Iowa's non-con FB sched - a history lesson

Follow the moolah broseph.

Fans love it, but it gives coaches severe indigestion and if you think KF wants a real possibility of starting years off 2-2... well he doesn't.

It's the same reason why coaches lobby for 1-AA wins to count towards bowl eligibility and why 6-6 gets you in... because their contracts have bonuses for making bowl games.

It's all a ******* sham.

I could be wrong, but weren't we suppose to play Missouri this year, but they backed out?

Back in the 60s and 70s there were not many bowl games, to earn a bowl bid back then you basically had to win your conference anyway. So teams were more willing to play a tougher non conference schedule. You will notice in the 80s when all these bowl games started up everyone, including Iowa, started scheduling softer non conferences to help get those bids.

I could be wrong, but weren't we suppose to play Missouri this year, but they backed out?

There was a 4 year series scheduled for 2005 - 2008 that Mizzou backed out of the first two years and we backed out of the last two. I am not aware that they were slated for a potential deal after that fallout.

There was a 4 year series scheduled for 2005 - 2008 that Mizzou backed out of the first two years and we backed out of the last two. I am not aware that they were slated for a potential deal after that fallout.

I can't believe it was that long ago. I'm getting old. All the years are starting to run together. Thanks for the update.

Our OoC schedule typically leaves quite a bit to be desired; this year is worse. However, given the changes in staff and inexperience/depth at numerous positions it couldn't come at a better time.

It's telling when a beat writer at OK is paying attention to us despite the fact we're not in their conference or on their schedule. I'm guessing a beat writer for OSU or Michigan isn't giving any thoughts to ISU's OoC schedule.

Big 10 is going to eventually have to schedule tougher non-conf. games to reamin even remotely relevant.

It probably needs to start playing conference games all 12 weeks also.

All big schools scheduled those kinds of non conf games in the 60s and 70s. All programs. It wasn't an Iowa thing at all.

Most if not all 'BCS' schools load up on patsies in the non-conf. One reason Wisky hasn't lost a non-conf regular season game in a decade. Helps them get basically 10 wins every year. Iowa has actually played more 'BCS' schools than most other BCS teams. With fierce-rival ISU built-in and throw in maybe an Arizona, Pitt, ASU, Syracuse, etc. Most yrs we play 2 BCS schools, while most other teams play 1. Saw a stat 5 or 6 yrs ago that showed percentage of OOC games played vs BCS schools. Iowa was #7 in highest percentage at over 50%. I recall MN as having the lowest at like 7%. I believe it was a 10-yr span that was looked at.

That being said, the last year or two have been softer, more on par with other BIG and BCS schools in regards to scheduling.

I really think Iowa's scheduling hasn't been that bad for non conference. Most years its been Iowa St and a BCS team to offset whether Iowa State is a home or away game.
Hayden did lighten the schedule but he still played some good teams, Miami Fla, Colorado during their heyday, Penn State a few times before they joined the Big 10. Iowa played both Rose Bowl teams in 1994 with Penn St and Oregon.
Like the previously mentioned 1992 team that went 5-7. That team had one of the most killer non-con's I have seen for a BCS school. It was also a better team then 1993 (the worst Iowa bowl team ever) and 1994's 5-5-1.
Alabama and LSU have had some pretty respectable schedules the last few years but outside of that you never really see SEC Schools come north or west. The Big 12's schedule has been terrible out of conference. Texas in 2009 was pretty pathetic.
I will take the formula of Iowa State, BCS school, 2 Directional state schools every year. It will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like when North Texas comes to town and if McCarney is still the head coach. I would like to see Iowa the Arizona schools but would not be surprised if the next game in Arizona is played at the Cards dome, during the day to maximize $$ and exposure

Couldn't disagree with this post more. You want to schedule 3 cupcakes and Iowa State to minimize injuries, maximize wins and get in bowl position.

Playing top tier schools is just stupid. Iowa's schedule gets a lot tougher when they start playing a Pac 12 school every year. Be careful what you wish for

This is true, and it's the sort of thing that makes me hate the bowl system. I honestly won't miss it when and if it all goes away. Take the great game in January and give it to me in September instead-- what's the difference?

Here's what I have to say to the Oklahoma sports writer:

OSU played or will play 8 BCS schools in the non conf from 2002-2012 (UCLA, Georgia,WSU, Arizona all home/home)

OU played or will play 16 BCS schools in the same time frame (too many to list as most weren't home/homes)

Iowa played or will play 19 BCS schools over that time.

So the OP, and that Oklahoma writer, can take that article and shove it straight up their *****.

Latest posts