Iowa's all-time best "Dunkers"

Doug Thomas would be at the top of my list. He was just as electricfying when he was playing for the Energy. Doug can jump and he always threw it down with authority.

I was friends and lived with a bunch of the players back in the early/mid 90s and during the off-season I would go up to the fieldhouse and play with some of them once in a while. One of the best dunks I've ever seen happend one time when I was playing up there. This is a true story, I kid you not. I was playing with Kingsbury, Bartels and Skillett and a gray teamer and we were up against a team who was talking trash the whole game for some reason. Anyway, one of the guys got on a fast break 2 on 1 (Skillett being the 1) and scores on Skillett and he is talking trash like no other to Skillett. Well, Skillett gets ****** and says "gimme the f'ing ball" - he takes the ball drives down the middle of the lane, takes off from about 2 feet inside the lane and dunks over 2 of their guys! Needless to say, the other team got real quiet and Winters and Millard were on the sideline just going crazy. One of the best dunks I've seen in person.

But, to answer the question from the OP - Sir Jamelot, Doug Thomas and Winters were three of the best IMO.

the most amazing thing about Doug Thomas' video was that Carver was rockin' and the fans were going bananas! Wasn't that long ago! Fran will have Carver jacked up again soon. Just start winning with an exciting brand of ball and the fans will come back in a hurry.

Agree on Sir Jamalot but don't forget the Hawk....Connie Hawkins. He was a very high flyer also.

No doubt. He dates me a bit, however he was arguably the best. He had a dunk where he would cradle the ball in his elbow and get high enough to put his elbow plus the ball above the rim and punch it down with his other hand. You couldn't touch the rim back then I believe. Incredible.

Connie Hawkins:
Don't want to sound too old but my Dad used to tell me stories about people coming earlier to watch the warmups before the freshman BBall games just to see Hawkins. This was before dunking was allowed in games. He played way above rim and was one of the first to do the pick quarters up off the top off the backboard trick. I think this would have been in the earlier 60's. Not sure where he would rank.

Ricky Davis is w/o a doubt the best dunker to come out of Iowa...period! The fact that he was able to throw down like this on guys at the "next level" is all the evidence I need. Until someone provides footage of anyone else on the list with over 100 highlight reel dunks over NBA opponents, Ricky has my vote.

Ricky could dunk. But the "jerk" factor overrides any consideration he might get in my opinion.

I would definitely include James Winters in the conversation for best Iowa dunkers.

On a lighter note, my All Anti-Air Hawk Roster would include:
Brody Boyd
Troy Skinner
Kent McCausland
Devan Bawinkel
Captained by Lil' Lick

Kyle Galloway
Jack Brownlee have to be subs on that team.
and youre going to need
Sean Sonderleiter as your big man.

Wright is the run away (or fly away) winner. He has crazy hops and huge hands. His cartwheel dunk was wild.

My roommate played against Gerry in a pickup game at the fieldhouse the semester he sat out (he transferred from USC I think) and coming down on a 2-1 fast break Wright jumped right over the top of him and dunked it. My roomie just walked off the court shaking his head.

We must have been students around the same time (1983-'87), because my intramural team (Rienow 2nd floor) played against a team from Slater on which Gerry was playing. It was not pretty, he totally dominated (no surprise). Ah, the good ol' days!:)

I would definitely include James Winters in the conversation for best Iowa dunkers.

On a lighter note, my All Anti-Air Hawk Roster would include:
Brody Boyd
Troy Skinner
Kent McCausland
Devan Bawinkel
Captained by Lil' Lick

Don't we need a token black guy on that team? I would throw Worley in there.

Waymond King deserves a mention. A 6 foot walk on guard under Lute who could sky and had one of the best names in Hawkeye history.

Waymond King deserves a mention. 6 foot walk on under Lute who couldn't shoot but could jump higher than I can get on a ladder. Probably would have started for us this past year.

Didn't get to see much of it in Carver, but Jason Price could fly too. I remember a Prime Time game where he threw down and landed on Brad Lohaus' shoulders.

The best hawkeye dunk I witnessed in person was Ricky doing a 180 in the air off a rebound in the middle of (or rather above) a crowded lane.

I was friends and lived with a bunch of the players back in the early/mid 90s and during the off-season I would go up to the fieldhouse and play with some of them once in a while. One of the best dunks I've ever seen happend one time when I was playing up there. This is a true story, I kid you not. I was playing with Kingsbury, Bartels and Skillett and a gray teamer and we were up against a team who was talking trash the whole game for some reason. Anyway, one of the guys got on a fast break 2 on 1 (Skillett being the 1) and scores on Skillett and he is talking trash like no other to Skillett. Well, Skillett gets ****** and says "gimme the f'ing ball" - he takes the ball drives down the middle of the lane, takes off from about 2 feet inside the lane and dunks over 2 of their guys! Needless to say, the other team got real quiet and Winters and Millard were on the sideline just going crazy. One of the best dunks I've seen in person.

I was at Iowa about this time, too, as I remember playing a pick up game against Bartels. I'm no superstar baller, but I did get going on a one on one fast break against him. I came to just under the hoop and gave him a big time pump fake...haha....I remember him flying through the air with the look on his face that all he wanted to do was feed me the ball. That was so much fun, pick up games with some of the players (I remember Val Barnes, Jepsen, Marble there quite a bit).

Kyle Galloway
Jack Brownlee have to be subs on that team.
and youre going to need
Sean Sonderleiter as your big man.

No team of this ability is complete without Wade "I will fool you with my fake pass" Lookingbill.

Nobody since Gerry Wright belongs in the conversation. Anyone who saw the cartwheel dunk is snickering at the nominations of Doug Thomas or Ricky Davis.

Reading about Connie Hawkins makes me think he could touch Wright.

Nobody since Gerry Wright belongs in the conversation. Anyone who saw the cartwheel dunk is snickering at the nominations of Doug Thomas or Ricky Davis.

Reading about Connie Hawkins makes me think he could touch Wright.
I'll always remember the cartwheel dunk, but Doug Thomas and Ricky Davis absolutely belong in the conversation.

There was a gal on the women's team in the 1990s from Jamaica who dunked once in a game. She was awesome. For a girl. Can't remember her name.

Latest posts