna be top 35 in Pomeroy and top 40 in Sagarin. I don't understand the stinkin' RPI system. Hopefully the committee doesn't give it a ton of weight

We're gonna be top 35 in Pomeroy and top 40 in Sagarin. I don't understand the stinkin' RPI system. Hopefully the committee doesn't give it a ton of weight

RPI is heavily weighted on SOS. Iowa sealed their fate in that dept by scheduling awful non-conf opponents, their own doing.
But luckily they play in the best conf in the land, so it will continue to improve and get closer to the Sag/Pom ratings.

Current RPI for upcoming opponents.
Nebraska - 102
Purdue - 125
Indiana - 12
Illinois - 25
Nebraska - 102

I still say 10-8 and 6th place in the Big Ten with a 1st round win in the BTT will be enough...but I'm not oblivious to the RPI. If a win over Illinois moves us another 12 spots that's 65. The RPI is so dumb that my understanding is we will move up more just for playing Indiana. Right?

They jumped 12 spots on this site.

Live-RPI.com

Iowa went from 77 to 80 when the Northwestern-ILL game was entered. Shows a couple things :

1. It would have really helped if NU could have one at home for our RPI. We would have moved to the 74-75 range likely. I thought they would put in a better effort.

2. You can still move up and down pretty quickly. Some of that movement will be based on our past opponents. A win @Nebraska will help a bunch also. The system really favors road wins/penalizes home losses and Nebraska is still a respectable #108.

I really think the RPI system is a bad system. Way too much difference between playing #175 ranked team compared to playing #320. Hopefully we will play (manipulate) the system better next year. Simply can't schedule those teams that look like the will be really bad. Stick with just bad opponents. The RPI can really be manipulated by a scheduler/coach how understands this.

I still say 10-8 and 6th place in the Big Ten with a 1st round win in the BTT will be enough...but I'm not oblivious to the RPI. If a win over Illinois moves us another 12 spots that's 65. The RPI is so dumb that my understanding is we will move up more just for playing Indiana. Right?

Right. Actually we will also move up by playing Illinois, regardless of the outcome of the game. Winning the game simply helps the other aspects of our resume.

I really think the RPI system is a bad system. Way too much difference between playing #175 ranked team compared to playing #320. Hopefully we will play (manipulate) the system better next year. Simply can't schedule those teams that look like the will be really bad. Stick with just bad opponents. The RPI can really be manipulated by a scheduler/coach how understands this.

This is why RPI is going to be a problem more than an assistance in the future. Enough people have figured out what you have to do to manipulate the system, so in the future the 300+ RPI teams won't have enough games on their schedules, because everyone will refuse to play them for RPI reasons. Or the top-100 will play only top-100 teams and 300+ will only play 300+ teams, and there will be no mobility from game to game. The top 68 in the first RPI rankings of the season will be the tournament field.

This is why RPI is going to be a problem more than an assistance in the future. Enough people have figured out what you have to do to manipulate the system, so in the future the 300+ RPI teams won't have enough games on their schedules, because everyone will refuse to play them for RPI reasons. Or the top-100 will play only top-100 teams and 300+ will only play 300+ teams, and there will be no mobility from game to game. The top 68 in the first RPI rankings of the season will be the tournament field.

You would be right in principle, but not in this detail. The field would almost certainly come from the initial top-100, though. There would be mobility in each tier, because obviously there will be upsets.

I'm actually not sure it's feasible for even all the power 6 teams to play only top-100 teams. There's got to be some cupcakes at some point.

Iowa went from 77 to 80 when the Northwestern-ILL game was entered. Shows a couple things :

1. It would have really helped if NU could have one at home for our RPI. We would have moved to the 74-75 range likely. I thought they would put in a better effort.

2. You can still move up and down pretty quickly. Some of that movement will be based on our past opponents. A win @Nebraska will help a bunch also. The system really favors road wins/penalizes home losses and Nebraska is still a respectable #108.

Yes and Iowa State hovering in the 50s is moving Iowa 2 or 3 spots 1 way or the other. When they fall outside the top 50 Iowa moves down and when they move into the top 50 Iowa moves up. It would also really help Iowa if UNI kept winning and got into the top 50 (currently 70th). Since Iowa has beaten Northwestern twice it would be nice if they turned it around also, but they look like they are limping in.

Latest posts