Iowa vs OSU 2009 on BTN

Ian

4th Qtr. tied 24-24 on now. Vandenberg played his a** off for a freshman

I remember after OSU lost to Purdue, I thought we would win this game, and even if we didn't, I expected Penn State to beat OSU the week before we played them anyway.

Then came a revitalized OSU team, a heartbreaking loss for the Hawks vs. Northwestern, and a mountain of injuries ... Still, I was proud of the Hawks after this game. They played tough football in the face of a lot of adversity. And it assured me that Vandenberg to McNutt would be great in 2011 ...

Nice call, think i'll do the same.

The decision to play for OT still puzzles me, although our D was pretty dominant on the last drive..really wish ole Kirk woulda ran a couple more plays..

Q4, we have the ball @ the fo$u 33, 00:52 and one timeout, Vandy on a string of 7/7 with a TD. KF takes a knee. :-/

I forgot how good our D was that year, our O line was awesome too...

We had our lucky spots that day. Vandy throwing into triple coverage, the ball pops straight up for a 16 yard Moeaki reception! Great game, that OT was brutal to watch though as we melted down...

Got me excited all over again about how good Vandenberg can be. Also reminded me how good that defense was.

Watching the Big Ten Network, you would think that Iowa hasn't won a football game since the 2005 Capital One Bowl.

Watching the Big Ten Network, you would think that Iowa hasn't won a football game since the 2005 Capital One Bowl.

You must have missed the seemingly hundreds of times they have played our 2008 win over PSU then. It seems like that game is always on.

I would think they would play it this week or maybe our 2002 shootout in Happy Valley since we play PSU this week.

I wish our 2009 game out there would make it onto the Big Ten Network in their greatest games series. I do not have a copy of that game.

I wouldnt mind seeing Iowa's 54-28 win at Illinois in 1990 on the greatest game series. I mean it was great for Iowa fans at least

The truth hurts?

Haha....Vin conveniently left out that Vandy had thrown a couple picks up to that point, had a pick 6 negated by an encroachment penalty in the 4th quarter and avoided another INT because 2 OSU players pretty much collided and it bounced into the hands of Moeaki, also in the 4th quarter.

While Vandy played well that day and showed a lot of heart, most Hawk fans seem to think he was flawless that day and played a perfect game. He did not and KF made a no brainer decision on going for OT.

You can't forget about DJK's return in that game. If not for that return we wouldn't have even been in the game. Vandenberg played well for a redshirt freshman but he made several mistakes. On the other hand if Stross wouldn't have dropped a TD catch and if we wouldn't have missed a field goal we would have won.

Haha....Vin conveniently left out that Vandy had thrown a couple picks up to that point, had a pick 6 negated by an encroachment penalty in the 4th quarter and avoided another INT because 2 OSU players pretty much collided and it bounced into the hands of Moeaki, also in the 4th quarter.

While Vandy played well that day and showed a lot of heart, most Hawk fans seem to think he was flawless that day and played a perfect game. He did not and KF made a no brainer decision on going for OT.

After watching that game again, Iowa was lucky to have a chance to win. I don't know any hawk fans who thought Vandy played perfect. He did show many signs of being a good quarterback though. Remember the Stross drops. I do. They're embedded in my memory. Could of been a completely different game if he catches those touchdowns. At the end Vandenberg definitely seemed like he was unraveling. At the time I was mad we didn't go for it, but now I can see more of what Ferentz was thinking.

I couldn't disagree more - playing for OT under the circumstances was anything but a "no brainer".

JVB doesn't suddenly become error-proof just because the game is in OT.. He is the same player as he was in regulation and is prone to the same mistakes. There is no guarantee that he wouldn't throw a pick in overtime. And as we all know, turning the ball over in OT pretty much guarantees that you lose. That is not necessarily the case if JVB throws a pick in regulation.. It just depends where you are on the field.

Even though JVB didn't turn the ball over, OT was such a disaster that we couldn't even kick a FG. Then OSU gets the ball on their possession, already in FG range. Kick. Game over.

The Hawks had ALL of the momentum at the end of the 4th quarter, we have the ball with a chance to win, with OSU getting no guarantee of another possession. So the game would have come down to 1 possession - which was ours.

But we gave that up that advantage by allowing OSU to regain its composure for OT, and playing by a set of rules that gives each team an equal chance to win the game.

That's my 2 cents. Not sure if I will ever agree with not attempting to ride our momentum to victory when we had the chance.

Stross only dropped one TD. Had he caught the other pass, he'd have been down at the 2 yard line as he was running parallel to the goal line and a defender was ready to nail him had he caught it.

I couldn't disagree more - playing for OT under the circumstances was anything but a "no brainer".

JVB doesn't suddenly become error-proof just because the game is in OT.. He is the same player as he was in regulation and is prone to the same mistakes. There is no guarantee that he wouldn't throw a pick in overtime. And as we all know, turning the ball over in OT pretty much guarantees that you lose. That is not necessarily the case if JVB throws a pick in regulation.. It just depends where you are on the field.

Even though JVB didn't turn the ball over, OT was such a disaster that we couldn't even kick a FG. Then OSU gets the ball on their possession, already in FG range. Kick. Game over.

The Hawks had ALL of the momentum at the end of the 4th quarter, we have the ball with a chance to win, with OSU getting no guarantee of another possession. So the game would have come down to 1 possession - which was ours.

But we gave that up that advantage by allowing OSU to regain its composure for OT, and playing by a set of rules that gives each team an equal chance to win the game.

That's my 2 cents. Not sure if I will ever agree with not attempting to ride our momentum to victory when we had the chance.

Some good points. I never said Vandy was going to become error free if the game went to OT. My thinking is that KF wanted to get to OT and get everything slowed down for him. Asking a RS Freshman to lead a 2 minute drill at the horseshoe with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line in his 1st career start is asking a ton.

Get to OT and he could just play a normal game, and not have to worry about getting the clock stopped, throwing close to the sidelines so the receiver could get out of bounds or running a no huddle attack. He could just do what he had been doing all game.

Granted our offensive series could not have gone much worse than it did in OT but I still think it was the right call.

Latest posts