Iowa’s incremental progress slowed by poor defense

HawkeyeHypnosis

Iowa’s incremental progress slowed by poor defense - The Washington Post

I have to say that as our D has been bad, teams are hitting 3's against us regardless if we have a hand in the face or not. Numerous times I have seen great D and as the shot clock winds down, they hit a fallback shot or some prayer. With those consistently happening it makes us look worse on paper. Here's from the article:

The Hawkeyes rank last in the Big Ten in scoring defense by nearly five points a game, and they’re also bringing up the rear in field goal percentage defense. Shoddy defense has been a season-long trend for the Hawkeyes, one that has McCaffery searching for answers as they prepare to play Penn State (11-15, 3-10) on Thursday.

iowa ranked last in ncaa in bodyslamming defense. looking forward to women being in college football. it`ll be fun

I think it starts with our lack of a shutdown post defender, which means we collapse on the interior leaving outside guys open. We need better defenders all over the floor,I guess. Not sure if the frosh can really be expected to be ready to be better defenders in the paint. Our sophs have to improve.

Re:IowaÂ’s incremental progress slowed by poor defense

02-14-2012 03:37 PMJHHawk
I think it starts with our lack of a shutdown post defender, which means we collapse on the interior leaving outside guys open. We need better defenders all over the floor,I guess. Not sure if the frosh can really be expected to be ready to be better defenders in the paint. Our sophs have to improve.

Have to agree with you. We over collapse quote often.

In the words of the "immortal" 6th grade Rec. league champion Coach(Me).
"Move your feet, anticipate and move your feet"

I'm pretty sure Fran coaches it well, we just don't currently have the footspeed to stay in front of defenders, so others have to help, they help off the outside guy leaving him open, and unfortunatley other teams seem not to miss too many open shots against us. If the O was being ran the way Fran would like to see those open shots become much harder to make at the end of the game, tired legs and all, when we develope depth our defense will look alot better. Teams like NW will not be able to match the pace and will have a tough time scoring like they will need to. I think it is going to start looking much better next year. For whatever reason Cartwright has been a liablility this year especially defensively, he made Sobelewski look like John Stockon.

This whole team is a collection of both physically and mentally poor defenders.

We don't have any length inside and no quickness outside. The one guy who is quick, Cartwright, is the worst defender out of everyone.

Latest posts