Iowa's NCAA & B1G KEy Stat Rankings

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
3rd down conversion offense: 24th (over 47%)
1st Downs Defense: 20th
1st Downs Offense: 40th
Kickoff Returns D & O: 106th
Sacks Allowed: 12th
Scoring Defense: 13th
Total Defense: 11th (4th in B1G) (MSU, OSU and WIS ahead of Iowa...which probably had something to do with Iowa's offense struggling most of the last month)
Rushing Defense: 26th
Rushing offense: 43rd

And the master key stat in determining Iowa's success . . . scoring offense? _________

I am wondering if Canzeri had more carries earlier in the season that we would have even more success on the ground (and play action) and an additional win (or 2) through the first 9 games. I am not saying that Weisman should not also be in the mix. Our offense could be further ahead with Canzeri getting more carries. It just seems Jordan could be a key piece to this offense, a much needed play maker. It would not take a lot of extra scoring to move up from 79th on scoring offense.

I like the improved efficiency on 3rd down conversions which was so bad last year.

If the receiving corp can become real clutch at running routes and catching passes then the 3rd down conversions could be even better.

Defense looking good overall, I think the coaches are finding what is working on offense especially in the running game.

If Stanford can be sexy with the power game the hawks can also.

Hawks are also #4 in penalties with 3.8 per game and only 29 yards. Big improvement over last year when we shot ourselves in the foot on several key drives, probably cost us a couple games.

last game helped the offensive rankings stats a bit.... but now we need to continue that trend and not fall back into the dark ages.

79th in scoring offense.
Thank you.

So where is it breaking down?

All those hefty offensive stats in sacks, 3rd conversions, 1st downs are meaningless when scoring offense is 79th.

It's got to be red zone TD%???

And the master key stat in determining Iowa's success . . . scoring offense? _________

Would be interesting to see a "rankings" stat for 1st half and 2nd half scoring.

No stretch we'd probably be in the bottom 10% of 2nd half points scored.

Also: rank of teams leading games at half time (upper 10%?)
Also: rank of teams losing games after leading at halftime (again, upper 10%)

Thanks for the link.

#36 in red zone invasion (40 times)

#73 in red zone TDs (20 times)

#105 in red zone/TD conversion (50%)

That's horrible.

Clearly, the offense is the "problem." Hope they improve the last two games as Iowa will need it to win.

The offense and defense are basically what they always are under Kirk. 13th annually in scoring defense. 79th in scoring offense. Its like every Kirk year.

I am wondering if Canzeri had more carries earlier in the season that we would have even more success on the ground (and play action) and an additional win (or 2) through the first 9 games. I am not saying that Weisman should not also be in the mix. Our offense could be further ahead with Canzeri getting more carries. It just seems Jordan could be a key piece to this offense, a much needed play maker. It would not take a lot of extra scoring to move up from 79th on scoring offense.

Canzeri did a lot of damage against one of, if not the very worst, BCS conference team. Now I believe there should have been a few plays each game throughout the season designed to get the ball in his hands in space but the coaches decided not to.

But to say that Canzeri could been the difference in one or 2 games is pretty bold. If he can handle Michigan and Nebraska I'll feel differently. Until then I chalk it up to fresh legs that took advantage of a very, very bad defense.

The offense and defense are basically what they always are under Kirk. 13th annually in scoring defense. 79th in scoring offense. Its like every Kirk year.

I'd actually disagree with this statement. Typically, in "bad" offensive years under Ferentz, we can't move the ball for sh!t. Our 3rd down conversion rate is awful and our red zone penetration is awful. This year is different than most any other year. We are converting 3rd downs with pretty good regularity and we are getting to the red zone with pretty good regularity. The issue is finishing off drives. This is a new issue under Ferentz as, typically, his teams are pretty good at finishing off drives....especially at home. That certainly hasn't been the case this year.

I'd actually disagree with this statement. Typically, in "bad" offensive years under Ferentz, we can't move the ball for sh!t. Our 3rd down conversion rate is awful and our red zone penetration is awful. This year is different than most any other year. We are converting 3rd downs with pretty good regularity and we are getting to the red zone with pretty good regularity. The issue is finishing off drives. This is a new issue under Ferentz as, typically, his teams are pretty good at finishing off drives....especially at home. That certainly hasn't been the case this year.

What bad years are you talking about? 2012 is an outlier, but every other year is pretty similar.

What bad years are you talking about? 2012 is an outlier, but every other year is pretty similar.

Other than the 1st 2 years, I'd consider 2006, 2007, 2009, the 2nd half of 2010 and, of course, 2012 to be bad/below average offensive years. And in just about all of those years, it was a ton of 3 and outs, lots of sacks, etc, etc. I think the reason this year seems so much better than those years, even if the PPG don't bear that out, is that we are moving the ball with a decent amount of regularity. It's just so dang frustrating when we get down inside the red zone that we can't punch it in. And it doesn't seem like it's any one thing. Sometimes it's stupid penalties. Sometimes its playcalling. Sometimes its just not having a go to playmaker. But I'd much rather have that problem than the problems it seems like we used to have which was simply just sustaining drives.

Just my $.02.

Latest posts