Iowa's all-time best "Dunkers"

Anybody that is old enough to remember Gerry Wright (Sir Jamalot) knows that this is no contest. I remember a picture the Gazette had where he was slamming the ball and the upper half of his body was above the rim before he came down and dunked the ball.

Reggie Evans. He was a pretty good dunker too.
Jess Settles in his earlier years was good at energizing the crowd as well.

Anybody that is old enough to remember Gerry Wright (Sir Jamalot) knows that this is no contest. I remember a picture the Gazette had where he was slamming the ball and the upper half of his body was above the rim before he came down and dunked the ball.

Wright is the run away (or fly away) winner. He has crazy hops and huge hands. His cartwheel dunk was wild.

My roommate played against Gerry in a pickup game at the fieldhouse the semester he sat out (he transferred from USC I think) and coming down on a 2-1 fast break Wright jumped right over the top of him and dunked it. My roomie just walked off the court shaking his head.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W46viHgCFlU"]YouTube - Iowa Men's Basketball: Doug Thomas Dunk Reel[/ame] Doug Thomas had a lot of great dunks

It's a shame Davis didn't show us much of that in a year. He's definitely had some time to polish up on his slam dunk contest material since leaving the Hawks.

Agreed...I was going to also mention the cartwheel dunk during open practices before the football games. Couldn't he also palm a bowling ball?

After reading this thread......the real depressing thing is that the list is so short. I mean we are talking about a list of players that 2 of the 5 only played here one year!

I am hopeful that we can double this list of athletic players giving us some exciting moments......in the next 5 years! We need to change the identity of this program and the only way we can really make change is by changing the players that play in the black&gold.

Wright is the run away (or fly away) winner. He has crazy hops and huge hands. His cartwheel dunk was wild.

My roommate played against Gerry in a pickup game at the fieldhouse the semester he sat out (he transferred from USC I think) and coming down on a 2-1 fast break Wright jumped right over the top of him and dunked it. My roomie just walked off the court shaking his head.

Wright jumped over a guard from Alcorn State who was standing 6' away from the basket to draw a charge on a break.

His greatest ever was vs Illinois with a 15' take off in a game. That was unreal.

My list would be...

Gerry Wright
James Winters (get a hold of some sr year video..OMG!!!)
Doug Thomas
Rickey Davis
Roy Marble,
Ray Thompson
Matt Bullard (prior to Knee injury)
Joey Range
Tyler Smith
Greg Stokes- Not Fancy but thunderous
Greg Brunner
Russ Millard

There are others-and i will say that before the Knee injury - Matt Bullard was on track to perhaps be the nastiest in your face dunkers of them all.

Also Pierre pierce probably should be in the conversation but.... no.

Roy Marble.

I'll never forget being at the game where he broke the scoring record. And of course, it was on a nasty lean in dunk. Others may have had nastier dunks, but nobody will bump Roy from that #1 spot on my list :)

Ricky Davis is w/o a doubt the best dunker to come out of Iowa...period! The fact that he was able to throw down like this on guys at the "next level" is all the evidence I need. Until someone provides footage of anyone else on the list with over 100 highlight reel dunks over NBA opponents, Ricky has my vote.

I would definitely include James Winters in the conversation for best Iowa dunkers.

On a lighter note, my All Anti-Air Hawk Roster would include:
Brody Boyd
Troy Skinner
Kent McCausland
Devan Bawinkel
Captained by Lil' Lick

+1

Competition over.