Iowa's Next Recruit

There seems to be some talk that people think it will be a guard. Is this mindset based on anything, or is that just a guess? I'm just curious who people think the next recruit to sign will be. I would think Olaseni is still well in the mix IF he doesn't receive an Oklahoma offer. And obviously Olaseni is not a guard so where is the guard talk coming from?

Percy Gibson would be huge get. He's the "transfer" from Dayton. I thought there was no chance but have now heard there is mutual interest in both he and Iowa. Would be an athletic big. Also think we are recruiting one of the guards from Providence that got out of their LOI. Either one of these guys would be a great get.

Perhaps when Fran smiled when asked about pulling another Cartwright. He might have someone wrapped up or close to it. With Fran it is hard to say. He is a cool customer. It does seem like he is only going to get one more recruit this year. I think he believes the incoming recruits, with help from Devyn, Matt and Eric will be able to bring the ball upcourt. He also might be relying on Brommer and Archie improving immensely as Cole did last year, hopefully Olaseni is still interested. We shall see. The ball in in Fran's court. All that said, we need a healthy Cartwright the whole season, especially if there is no incoming guard.

Percy Gibson would be huge get. He's the "transfer" from Dayton. I thought there was no chance but have now heard there is mutual interest in both he and Iowa. Would be an athletic big. Also think we are recruiting one of the guards from Providence that got out of their LOI. Either one of these guys would be a great get.

I hope the talk about Gibson is true, Ryno. That would be HUGE as you say. We have a very nice group coming in now, might attract those who are hanging on, drifting in the wind, wondering what to do.

Gibson would certainly shake things up on the bench, Carr. He and Melsohn could make things difficult for the opponents, especially with the firepower on the outside.

Gibson would not be a "transfer" he asked out of his LOI and was given that opportunity. Gibson is like any other unsigned 2011 player at this time, but he is a player that was once considered one ot the Top 150 players on Rivals last Spring.

The good news is that at that time, he had Iowa listed as one of his top 5 schools, but then there was the coaching change and he eliminated Iowa immediately. The guy that had his interest was LaVall Jordan, more good news, Michigan has no more available scholarships.

I think much of the ISU talk, is just talk, there are two better options for Gibson for a few reasons. Iowa and Michigan State, each play in the Big Ten and all conference games are on TV. Michigan State has a few open scholarships with the defections and Brandon Kearney was Gibson's HS teammate and that is where Kearney landed. Iowa is appealing for the reasons that there was interest before, so he probably knows a little bit about Iowa for that. Also, there is a lot of opportunity for Gibson to play immediately at Iowa and really be a contributor, I think the main reason he ended up at Dayton to begin with.

Gibson compares a lot to Jordan Morgan at Michigan, but if he were to land at Iowa he wouldn't get the chance to redshirt as Morgan did, unless he gets hurt. Morgan hurt his knee in September for Michigan and was redshirted because the staff didn't feel he would be ready conditioning wise.

Percy Gibson is a quality player that would ease the need to run out and sign more than two bigs for the 2012 class and allow the staff to possibly save one of those open scholarships for the 2013 class.

Iowa is going to have a ton of experience back for a few years running looking at the overall youth of their roster.

If Iowa can get Gibson, it would be nice to see the 2012 class go like this: Jelon Hornbeak, Wesley Staten, Kyle Meyer and Adam Woodbury. Staten is a reach, the alternative would be Gesell, Hornbeak can play both guard spots.

There would be two scholarships open for the 2013 class and Iowa can focus on Peter Jok and Akoy Agau, if Iowa can get either or both of these kids then Fran and Staff has arrived.

Gibson would not be a "transfer" he asked out of his LOI and was given that opportunity. Gibson is like any other unsigned 2011 player at this time, but he is a player that was once considered one ot the Top 150 players on Rivals last Spring.

The good news is that at that time, he had Iowa listed as one of his top 5 schools, but then there was the coaching change and he eliminated Iowa immediately. The guy that had his interest was LaVall Jordan, more good news, Michigan has no more available scholarships.

I think much of the ISU talk, is just talk, there are two better options for Gibson for a few reasons. Iowa and Michigan State, each play in the Big Ten and all conference games are on TV. Michigan State has a few open scholarships with the defections and Brandon Kearney was Gibson's HS teammate and that is where Kearney landed. Iowa is appealing for the reasons that there was interest before, so he probably knows a little bit about Iowa for that. Also, there is a lot of opportunity for Gibson to play immediately at Iowa and really be a contributor, I think the main reason he ended up at Dayton to begin with.

Gibson compares a lot to Jordan Morgan at Michigan, but if he were to land at Iowa he wouldn't get the chance to redshirt as Morgan did, unless he gets hurt. Morgan hurt his knee in September for Michigan and was redshirted because the staff didn't feel he would be ready conditioning wise.

Percy Gibson is a quality player that would ease the need to run out and sign more than two bigs for the 2012 class and allow the staff to possibly save one of those open scholarships for the 2013 class.

Iowa is going to have a ton of experience back for a few years running looking at the overall youth of their roster.

If Iowa can get Gibson, it would be nice to see the 2012 class go like this: Jelon Hornbeak, Wesley Staten, Kyle Meyer and Adam Woodbury. Staten is a reach, the alternative would be Gesell, Hornbeak can play both guard spots.

There would be two scholarships open for the 2013 class and Iowa can focus on Peter Jok and Akoy Agau, if Iowa can get either or both of these kids then Fran and Staff has arrived.

Great post sportstalent!! I think I heard there was mutual interest from Gibson and Iowa so we shall see.

Somethings goin on. I agreed with both HawkeyeRyno and Caar's post on the same thread. That's just not normal. :)

Iowa has 2 commits the other is a guard. The third scholly which fran said maybe, maybe not could be filled buy Gibson or one of the Kansas kids.

whoa....Please share details of the 2nd commit,

That is the second or third post I believe I've seen from HawkPhreek alluding to a second guard commit. He knows something, thinks he knows but is mistaken, or is messing around. I'm dying with anticipation.

I'd still love a true PG and Gibson in this class. There knocking on the NIT door without them, could be knocking on the NCAA tourney with them!

I agree with 99% of what you said. The only changes I'd make are that I'd rather have Gesell and consider Staten the fallback. Other than that, great post.

I agree with 99% of what you said. The only changes I'd make are that I'd rather have Gesell and consider Staten the fallback. Other than that, great post.

The reason for Staten over Gesell, today is he is more of a PG than Gesell, not that my mind could change. Other guys that would be of very high interest: PG Oliver Hanlan and SF DeJuan Marerro, if Iowa could get either on of these guys, it would be huge as well.

I hope the talk about Gibson is true, Ryno. That would be HUGE as you say. We have a very nice group coming in now, might attract those who are hanging on, drifting in the wind, wondering what to do.

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year? Iowa needs people who can play next year.

Never mind, I just read that he is not a transfer. He is now an avail ble unsigned player.

Last edited:
Wouldn't he have to sit out a year? Iowa needs people who can play next year.

No, he would be able to play right away. He just backed out of his LOI, he never played or even started classes at Dayton. He would be a HUGE get for Iowa. In more ways than one.

Latest posts