IowaLaw's Post Game Report: Miami

My guess is the coaches are figuring out that the reason the cash worked so well is because we had a really good player playing it. I'm nervous that we don't have a player to pull it off this year. Also the fullback plays didn't bother me because both carries were on 3rd and 1. I think they feel really good about Ross getting one yard. My biggest complaint about personnel decisions was one that ended up working out fine anyway. Playing Goodson in his first snaps in a 4th quarter where the game is still loseable seems very questionable to me. But like I said, it worked out and he looked pretty good.
Goodson is going to be the best back on the team. He deserves to be on the field, as he can do things the other two cannot. Great vision, can cut, by far quicker than either of the other two, and is actually a threat to take one the distance as he has speed the other two don't have. You're right about the cash position because we don't have an Amani Hooker on the team.

* No excuses for the secondary unable to defend a few Hail Mary floaters that became receptions for key Miami plays.

* Do we have a RB that can’t be run down from behind? Lots of space on a couple of runs that could have resulted in TD’s with a little more speed. Maybe Goodson finally gives us that element eventually.

* I do agree that Smith-Marsette needs more touches......one of our few explosive players.

* Still have issues defending 3rd and long......how many years now?

* Kickoffs were less than stellar with some not making the end zone and one or more out of bounds.........both giving good starting points for the opposition.

* Best part of iowa’s Game on Saturday IMHO was showing the ability to use multiple weapons with the passing game......being able to run the ball makes other things more effective. If we can do that vs ISU caliber I’ll feel better about our offense going into the BIG
Goodson won't be caught from behind. He has speed that Sargent and Young don't have. I predict he will be the #1 back next year if he stays healthy. I think we will have great difficulty running the ball all year. Stanley can't stretch the field, and teams know that. So stack the box and make Iowa throw will be what teams do, just like last year.

* Kickoffs were less than stellar with some not making the end zone and one or more out of bounds.........both giving good starting points for the opposition.

Miami starting position following Iowa kickoffs:

23 yard line
21 yard line
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)

No kicks out of bounce, Miami never once started beyond the 25 yard line.

26th nationally in opponents' 3rd down conversion % last year (I think 17th among P5, just behind Alabama). I can't find splits by distance. I can pretty confidently say they were well above average in defending 3rd and long last year, as well as the year before.

I’ll take your word for it but it was a MAC school.......just seems we pin the O down often for 2 downs then give it up plus more......too often. I think I saw a TV screen shot showing a % of 3rd down completions at least last night by Miami and it was high considering many of their 3rd’s needed longer yardage to move the chains.

Oh...IowaLaw...why the drivel? Why? I guess you get a reaction...so if that is what you are after...great...congrats. You really have some really poor takes.

Stanley was pretty damn good last night. The ball placement to Smith in the endzone was bad twice? To Martin was bad? To Ragani was bad? The one to Ragani was slightly underthrown, but he was trying to make sure it was a big play...could it have been more in front of him...yes...but it was a 45 yard pass play. There was a ton of run after the catch last night...that would counter your argument.

As others pointed out...Smith-Marsette has never returned punts. Fail.

Nate was very pedestrian last night. That kind of performance ain’t gonna cut it against the rest of the B1G or even the Clowns.

I’m fascinated by how many Hawkeye fans still don’t understand Iowa football. Last night was about as perfect an “Iowa way” first game as can be. Decent opponent that we just lean on for 40 minutes and they eventually fall over the last 20.
Stanley missed some throws, and made others. He’s been doing that for 3 years now. My only beef with him is the early decision on 4th and short, throwing a ball that when run well has maybe 50% chance, but when and where he threw it had zero chance of conversion.

Epenesa was disruptive when he had the chance but they primarily ran away from him and had a lot of quick throws. He will definitely get his this year. They had a good game plan. I rewatched the game and the d-line actually got a lot of pressure but the ball was typically out in 2 seconds. Had it not been they would have been getting to him all game. At 3 seconds they were always close. Only 2 times he held it more than 3 seconds he was hit as he threw by AJ once and Reiff the other (pressure by AJ forced the scramble)

Last edited:
Goodson won't be caught from behind. He has speed that Sargent and Young don't have. I predict he will be the #1 back next year if he stays healthy. I think we will have great difficulty running the ball all year. Stanley can't stretch the field, and teams know that. So stack the box and make Iowa throw will be what teams do, just like last year.
Stanley certainly can stretch the field. He has plenty of arm strength. The question as always can WRs get open against a top notch secondary. I’m thinking BSmith and OMartin will emerge. If Martin was good enough to be in the conversation at Michigan, some sources had him starting, I think he’ll be good at Iowa. One thing Stanley showed was noticeably more touch and not just the fades to the end zone, which were excellent. Not everything was a 100mph fastball.

I remember Chuck Long had tons of touch and accuracy. That and his uncanny ability to find the open guy and his timing with WRs made him by far the best I’ve seen at Iowa AINEC, imo. It’s not easy or somebody else would have done it better by now.

Last edited:
I’m fascinated by how many Hawkeye fans still don’t understand Iowa football. Last night was about as perfect an “Iowa way” first game as can be. Decent opponent that we just lean on for 40 minutes and they eventually fall over.
Stanley missed some throws, and made others. He’s been doing that for 3 years now. My only beef with him is the early decision on 4th and short, throwing a ball that when run well has maybe 50% chance, but when and where he threw it had zero chance of conversion.

Epenesa was disruptive when he had the chance but they primarily ran away from him and had a lot of quick throws. He will definitely get his this year. They had a good game plan. I rewatched the game and the d-line actually got a lot of pressure but the ball was typically out in 2 seconds. Had it not been they would have been getting to him all game. At 3 seconds they were always close. Only 2 times he held it more than 3 seconds he was hit as he threw by AJ once and Reiff the other (pressure by AJ forced the scramble)

Agreed all around. AJ didn't have the highlight reel, but he was disruptive and they game planned well...and their qb executed well and his wr caught a lot of 50/50 balls.

* No excuses for the secondary unable to defend a few Hail Mary floaters that became receptions for key Miami plays.
I'm sure you don't know what a hail Mary is, so the rest of this isn't going to go well.

* Do we have a RB that can’t be run down from behind? Lots of space on a couple of runs that could have resulted in TD’s with a little more speed. Maybe Goodson finally gives us that element eventually.
i see you don't understand angles either.

* I do agree that Smith-Marsette needs more touches......one of our few explosive players.
we have a few explosive playmakers? how many touches did the other "few" get?

* Still have issues defending 3rd and long......how many years now?
Miami completed 3rd downs: 1yd, 1yd, 13yd and a PI. 4-for-12.

You must be thinking about your Cylones' kicking game. They had one or two OOB and some short kickoffs.
Iowa didn't as a guy who pays attention said this:
CP87 said:
Miami starting position following Iowa kickoffs:

23 yard line
21 yard line
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)
25 yard line (touchback)

No kicks out of bounce, Miami never once started beyond the 25 yard line.

* Best part of iowa’s Game on Saturday IMHO was showing the ability to use multiple weapons with the passing game......being able to run the ball makes other things more effective. If we can do that vs ISU caliber I’ll feel better about our offense going into the BIG
Yes.

Empty stats? What exactly does that mean....that he got all his yards in garbage time...he didn't. Jesus...the guy hits on 75% of his passes, when you take away the throw aways and throws 3 perfectly thrown balls for TDs and people are bitching about him. Penn State last year...bitch away...Miami of Ohio...shut your damn pie hole...you are a freaking idiot.

Go back and watch Mississippi State...sure he made a bonehead throw for a near pick six...but he got us in the endzone three times against the best defense in college football. He also made a winning play with his feet on a fourth and one at the 12 yard line on a busted pass play...it led to a touchdown on the next play....something he needs to do more of and did last night.

Guess what...Tom Brady ain't walking through the freaking door...Nate Stanley had a really good night last night. Kudos to him...and his team believes in him.

Tom Brady wasn't perfect in college, either. Nobody saw what he was going to do in the NFL coming. He was picked 199th. He never put up the numbers Stanley has already put up. His completion percentage was 60%, he threw a Max of 18 TDs in a season, and had a 7.5 ypa - that's almost equivalent to Stanley.

That's not to refute your post, but at this point in their careers, Stanley has been, statistically, more productive than Brady was.

I appreciate you putting your review out there every week.For what its worth, I always read it and find your take interesting. Usually I disagree with a portion and agree with a portion. I disagree with a lot of portions this week. The punt returner thing has been covered. You didn't mention aj was responsible for the intereception we got as he destroyed the qb on that play. Stanley was Stanley. Air mailed what would have been 2-3 walk in tds by the receivers/tes had he completed it, but also made some hugely accurate throws on the fades, the throw to beyer into triple coverage, and though he missed a wide open screen he also made a great play to sargent on a screen with 20 dudes blitzing him that resulted in one of the bigger plays in the game.
The other thing is, eppy very much effected the game. Didn't get home other than the one that forced the pick, but he was very disruptive. made the qb move off his spot a bunch. the reason they did so well on 3rd down is because we didn't blitz anybody in this game at all. when we get to isu we'll see a lot more sending of welch and Colbert who are both very good blitzers, along with those 5 guys up front. we'll be getting home. they saved some looks on d and went vanilla on Saturday.

Could you imagine if every reader posted their own (insert name here) XYZ Report? This place would be a mess!

I didn't not read, nor do I care about your opinions. Go start your own blog or express your opinions like everyone else does on here.

I appreciate you putting your review out there every week.For what its worth, I always read it and find your take interesting. Usually I disagree with a portion and agree with a portion. I disagree with a lot of portions this week. The punt returner thing has been covered. You didn't mention aj was responsible for the intereception we got as he destroyed the qb on that play. Stanley was Stanley. Air mailed what would have been 2-3 walk in tds by the receivers/tes had he completed it, but also made some hugely accurate throws on the fades, the throw to beyer into triple coverage, and though he missed a wide open screen he also made a great play to sargent on a screen with 20 dudes blitzing him that resulted in one of the bigger plays in the game.
The other thing is, eppy very much effected the game. Didn't get home other than the one that forced the pick, but he was very disruptive. made the qb move off his spot a bunch. the reason they did so well on 3rd down is because we didn't blitz anybody in this game at all. when we get to isu we'll see a lot more sending of welch and Colbert who are both very good blitzers, along with those 5 guys up front. we'll be getting home. they saved some looks on d and went vanilla on Saturday.
I thought that Sargent play might have been the best play of the game. Sargent blocked the blitzer, released, and then caught the ball, all in a split second and Stanley got it to him just as he was decked. It was nice scrappy scrambling.

I thought that Sargent play might have been the best play of the game. Sargent blocked the blitzer, released, and then caught the ball, all in a split second and Stanley got it to him just as he was decked. It was nice scrappy scrambling.

Apparently that play was improvised as it wasn’t intended to be a slip screen...

And, did you notice our new running back when he was in protection? He attacked his man like a rabid dog. Impressive.