Iowa’s actual attendance average is 4,591

Maybe they should do what Notre Dame did and reduce the amount of seating by making all seats have backs on them? If they are going to renovate they might as well find a way to make it a better place to be, more comfortable. I would love to not see the ugly gray seats on TV anymore, maybe spice the place up a bit with black and gold seats or just gold. If the do re-do the seating I hope they take out them ugly press boxs', they have the best seat in the house.

?? Not sure what you're getting at, all the seats in CHA have always been theater-type with backs. No aluminum planks like Kinnick. As to the color, remember the place was built in the earth-tone 80's. Best way to cover that up is to put people in the seats, then it doesn't matter what color they are.

I think you're right about the press area. The trend these days is to give the paying customers the good seats and stick the press somewhere out of the way, judging from the press complaints I've read about newer stadiums such as Busch in St. Louis. Of course, right now there are plenty of seats so it's not a hot issue. But those press tables look like they were made of plywood and are showing their age.

Breslin Center represents what Carver used to be (plus real attendance numbers) | GazetteOnline.com

OPPONENT ANNOUNCED ACTUAL
Texas-San Antonio 8,486 3,703
Duquesne 7,943 3,108
Bowling Green 9,010 4,347
N. Carolina Central 8,433 3,760
Virginia Tech 8,755 4,274
Prairie View A&M 8,375 3,693
Drake 9,921 5,871
S. Carolina State 8,561 3,303
Purdue 12,468 7,659
Minnesota 9,588 5,794
Michigan State 9,924 5,832
Tennessee State 8,021 2,521
Penn State 9,651 5,829

Only 5800 bothered to show up for Michigan State on a Saturday night? Wow. That says it all.

I cant see how the University can afford this type of financial failure on top of the failure that Lickliter has produced on the court, this needs to change after the season ends. Another year promises nothing better ( and yes, I know, a good recruiting class coming in, but how does that assure more wins and more fans ).

If anything, I feel there will be even less fans next year. It seems that quite often, attendance typically reflects the success of the previous year's team, or lack thereof. Renewal of season tickets (or not), as well as the way the season finishes out leaves a certain taste in your mouth going into next year. I shudder to think what a 1-17, 2-16 or 3-15 conference record this year would accomplish in that regard, especially if there are more transfers after this season.

I just don't see how the attendance gets any better next year. Best case scenario, maybe next year's team surprises us and you start seeing some better numbers in the 2nd half of the season, like by February maybe, but I think next November and December will be very ugly.

Fans are probably going to want the team to show them the goods against Big Ten opponents before they start coming back. It's going to take more than a "get out and support the team" pep talk.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to a game and moved down to the front? Did you get hassled at all by the ushers?

Even with low attendance the front row seating is full. I have season tickets for row 37, but I generally move down to row 15 or so which is a great seat. No one says anything as there is generally a lot of open space. I don't get too greedy with getting courtside.

I have been to 10 home games this year, and I am horrible at guessing the ACTUAL attendance, so I would believe the actual numbers posted here. The thing that makes people think the place if full is that there is a lot of people spreadout. If you forced everyone to sit on one side of the arena and fill up all the seats I think you would be amazed at how empty the arena actually is. I think sometimes it seems like more people are there than there really are.

I remember stating that I thought more people were at the Purdue game than the Minnesota game and it turns out I was correct.

Those figures stun me. I don't think you can regain the passion until significant improvement happens. I'm no talking about being .500 overall either.

It seems like a perfect storm has occurred. It is certainly not all TL's fault but imo he will be the one to pay the price.

Part of the problem is with the location of the Arena. When the Hawks are winning, fans will put up with a little inconvenience for parking and traffic. But with a poor team, who wants to walk half a mile in the bitter cold to watch a team with little chance of even performing well, let alone winning, then sit in traffic for half an hour after the game.

I'm not familiar with the arenas at other Big Ten schools. Is parking a problem everywhere?
It's easy to park at Hancher and take the shuttle bus. Takes care of the walking and the traffic after. Plus you get to crowd in with a lot of other fans who are just shaking their heads after games.

I cant see how the University can afford this type of financial failure on top of the failure that Lickliter has produced on the court, this needs to change after the season ends. Another year promises nothing better ( and yes, I know, a good recruiting class coming in, but how does that assure more wins and more fans ).

+ 1

This is unacceptable for Iowa basketball. I knew attendance was down even further and witnessed it first hand in the two games I've attended this season (the last being Penn State)...but this is ridiculous.

?? Not sure what you're getting at, all the seats in CHA have always been theater-type with backs. No aluminum planks like Kinnick. As to the color, remember the place was built in the earth-tone 80's. Best way to cover that up is to put people in the seats, then it doesn't matter what color they are.

I think you're right about the press area. The trend these days is to give the paying customers the good seats and stick the press somewhere out of the way, judging from the press complaints I've read about newer stadiums such as Busch in St. Louis. Of course, right now there are plenty of seats so it's not a hot issue. But those press tables look like they were made of plywood and are showing their age.
I guess I was having a brain fart about the seats having backs. I guess I should say better seats, bigger ones. I guess in my thoughts the seats would have a cushioned back and and seat for max comfort for the fans that don't like to stand and cheer. IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to lessen the total amount of seats for some type of "luxury".

The UTSA loss is the worst loss in Iowa basketball history since UC-Riverside loss back in the 80s...With that said, I have a question, when was the last time an Iowa B-ball game was sold out?

Latest posts