Iowa's delay of game on their own two

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I really liked that call...that was trying to draw them offsides all the way, and if they didn't, they were fine taking the penalty..went from 2nd and 9 to second and 10...it was a worthwhile risk, because the penalty was only a yard but the upside was a free five

It nearly worked, too: a couple of those PSU players were itching to jump, but barely managed to hold themselves back.

I noticed that the clock ran after that penalty. Was it supposed to? And if it was why not just keep taking penalties until the quarter ends (aka keep taking penalties until the quarter ends. Since you're backed up it really doesn't hurt you.)

My guess was that the clock isn't supposed to restart after the penalty and their was a mistake because then a team could just run down the clock like I suggested.

I was thinking it was a great call...a lot of fans in my area were not understanding the logic. Tried to explain it to the guy behind me but would have had an easier time explaining it to my dog.

I don't know if I have ever seen that before. Have thought it made sense for both the offense and defense should take advantage of the value buy you get in those situations.

I'm fine with taking the penalty but why do you QB sneak on first down just to give the yard back on 2nd? I've never been a fan of the QB sneak on first down when backed up on the goal line.

Poor idea. When you are that deep NEVER give up an inch. Iowa should have been planning before they even started the series that EVERY play their first attempt was to draw them for a free 5. The premise of letting them help is is great but that can be done without giving away anything.

I really liked that call...that was trying to draw them offsides all the way, and if they didn't, they were fine taking the penalty..went from 2nd and 9 to second and 10...it was a worthwhile risk, because the penalty was only a yard but the upside was a free five

Yeah. People around me were griping but I was like "really? It's an 18 inch penalty, people!"

I also like the deep pass that was intercepted inside the 20. Really, who cares. It's just like a nice punt. Lots of upside, little downside.

I'm fine with taking the penalty but why do you QB sneak on first down just to give the yard back on 2nd? I've never been a fan of the QB sneak on first down when backed up on the goal line.

The qb sneak gained more than a yard. If you remember, they stopped psu at the one inch line. Then moved it to the 2.

It was an awesome call. I wonder whose idea it was. Also, it reminded me of Tate Forcier calling a TO last year when Michigan was in a similar position and Rich Rod went nuts on the sideline. Take the penalty in that case. :)

About the clock restarting after the penalty:

The refs signal when the clock should restart after each play, and keep the time on the field on their own as well as with the stadium timer.

This link (College Football: running clock after a penalty., game clock, ball carrier) explains it pretty well. Basically, unfair clock management tactics can result in weird play clock scenarios in which, even after a player is downed inbounds on a running play, the clock will stop and only start at the snap of the ball.

The same rule should have also applied during the Tennessee game yesterday, which their coach tried to point out, but after the previous play had started, and was not blown dead, the rule could no longer be enforced (since it is a judgement call), thus the penalty of extra men on the field was called and Tennessee ends up losing.

Speaking of penalties, why did PSU not decline the penalty on delay of game when Iowa wanted backed up five yards before they punted?

Latest posts