Iowa's Best Position Group is, ummm, WR?

WinOneThisCentury

It was one game against a MAC opponent, but if you ask me to rate the position groups, I'd say the WR group rated the highest. ISM had a drop, but for the most part, these guys ran great routes, and the YAC had to be the highest in a long while. Ragaini has burst, Martin has burst, ISM is a playmaker, and Smith is a beast who can high point the ball.

A couple of things stood out to me in this game...Ragaini 45 yard catch and run over the middle, in particular the move to set up the seam route and the burst after the move...that's new to Iowa Football...and he was looking for the end zone. The other was the crossing route to Martin that got blown up a bit because Martin got caught up in the OL wash. The move to break the ankles of the defender at the 12 yard line was special...and he got around the corner. A better block by our WR out there, and after the move he may have been able to score. Martin also made a great move to beat his defender on the fade route in the end zone...he was clear by 3 yards when the ball was in the air. We also ran Ragaini and ISM in two instances for positive yards.

You obviously have to take the opponent into consideration, but it's pretty clear to me that this group has taken a big step in the right direction...and they all are back next year...which is pretty exciting.

We have officially entered bizarro world. Were talking real wrath of god type stuff. "Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes… The dead rising from the grave.Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria."

Last edited:
Kind of funny that WR and RB were two of our biggest concerns and they both played very well. Meanwhile Dline and DBs we were confident in and they underperformed.

But again it was just one game.

I was less surprised by eppy's lack of stats then I was chaunceys. Chauncey needs to be more disruptive with eppy getting double teamed and triple teamed every down.

Kind of funny that WR and RB were two of our biggest concerns and they both played very well. Meanwhile Dline and DBs we were confident in and they underperformed.

But again it was just one game.

Just curious, but why do you say the DL underperformed? Miami run for 59 yards and just over 2 YPC. If it is because they didn't sack Gabbert, I'd say that this was because they changed their offense to make sure we didn't get home on sacks. Quick drops, double teaming Eppy, etc.

Just curious, but why do you say the DL underperformed? Miami run for 59 yards and just over 2 YPC. If it is because they didn't sack Gabbert, I'd say that this was because they changed their offense to make sure we didn't get home on sacks. Quick drops, double teaming Eppy, etc.
Fair point. In order to rush the passer the first thing you have to do is stop the run so that’s a good first sign.

Again it’s probably just based on expectations. Last year we had both run stopping and pass rushing. If you listen to AJE after the game he seemed to think the Dline and himself didn’t play their best.

Not a lot of "Wow" plays...but very solid.

Fair point. In order to rush the passer the first thing you have to do is stop the run so that’s a good first sign.

Again it’s probably just based on expectations. Last year we had both run stopping and pass rushing. If you listen to AJE after the game he seemed to think the Dline and himself didn’t play their best.

Not a lot of "Wow" plays...but very solid.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I didn't think the DL dominated or anything. I just felt that they played well against the rush, and then Miami game planned for Iowa's pass rush. If we get teams out of what they like to do and dictate to them what they have to do (quick passed, and added blockers for rushers) this will be a positive for Iowa this year.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I didn't think the DL dominated or anything. I just felt that they played well against the rush, and then Miami game planned for Iowa's pass rush. If we get teams out of what they like to do and dictate to them what they have to do (quick passed, and added blockers for rushers) this will be a positive for Iowa this year.
A look that Iowa used early to get pressure but kind of stuck in their pocket for a rainy day was where they brought Nixon in and he and Eppy ran a stunt. Nixon screamed the qb on a pressure.

I bet, as we face better passing teams, we see more of that AJE/Nixon/CG/Amani front.

The receivers had trouble getting open in the first half. They got no separation, especially on routes over 5 yards. The second half was better, but the first half was ugly. That was a bad team we played, so we will see what happens against a decent defense. My concern is teams don't have to worry about 2 tight ends this year, and last year our receivers still struggled to get open with Hock and Fant. I think Martin will help out, but Stanley has got to be able to throw over 10 yards consistently or we will be playing in a cracker jack box all year with the entire defense at the line of scrimmage.

The receivers had trouble getting open in the first half. They got no separation, especially on routes over 5 yards. The second half was better, but the first half was ugly. That was a bad team we played, so we will see what happens against a decent defense. My concern is teams don't have to worry about 2 tight ends this year, and last year our receivers still struggled to get open with Hock and Fant. I think Martin will help out, but Stanley has got to be able to throw over 10 yards consistently or we will be playing in a cracker jack box all year with the entire defense at the line of scrimmage.

Jesus, do you act this dumb on purpose? ISM had separation several times but literally got grabbed by Miami DBs.

Not sure if we have the "go to" guy this year like a Hockenson, one might arise though. But what we do appear to have at the WR position is a little bit of depth with no huge drop off to where the opponent can't focus on one guy. 5 different players scored touchdowns and that is a good thing. I liked one set I remember with Goodson and IKM out there at the same time. Mix that in with Sargent and Goodson etc and I like the dual threat in the backfield and both can catch a pass.