Iowa vs Tennessee Tech Two Deeps

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
WeekOne2Deep.jpg

I'm surprised to see Tobin over Scherff and Nardo over Davis, though I think there will be plenty of snaps to go around on the DL this year.

I think Davis has had an injury as of late...and Kirk was real high on Tobin after the open practice media session

nice to see Bernstin healthy and looking to get some good PT, I really liked what I saw of him in the bowl game.

I thought Donatell was a safty? When did he move to OLB?

Edit: Just looked at the official rosters and he is labeled as a DB.

I'm surprised to see Tobin over Scherff and Nardo over Davis, though I think there will be plenty of snaps to go around on the DL this year.

Tobin is really strong ... and, furthermore, he's been in our system for a good while now. If you watched him in back-up action last year ... you would have come away rather impressed. I'm 100% confident in Tobin's abilities.

Scherff will be a good one too ... however, he needs to continue improving his consistency. As it is ... I think that Scherff will still see action this year.

I thought Donatell was a safty? When did he move to OLB?

Edit: Just looked at the official rosters and he is labeled as a DB.

Donatell's career at Iowa has been an interesting one. He starting off getting reps at QB ... then he moved over to LB ... then he moved back to S ... and now he's getting reps at the OLB spot.

Anyhow, this tells me that Getz has probably continued to have injury issues.

Is it just me or did Nardo come out of no where to start? You would think Davis would be in there.

Why?

Davis will play ... however, he's also been banged up a bit.

Furthermore, we want to put Davis in a position to succeed. I'd frankly rather have him come in situationally ... where he doesn't need to think and/or worry as much ... and just focus on playing fast and providing the D with a spark. What happens from then is that he'd invariably gain confidence and then likely become a starter as a SO.

As for Nardo ... he was dinged in the spring. However, before that he was a staple on the depth chart with Bigach ... backing up our DTs. My impression is that he's a sound player ... more than serviceable.

The thing that surprised me was seeing Bigach at DE and Gaglione at DT.

My impression there is that looking to the future, we're going to need some good guys to be able to start for us at DE in 2012. Due to graduation ... we're going to be losing 3 guys at DE from the depth chart ... and our overall depth behind those guys is nil.

Thus, if I were to guess ... the coaches figure that Alvis and Bigach are our best bets to be solid starters at DE for the '12 season. Then, from there, we need to be able to have guys who are ready to step up at DT. And, to that end, we're kinda better off at DT concerning upside and depth. Davis, Cooper, and Trinca-Pasat will combine to keep the DT spot well stocked .... and Jaleel Johnson could definitely work his way into the picture as soon as '12 too (although I hope he redshirts).

BTW ... if you watch the week 3 video finale of fall-camp ... it looks like Spears has been working at DE. I like the move ... and I hope that he really embraces it too.

My guess is that we'll see more two-TE sets and less of the fullback.

Not only that ... we'll likely be seeing 3-TE sets too. We used those a bit back in '08. I think that we'll see them again in '10. They're going to probably try to find ways to get Derby or Hamilton on the field at the same time as the Hermanator and CJ Fed.

TEs will be a continued theme through the year ... that's my prediction. The ability to threaten the power run ... but still be dangerous in the passing game ... it has the potential to be a pretty lethal combo.

It looks like they will be able to rotate 7 or 8 guys on the O and D-line without a huge drop off.....I like the depth.

Keep in mind that several freshmen are going to play, and some may push into the two-deep prior to the Iowa State game

It looks like they will be able to rotate 7 or 8 guys on the O and D-line without a huge drop off.....I like the depth.

Yep ... we'll have 7 or 8 "regulars" who play quite a bit on the DL. Some of those guys will admittedly likely come in more situationally ... however, they'll get put in even if the game is on the line.

Daniel, Forgy, Alvis, Nardo, Davis, Daniels, Binns, and Bigach ... they're all guys who will get quality and quantity reps. However, I also think that we can count on Cooper and Trinca-Pasat also seeing action in a back-up capacity.

No offense to Gaglione ... but he's listed behind Daniels. Daniels won't come off the field unless he's absolutely gassed. And, if he does, Alvis and Davis are the guys who'd most likely come in for him.

Latest posts