Iowa vs. Virginia announcers: Carter Blackburn and Dan Dakich

I'm not hung up on Double D being Alford's buddy...he's decent enough at his job and things could always be worse...Pam Ward could have gotten the play by play gig...

I don't mind him that much, and he is actually entertaining to listen to, if you don't take him too seriously, but I know that many posters cringe when they hear his name and voice.
He's better than most of the broadcasting talent that covers basketball on the ESPN networks.

He's only bad when he's out of games, when he starts talking about how great Alford and Akron and Indiana are. When he's in games, he sees things other announcers don't see and tells us that Iowa will be a threat for the conference championship next year. Dakich doesn't seem to have any beef with Iowa, not sure why so many Hawks have hard feelings against him. Would you rather listen to Reid Gettys, Joe Dean, Jimmy *****, Shon Morris? Pick almost anyone else, and Dakich is better.

He's only bad when he's out of games, when he starts talking about how great Alford and Akron and Indiana are. When he's in games, he sees things other announcers don't see and tells us that Iowa will be a threat for the conference championship next year. Dakich doesn't seem to have any beef with Iowa, not sure why so many Hawks have hard feelings against him. Would you rather listen to Reid Gettys, Joe Dean, Jimmy *****, Shon Morris? Pick almost anyone else, and Dakich is better.

It isn't about him liking or disliking Iowa.

I would rather have Doris Burke or Bobby Knight and others...Bilas as well.

There are some bad ones and then there is the irritating Crotch Itch.

2 things I really could careless about is who is calling a game and officiating and I'm being serious..

I'm too focused on the game to have these things affect my attention. In the end Iowa is the one who controls the outcome.. Way to many things happen in a game to blame a foul here or there.. As for who is calling the game who gives a crap..

I might get blasted for this, but I thought DD did a pretty good job tonight. He was unbiased, lauded both teams, and called the refs out. I believe he called it a poorly officiated game from both sides.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

I might get blasted for this, but I thought DD did a pretty good job tonight. He was unbiased, lauded both teams, and called the refs out. I believe he called it a poorly officiated game from both sides.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Agreed, the man speaks the truth. He's a fun announcer to have for a game.

No clue at all what peoples problem is with Dakich or most announcers for that matter. Ive never heard an espn guy talk so well of Iowa.

No clue at all what peoples problem is with Dakich or most announcers for that matter. Ive never heard an espn guy talk so well of Iowa.

+1. Dakich is kind of a gomer, but I have to admit that I find him pretty entertaining as a color guy/analyst and he says alot of things that I can't really argue with.

You can say what you want about Dakich but he was definitely sticking up for Iowa tonight and calling out that ridiculous officiating. Somehow after attacking the basket all night we were down 16-1 in free throw attempts to Virginia.... until they had to foul us to extend the game.

All I can say is Virginia was lucky that was not an evenly officiated game on both ends or we would have beat them by 25 points.

I've said it before, he knows the game, just talks way to much.

It's nice to have a Big Ten homer on ESPN though.

He has way too many absolutes. This guy is the best in the nation at _______, or that guy is the best in the B1G at _______. When he said Oglesby (27% from 3 and overall) is the best shooter in the B1G, I did a spit take.

Latest posts