Iowa’s actual attendance average is 4,591

iahawk20

Looking at those numbers, I get the same feeling I use to get when I was a youngster and had to hold my sister's hand in the grocery store.

This is really sad to see. If nothing is done after this year with Lickliter, is the attendance really going to get any better? There are a lot of high school teams around the country that draw crowds of this size. This program is in sad shape.

We have not hit 50% capacity in a single game this season and are averaging under 30%capacity for the season. This is an all time low in Iowa basketball, wow.

Another record for Lickliter and counting. His management of the Iowa basketball program has been a failure of epic proportions. How long will Barta allow this trainwreck to continue before a new coach is brought in to try to rescue and resuscitate the program? Things were never even close to this bad during Alford's tenure. I felt and still feel Alford needed to go but this hire was tragic from Iowa's standpoint.

Maybe they should do what Notre Dame did and reduce the amount of seating by making all seats have backs on them? If they are going to renovate they might as well find a way to make it a better place to be, more comfortable. I would love to not see the ugly gray seats on TV anymore, maybe spice the place up a bit with black and gold seats or just gold. If the do re-do the seating I hope they take out them ugly press boxs', they have the best seat in the house.

I've been to all the games this year and as a veteren of small crowds from 20 years of going to women's games, I'm surprised by the totals in the Gazette article. Scanning does seem the way it's done, but that seems a bit low.

I just don't get the numbers in terms of students. For example, if you look at Purdue vs Penn St games I would venture to say at least part of the drop (say 1,000 to 1,500) would be in the student section alone and Drake might very well have had more students in attendance than Iowa.

I've been to all the games this year and as a veteren of small crowds from 20 years of going to women's games, I'm surprised by the totals in the Gazette article. Scanning does seem the way it's done, but that seems a bit low.

The Drake game figure seems low to me as well. I was at that game, and just looking around the place seemed to be 2/3 full. You'd think if there were so few people attending that the line for ice cream wouldn't be so damn long.

I cant see how the University can afford this type of financial failure on top of the failure that Lickliter has produced on the court, this needs to change after the season ends. Another year promises nothing better ( and yes, I know, a good recruiting class coming in, but how does that assure more wins and more fans ).

I just never thought I would ever live to see the day that Northwestern draws more for basketball than Iowa. That should tell Barta something right there!

Part of the problem is with the location of the Arena. When the Hawks are winning, fans will put up with a little inconvenience for parking and traffic. But with a poor team, who wants to walk half a mile in the bitter cold to watch a team with little chance of even performing well, let alone winning, then sit in traffic for half an hour after the game.

I'm not familiar with the arenas at other Big Ten schools. Is parking a problem everywhere?

Part of the problem is with the location of the Arena. When the Hawks are winning, fans will put up with a little inconvenience for parking and traffic. But with a poor team, who wants to walk half a mile in the bitter cold to watch a team with little chance of even performing well, let alone winning, then sit in traffic for half an hour after the game.

I'm not familiar with the arenas at other Big Ten schools. Is parking a problem everywhere?

This and the start times are easy excuses not to go to a game.

Latest posts