Iowa's best kicker transferred...

TheIowaHawkGuy

Iowa transfer kicker Alden Haffar hit a 51-yard field goal and four PAT attempts for Minnesota St in a 31-0 win over St Cloud St. UGH!!!

I wish our flaming dumpster of a kicking game would make Kirk say eff it and go for TDs all the time but we could be 0 for 40 and he would still kick it on 4and1 from the 10.

I wish our flaming dumpster of a kicking game would make Kirk say eff it and go for TDs all the time but we could be 0 for 40 and he would still kick it on 4and1 from the 10.

This is all too true and very scary.
The thing of this all is that now, Kirk must plan to go for it on all 4th downs from the opponents 30 YL to the ~10YL. I am not sure of his ability to make this happen.

The good news is, if he can adjust and play for the first down when in + territory then we avoid the sucker's bet that are field goals in college football.

I can't remember an Iowa kicker ever missing that bad on so many kicks. A near miss I wouldn't be concerned but omg those were wide wide wide left.

Iowa transfer kicker Alden Haffar hit a 51-yard field goal and four PAT attempts for Minnesota St in a 31-0 win over St Cloud St. UGH!!!

For the record he didn't transfer, KF and Coach White didn't invite him back to be a walk-on and basically left him with no options other then a transfer in mid July! I guess karma is a b****h after all!!!

Last edited:
I can't remember an Iowa kicker ever missing that bad on so many kicks. A near miss I wouldn't be concerned but omg those were wide wide wide left.

It wasn't just that they were wide.. A couple of them looked wobbly and took a strange path as if there were 50mph swirling winds.

we go through this almost every time breaking in a new kicker. It sucks

Actually since 2000 Kicker has been a solid position for Hawks.

Kaeding, Schlicher, Murry/Mossbrucker, then Meyer. Good to great kickers listed have covered a span of 13 years.

We attempt too many field goals as it is. Hopefully this forces KF to use all 4 downs more often when approaching scoring zone. TD win games; not FGs, especially when attempting with bad college kickers who are currently a 50/50 proposition at best to win games.

Once we are within the 30, FGs should relegated to end of half situations, 4th and plus 6, and maybe some 4th and 4's where the ball is perfectly centered and within 35 yards to build confidence.

We attempt too many field goals as it is. Hopefully this forces KF to use all 4 downs more often when approaching scoring zone. TD win games; not FGs, especially when attempting with bad college kickers who are currently a 50/50 proposition at best to win games.

Once we are within the 30, FGs should relegated to end of half situations, 4th and plus 6, and maybe some 4th and 4's where the ball is perfectly centered and within 35 yards to build confidence.

You'd be confident "within 35 yards"? 35 FEET, maybe. 35 yards? No confidence. None.

Let me get this straight: The kid makes one long field goal and we have now determined him as the savior of the Iowa kicking game, if he had only stayed around. OK. Now, I get it. thanks.

Let me get this straight: The kid makes one long field goal and we have now determined him as the savior of the Iowa kicking game, if he had only stayed around. OK. Now, I get it. thanks.

Don't forget he had a DUI shortly before leaving.

Kaeding, Schlicher, Murry/Mossbrucker, then Meyer. Good to great kickers listed have covered a span of 13 years.

This. We have had a crazy good run at kicker for a program of our stature. Really going back to the '80s we've always had reliable placekicking, other than Zach "Rudy" Bromert in '97. Although the beginning of '08 when Mossbrucker was a freshman KF did notably change his usual schtick and pass up 2 very makeable FGs at MSU in order to go for it twice on 4th-and-short in the 2nd half. It probably cost us that game (16-13).

What do these guys do at practice all day? I'm hoping they are actually kicking field goals in practice, because after Saturday, I'm not sure they are doing that. I'm going to mark this down for the next thread bashing KF.

Kirk Ferentz Coaching Deficiency #276 - Kirk Ferentz doesn't have his field goal kickers kick field goals in practice...because the stress generated when they kick in games makes him feel alive.

KirFer said that both kickers had terrific fall camps. I don't know what happened Saturday; possibly the yips for kickers. But it doesn't sound like this was anticipated after fall camp. After spring practice? Probably, as the kicking was reportedly not good.

As for Murray/Mossbrucker... IIRC, there wasn't much confidence in the kicking in '08.

KirFer said that both kickers had terrific fall camps. I don't know what happened Saturday; possibly the yips for kickers. But it doesn't sound like this was anticipated after fall camp. After spring practice? Probably, as the kicking was reportedly not good.

As for Murray/Mossbrucker... IIRC, there wasn't much confidence in the kicking in '08.
I think you remember correctly. I certainly remember the ******** about them.

Don't forget he had a DUI shortly before leaving.

If you're going to level charge on here get you facts straight! He was charged with MIP, disorderly House interference with official acts and took heat for other starters that had more to lose if you know what I mean. Those minor changes pale in comparison to a DUI charge. This happened early in his year with the team he's sat out for 6 games. If you recall KF own son was charged with similar offences. IMO this is regular college behavior and most of us on this sight have been guilty of similar.

thanks for laying these names out " Murry/Mossbrucker, then Meyer. " I never paid much attention... for a while I thought we had 1 kicker who's name started with an M for 6 years.

Latest posts