Iowalaw's Post-Game Observations: Minnesota

IowaLawWasRight

This game provided a lot of us what we were looking for: more passing, more scoring, and some creative play calling. A 48-31 win against an inferior opponent feels good, but not great. Minnesota starts a walk-on freshmen QB, a recipe for a losing season. They just lost 42-13 to lowly Maryland. Inconsistency is the theme of this week's recap.

1. Stanley - The stats reflect a solid performance: 23 of 39 for 314 yards and 4 TDs. That's 59% accuracy. He took some shots down the field and scrambled out of the pocket, which are signs of progress. Unfortunately, many of his passes were incredibly poorly thrown. He missed a wide open Fant for an easy touchdown, threw behind a lot of receivers, and randyed one of the strangest unforced interceptions/near pick 6s in recent memory. He was only sacked once, yet he still had happy feet. Instead of resorting to check down passes, he completed 14 passes to WRs.

2. LBs - Amani Jones and Dijmon Colbert added some much needed athleticism and meanness to the LB corp, with 9 and 8 tackles respectively. Jones looked like a wild beast out there sacking the quarterback, launching de-cleaters, and getting lost in pass coverage. His hit that resulted in a targeting call was reminiscent of some of the bell ringers Matt Roth and Bob Sanders used to dish out. Jack Hockaday played well, but suffered what looked like a pretty serious injury. Nick Nieman didn't play and his return is unknown. Barrington Wade was listed as a starter, but he totaled just 1 assisted tackle all game. I don't even remember seeing the guy out there. Kristian Welsh, our multiple game starter, had just 1 tackle as well. Mixed bag performance by the LBs.

3. WRs - The WRs showed flashes, but remain inconsistent. Brandon Smith had the breakout game that most have been expecting all year. He had 5 catches for 68 yards, and by my tally, zero drops. Easley led the team with catches, mostly down the middle, and is beginning to become the reliable leader he was last year. On the other end of the spectrum, Smith-Marsette had another game where he had more drops (4) than catches (3). No doubt he's got speed, as he showed on his 60 yard reception and 49 yard kick return. If only he could catch, he would be unstoppable. By the time Smith and Smith-Marsette are seniors, they are going to do some damage.

4. Freshmen CBs - First off, an Iowa team should never need to start two true freshmen CBs under any circumstances. Recruiting misses and major attrition at the position, coupled with injuries to our starters, necessitated throwing these guys to the wolves. Thank goodness the wolves in this case were Minnesota, a team with a walk-on freshmen QB who has no clue what he's doing. All CBs get burned from time to time (Desmond King did as a freshmen). Moss was no different. However, these guys played with heart and raw talent. They were rewarded with 3 interceptions between them. It's becoming clear: Iowa doesn't rebuild at CB, it reloads.

5. DL - Continuing the trend of inconsistency was the DL. The Big 10's sack leader, and future NFL draft pick Epenesa, was a no-show. I didn't hear his name called all day, despite Minnesota's porous OL. Anthony Nelson, on the other hand, put together an NFL draft highlight reel, with 3 sacks in the first half alone. He showed dominant bursts of quickness. Goldston was a beast as well, stuffing the middle and tallying a sack. Parker Hesse showed why he starts over AJ, and had a couple of tackles and a sack.

6. OLine - This was not the OLine's best game. They held up well in pass protection, giving up just 1 sack. However, the line didn't even give Iowa's RBs a chance. Half the hand offs were met by a DL in the backfield who blew the blocker off the line. We have three very capable running backs, yet they averaged just 2.7 yards per carry despite throwing the ball well all day. Imagine how much better they would be if James Daniels had stuck around and we moved Keegan Render to guard. Aleric Jackson was called out on tv today with a total whiff, but it was a collective poor effort by the line.

The main issue is still the damn scheme, specifically KF insisting we have to be “balanced”

We come out with a little tempo and pass the ball, and i was surprised cause MN was hurting in the secondary.

We move the ball with ease.

So what do we do on the next series, run up middle. Run up middle....but we score on a broken play, which again showed the weakened of the MN secondary.

Next series, run up middle. Run up middle. And then we do nothing on that series.

We could have put up 4 TD in the first Q had we stuck with the pass. Stanley was in rhythm.

But we stop what is working to run the damn ball (or in other games we’ll pass when the run is working).

This style is what kept MN in a game they had no business being in.

We won, and looked better on offense for most part. So that’s important

The main issue is still the damn scheme, specifically KF insisting we have to be “balanced”

We come out with a little tempo and pass the ball, and i was surprised cause MN was hurting in the secondary.

We move the ball with ease.

So what do we do on the next series, run up middle. Run up middle....but we score on a broken play, which again showed the weakened of the MN secondary.

Next series, run up middle. Run up middle. And then we do nothing on that series.

We could have put up 4 TD in the first Q had we stuck with the pass. Stanley was in rhythm.

But we stop what is working to run the damn ball (or in other games we’ll pass when the run is working).

This style is what kept MN in a game they had no business being in.

We won, and looked better on offense for most part. So that’s important
MN was never in the game. Garbage QB and no run game. Being 2 possessions out isn't "in" the game

Per usual everything @IowaLawWasRight says has a negative slant to it. I'm not gonna kill him for that, as that is just the way he is programed it seems. I can see he is actually TRYING to be objective, it is just impossible for him.

1) Stanley. He is never going to be super accurate. That isn't just something that is going to show up during the season. While I do wish he was more accurate, he does a great job of getting us into the plays we should be in and works his progressions pretty well. He is way above average back there, and leads this team well.

2) LB's. Overall the LB crew has been awesome. In years past if we got past the starters because of injury, the drop off typically killed our season. This year 6 have played, and 6 have played more than adequate. Sure there have been some mistakes, but that happens with new players at any position. Colbert screams NFL LB, and is gonna be very good for Iowa. Jones just need to make sure he gets the D into the right call, and stays in position. If he does that his athleticism will allow him to be very effective.

3) WR's. Really impressed me this week. You are seeing more consistency from them. They aren't all the way there yet, cut you can obviously see the strides they have made from last year to this year.

4) Freshman CB. Once again the negative slant of the OP makes him believe this is a bad thing. Yet what we have seen under Phil is Fr. CB that come in and play do so because they are that GOOD, not because other players couldn't also play. All the time we hear that Iowa doesn't play it's best talent, but at CB there is no doubt that we always do. We heard positive things about Josh Turner and Creamer all offseason, but all of a sudden Fr. pass them up on the depth charts. That is a testament to the Fr., not a strike pretending that others that got passed up aren't talented. Sure Moss struggled in his first game early as a Fr., but by the 2nd half he settled in and played pretty well after a rough start.

5) DL. You could tell Iowa was more concerned about keeping a running QB in contain than going all out after him. Also Minnesota Offensive line is probably the 4th or 5th best OL in the B1G. PFF focus has them graded out there and Hawkeyegamefilm also said watching film you could see their OL was good. Even though they are failry solid and we weren't going crazy, but looking to contain some running QB, we still sacked the QB 5 times and had 7 tackles for loss.

6) OL. I agree, this was not their best effort. Jackson totally whiffed on the Minny DE on the strip sack of Stanley. They also had a tough time punching holes for the Iowa running backs. Minnesota constantly had 8 or 9 in the box, and they obviously wanted to make Iowa prove they could beat them in the passing game (which they did).

The best part about these post game analysis threads is the OP always manages to contradict himself.

Stanley sucks because he threw for 300+ and 4 TDs but also ISM dropped 4 balls. Makes sense.

O line very disappointing in the run game. Very.

I posted something in another thread about a sideline interview with Nick Saban yesterday. The sideline interviewer asked him why the running game wasn't effective (Alabama was up 24 or something like that) and if he would focus on getting the running game going in the second half. Saban looked at him like only Saban can (that condescending stare) and said, "Hey, if you are going to line up to stop the run...i'm ok throwing it every play...the points count the same whether you are throwing it or running it."

Enough said.

The best part about these post game analysis threads is the OP always manages to contradict himself.

Stanley sucks because he threw for 300+ and 4 TDs but also ISM dropped 4 balls. Makes sense.

The OP has an agenda and narrative to uphold. As someone stated, he trying to project objectivity, trying.

I posted something in another thread about a sideline interview with Nick Saban yesterday. The sideline interviewer asked him why the running game wasn't effective (Alabama was up 24 or something like that) and if he would focus on getting the running game going in the second half. Saban looked at him like only Saban can (that condescending stare) and said, "Hey, if you are going to line up to stop the run...i'm ok throwing it every play...the points count the same whether you are throwing it or running it."

Enough said.

Maybe. But Maryland ran roughshod over Minnesota's D. The fact that we couldn't says something. It's not the first time we've seen teams focus on stopping our run game. 2.7 yds/carry is pretty weak.

If we are actually seeing a willingness to adapt and adjust our offense, that's great. (and long overdue)

Agreed about KF teams always have to be 'balanced'. Keep pounding square peg in round hole, expecting it to go through. Frustrating. Wish KF game-coached like Fry (Scratch Where it Itches)...If they put 9 in the box, throw for 500 yrds and 5 TDs, if they switch and put in 6 DBs, Run for 400 yds.
KF has an obsession with being 'balanced', even if it completely bogs the offense down.

Per usual everything @IowaLawWasRight says has a negative slant to it. I'm not gonna kill him for that, as that is just the way he is programed it seems. I can see he is actually TRYING to be objective, it is just impossible for him.

1) Stanley. He is never going to be super accurate. That isn't just something that is going to show up during the season. While I do wish he was more accurate, he does a great job of getting us into the plays we should be in and works his progressions pretty well. He is way above average back there, and leads this team well.

2) LB's. Overall the LB crew has been awesome. In years past if we got past the starters because of injury, the drop off typically killed our season. This year 6 have played, and 6 have played more than adequate. Sure there have been some mistakes, but that happens with new players at any position. Colbert screams NFL LB, and is gonna be very good for Iowa. Jones just need to make sure he gets the D into the right call, and stays in position. If he does that his athleticism will allow him to be very effective.

3) WR's. Really impressed me this week. You are seeing more consistency from them. They aren't all the way there yet, cut you can obviously see the strides they have made from last year to this year.

4) Freshman CB. Once again the negative slant of the OP makes him believe this is a bad thing. Yet what we have seen under Phil is Fr. CB that come in and play do so because they are that GOOD, not because other players couldn't also play. All the time we hear that Iowa doesn't play it's best talent, but at CB there is no doubt that we always do. We heard positive things about Josh Turner and Creamer all offseason, but all of a sudden Fr. pass them up on the depth charts. That is a testament to the Fr., not a strike pretending that others that got passed up aren't talented. Sure Moss struggled in his first game early as a Fr., but by the 2nd half he settled in and played pretty well after a rough start.

5) DL. You could tell Iowa was more concerned about keeping a running QB in contain than going all out after him. Also Minnesota Offensive line is probably the 4th or 5th best OL in the B1G. PFF focus has them graded out there and Hawkeyegamefilm also said watching film you could see their OL was good. Even though they are failry solid and we weren't going crazy, but looking to contain some running QB, we still sacked the QB 5 times and had 7 tackles for loss.

6) OL. I agree, this was not their best effort. Jackson totally whiffed on the Minny DE on the strip sack of Stanley. They also had a tough time punching holes for the Iowa running backs. Minnesota constantly had 8 or 9 in the box, and they obviously wanted to make Iowa prove they could beat them in the passing game (which they did).

I like your analysis, I thought moss was okay, especially for a true freshman, but I didn’t see Brents targeted at all. He had to have been locked in, he’s the next Desmond king/josh Jackson. He was a 4* recruit and obviously deserved those stars.

The true freshman walk-on QB turned down offers from Illinois, Pitt and Cincy. Not exactly muderer’s row, but still. I’d have taken the money.

I thought for a true freshman annexstad played well, considering what he is surrounded with. On an unrelated note, how did Fleck not find a spot to give this kid a scholarship out of high school among the 300 other offers he hands out? Fleck is lucky he’s a local kid.

Enough said.

I also was a bit concerned about the lack of a run game, but hey 48 points? I was just happy to see them deemphasize the run and start to throw instead of doubling down on the run like previous ferentz coaches teams and coordinators have.

Agreed about KF teams always have to be 'balanced'. Keep pounding square peg in round hole, expecting it to go through. Frustrating. Wish KF game-coached like Fry (Scratch Where it Itches)...If they put 9 in the box, throw for 500 yrds and 5 TDs, if they switch and put in 6 DBs, Run for 400 yds.
KF has an obsession with being 'balanced', even if it completely bogs the offense down.

Agreed...to a certain extent that's what we did yesterday. Some of the 40 runs, 10-12 were fourth quarter run the clock sort of runs. The clock became the important factor up three scores.

Maybe. But Maryland ran roughshod over Minnesota's D. The fact that we couldn't says something. It's not the first time we've seen teams focus on stopping our run game. 2.7 yds/carry is pretty weak.

If we are actually seeing a willingness to adapt and adjust our offense, that's great. (and long overdue)

Yeah...but it's coaching why they got trashed by Maryland...and alot of that yardage were huge plays. Maryland spreads you out. Fleck just got outcoached in that game. Minnesota also plays differently at home...that was alot of their team's first road game too.

Per usual

id).

That is interesting as the TV coverage had info on the screen saying the Minny OLine was giving up a lot of sacks and hurries so maybe bad in pass protection but better in run blocking. I thought Minny ran the ball ok at first couple possessions but then the hawks wrapped them up and shut them down pretty well.

Of course Minny being down so much made it hard for them to run a lot. These are not your Maroney Barber III goofs.

A couple of things: First, MN had 8 men in the box a good share of the time. Second, as I watched the game in person and first half on my dvr, Iowa's O line had a good push, but they were outnumbered and many of the stops by MN came from the back side and shooting LB's through gaps. Third, Iowa did rush for over 100 yards, though not by much. They did call some plays that were passes, but were actually running plays, like a couple of very successful screens and some to wide outs with a blocker in front of them. I think in essence, Iowa scratched where it itched. I thought overall, the pass pro was pretty darn good.

Latest posts