Iowa's 6 sacks allowed ties most by any team

Also the 57 yards lost were the most in FBS by 20 yards. Eeeesh. Brian Ferentz better light a fire under their ***** or it's going to be a long game Saturday.

We don't want to be leading in sacks given up after week two.
I'm not really sure I want to lead the nation in made FG's either, except if it puts us on the positive side of the ledger.

ISU at 98th place sacks could be a wash on Saturday as long as nome result in a turnover.

They didn't play against a pro-style system...

Sack totals are tougher to gauge than they used to be...fewer sacks allowed used to be a decent OL indicator...its not as much any more as more teams play spreads, quick hitter offenses. Teams like Iowa in the pro-style, drop back passing game are the rarity.

Jon how many of our sacks were on the line and how many were from James either holding it too long or not throwing it away?

Iowa State Total defense; 55
Pass efficiency defense; 21
Pass defense; 48

I wouldn't put much into the stats this early in the season tho. I don't think you can make much of a comparison either. But Iowa's defense didn't do as bad as some are saying.

Last edited:
Jon how many of our sacks were on the line and how many were from James either holding it too long or not throwing it away?

Other than a straight up whiff by an OL, how do you place fault? I simplify things and place blame equally. Ultimately the QB didn't get rid of the ball soon enough, the blockers didn't hold their blocks long enough and the receiver didn't break off his route soone enough.

Blame falls all sorts of places for those sacks, the least of which I put on the OL given the sheer number of defenders NIU had coming at james. They were putting 8 or 9 in the box. Those 8 or 9 were teeing off on the run and the pass and we gave them no reason to do otherwise. Once it was established we weren't going to do anything vertical their D game plan was simple-
1. Pin ears back
2. Meet at QB/ball carrier
3. Rinse and repeat

I give some of the blame for the sacks on V-berg. I think he holds the ball too long at times and does a terrible job at recognizing where the pressure is coming from during his pre-snap reads. if I was going to coach against us I would bring pressure every play until we showed the ability to burn them. He needs to recognize that he needs to throw the ball away at times if his hot read isn't there immediately. Other QBs do it I don't know why he can't.

Latest posts