IOWA vs MINNESOTA.

castille

Very important for seedings not only in the Big Ten Tournament but NCAA Tournament.
125 #1McDonough vs #2Sanders
133 #3Ramos vs #8Dardanes
141 #5Marion vs #8Dardanes
165 #6Evans vs #14Yohn
174 #8Lofthouse vs #5Storley

IOWA is going to have to win at 125,133,141,157,165, and 174, to beat Minnesota. I'm looking at bonus points for Minnesota at 149 and 197, and quite possibly a fall by Yohn over Lira. Steinhause and Nelson should win.:)

Very important for seedings not only in the Big Ten Tournament but NCAA Tournament.
125 #1McDonough vs #2Sanders
133 #3Ramos vs #8Dardanes
141 #5Marion vs #8Dardanes
165 #6Evans vs #14Yohn
174 #8Lofthouse vs #5Storley

IOWA is going to have to win at 125,133,141,157,165, and 174, to beat Minnesota. I'm looking at bonus points for Minnesota at 149 and 197, and quite possibly a fall by Yohn over Lira. Steinhause and Nelson should win.:)

I thought Kelly wrestled well...he got thrown for a 5 pt move but outside of that they wrestled pretty even.

It's going to be a good one. Lofthouse needs to win this time around.

This will be close but the Hawks are better now. I see a 2 pt win. Would love a Telford upset. Evans and McD will get majors.

This will be close but the Hawks are better now. I see a 2 pt win. Would love a Telford upset. Evans and McD will get majors.

I'll be surprised if McD majors Sanders. It's possible, since he owned him last match, but I'd be very surprised.

I'll be surprised if McD majors Sanders. It's possible, since he owned him last match, but I'd be very surprised.

The only good thing about it is that Sanders actually wrestles him. That will keep the points going. If Sanders thinks he can win this match, which as a competitor he SHOULD, he might get majored. If he plays defensive to help the team, he will not get majored.

I see Sanders backing up alot in this match just to prevent the major. I'm sure coach robinson is telling him to be aggressive, but i think that after the beat-down in IC that his head will not allow him to stand toe to toe with McD. This would also be a good time for MM to continue to open up his offense and show us that he is ready to compete for the Big10 and Ncaa title.

let me rephrase, not backing up but rather blocking McD and not looking for the first move. trying to catch McD on either a reshot or counter thus limiting McD on his offense.

I see Sanders backing up alot in this match just to prevent the major. I'm sure coach robinson is telling him to be aggressive, but i think that after the beat-down in IC that his head will not allow him to stand toe to toe with McD. This would also be a good time for MM to continue to open up his offense and show us that he is ready to compete for the Big10 and Ncaa title.

let me rephrase, not backing up but rather blocking McD and not looking for the first move. trying to catch McD on either a reshot or counter thus limiting McD on his offense.

I'll agree with that.;)

I'll agree with that.;)

I just don't see any of that, I don't see Sanders backing up, or lying in wait for a McDonough mistake, and Sanders has had numerous "beatdowns" beyond the last dual, I just think Sanders is programmed to attack (sound familiar) and he's used that approach the previous 3 or 4 times they've met so I don't see a change being made on his part, and if he were to change it would play into mcdonoughs hand, Sanders is aggressive and an attacker he doesn't know how to play the waiting game and slow-play his attack, if he were to suddenly change his style he'd be uncomfortable and against a stud like McD he would be exploited.

I also worry about MM and opening up, he just lives so dangerously I see it catching up with him here

My predictions:

McD DEC Sanders (Iowa 3 - MN 0)
I think we see another DEC for McD on Sunday. It will be a comfortable margin, but not a MD. I'll say McD wins 8-3

Ramos DEC C. Dardanes (IA 6 - MN 0)
This was a really tough matchup for Tony. Dardanes might be the most physical 133 pounder out there. However, Tony is wrestling out of his mind right now. I think we see a similar match to last weekend's Ramos-Carter match. Tony wins by 1-3 points.

Montell DEC N. Dardanes (IA 9 - MN 0)
Montell looked REALLY good against Mangrum last weekend. He seems to be turning it on at the right time. Dardanes is a tough matchup for him. We didn't see it in the previous MN-IA dual, but Dardanes has a great double leg. Montell has shown himself susceptible to this move in the past. Provided Montell stays on the offense and doesn't let this turn into a 1 TD match, I like his chances. Montell wins by 4 points.

Ness DEC Kelly (IA 9 - MN 3)
Kelly played Ness' game in their previous matchup and got majored. I think he's smarter here and keeps it closer. Ness wins by 5 points.

Moore DEC Ortiz (IA 12 - MN 3)
Moore looked really good in their first matchup, but I don't see another 5 point move this time. Moore wins 6-3.

Evans MD Yohn (IA 16 - MN 3)
While Evans is clearly the better wrestler, we can't expect another pin here. I can't get over how much Evans has improved from the neutral position this year. Also, his scrambling skills are arguably the best on the team (surpassed only by McD). Evans by MD, 10-2

Lofthouse DEC Storley (IA 19 - MN 3)
Lofthouse had no business losing their previous matchup. Up 2-0 after the 1st. Then he gets the escape in the 2nd to go up 3-0 and was in on another TD with 30 seconds left in the 2nd before giving up a TD to Storley with 2 seconds left in the period. Up 3-2 going into the 3rd, gives up the reversal and then ridden out to end the match. It all is going to depend on where his head is at on Sunday. It sounds like Brands is making Lofthouse his personal project ever since that Storley match. I think it pays dividends and Ethen comes out on top, winning 4-2.

Steinhaus DEC Gambrall (IA 19 - MN 6)
In the previous dual, Steinhaus thoroughly outclassed Wagner, winning by MD. Steinhaus is one of the best athletes in the country, regardless of weight. He's got fantastic offense and is able to put a lot of points up on the board. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gambrall's chances here and he's going to look much better at 184 than he did at 197 (Captain Obvious, here). These 2 faced off twice last year with Steinhaus winning both (5-4 in the dual, 4-1 at Big 10s). Gambrall will be in this to the end, but Steinhaus is just too good. Steinhaus wins 5-3.

Yohn DEC Lira (IA 19 - MN 9)
Lira has to wrestle smart here. He's usually not afraid to let it all hang out - since his defense isn't great, this usually results in multiple TDs being scored against him. Yohn has proven to be one of the more frustrating wrestlers for Gopher fans. Despite an 18-4 record, he's really gotten conservative this year, with only 5 bonus points wins (2 pins, 1 TF, 2 MDs - all against scrub wrestlers). While he has the talent to score bonus (especially against a guy like Lira), I don't think he does. Yohn wins, 6-1.

Nelson DEC Telford (IA 19 - MN 12)
I'm guessing Telford gets the shot here. It seems like Brands has made a decision to go with the freshman the rest of the way. After starting the season on fire, Telford really seems to be lacking in confidence right now. He looked terrible against the marginally talented (and outsized) Va Tech HWT and never had a chance against Jack of Oregon St. I'm struggling to have confidence in Telford right now. He's going to be a NQ, but is going to be lucky to win 2 matches in STL. Nelson is going in the opposite direction. Since getting smoked by #2 Gelogaev (lost by MD, 16-5), he's ran off a string of 15 consecutive victories. Nelson wins 7-3.

Last edited:
Welcome to the show here comes the Hawks near peaking. I am thinking (JMO) we blowout the U of M they maybe win 2 matches. JMO
Go Hawks!!!!

Hope Ross Larson is coming to Iowa

Welcome to the show here comes the Hawks near peaking. I am thinking (JMO) we blowout the U of M they maybe win 2 matches. JMOGo Hawks!!!!Hope Ross Larson is coming to Iowa
Yes what is the story on Ross? He has been tearing it up this year. Is Tom and Terry after him?

Intermat's national duals semi-finals preview:

InterMat Wrestling - 2012 NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals Preview

Iowa vs. Minnesota

Big Ten rivals Iowa (13-3) and Minnesota (12-3) meet for the second time this season. The Hawkeyes edged the Gophers, 19-17, in their meeting Jan. 29 in front of 9,511 fans at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The two teams split 10 matches in the dual meet, and bonus points proved to be the difference.

Weight-by-Weight Breakdown

125: No. 1 Matt McDonough (Iowa) vs. No. 2 Zach Sanders (Minnesota)
McDonough, a two-time NCAA finalist and 2010 NCAA champion, has owned the series against Sanders, winning all five meetings in college. McDonough's last four victories over Sanders have been by six or more points, with the most recent being a 7-1 victory. Sanders was able to get to McDonough's legs in the last meeting, but couldn't convert against the longer McDonough. Sanders is a three-time All-American and will go down as one of Minnesota's greats, but has not been able to solve the McDonough puzzle to this point.

133: No. 3 Tony Ramos (Iowa) vs. No. 8 Chris Dardanes (Minnesota)
Ramos and Dardanes, both Illinois natives, are very familiar with each others' styles. They have both beaten each other throughout their careers. Dardanes had a win over Ramos at the FILA Junior Nationals (freestyle) in 2010. Ramos, though, won their only collegiate meeting this season, 5-2, by making the most of his scoring opportunities.

141: No. 5 Montell Marion (Iowa) vs. No. 8 Nick Dardanes (Minnesota)
Marion, a two-time All-American, needed just one takedown to edge Dardanes, 3-2, in their last meeting. Dardanes was in deep on a double leg attack in that match, but Marion used great hip action to avoid getting taken down. Look for Dardanes to try to turn this match into a high-scoring affair, unlike the last meeting, while Marion will look to slow Dardanes down and pick and choose his shots carefully. Both have been wrestling well. Dardanes scored 27 points in two matches last weekend, while Marion defeated then-No. 4 Mike Mangrum of Oregon State this past Sunday.

149: Michael Kelly (Iowa) vs. No. 10 Dylan Ness (Minnesota)
Ness, who is currently ranked 10th, registered a major decision over Kelly, 15-7, in their last meeting, which was highlighted by a spectacular leg sweep throw by the Gopher redshirt freshman. Ness can score a lot of different ways, and like older brother Jayson, is dangerous with his high half nelson series. Kelly, a redshirt freshman, had a nice Midlands, placing fifth, but has struggled since then, going 2-7 over his last nine matches. Ness is the prohibitive favorite in this match and will be looking for bonus points again.

157: Nick Moore (Iowa) vs. Danny Zilverberg or Alec Ortiz (Minnesota)
This is the only match in the dual meet featuring a pair of unranked wrestlers. Indications are that Moore will go for Iowa with Derek St. John battling a knee injury that could put him on the shelf. Minnesota will counter with either Zilverberg or Ortiz. Zilverberg, a starter last season at 149 pounds, has seen limited action this season. The Gophers used both Ortiz and Zilverberg at the regional last weekend. Moore already owns a major decision victory over Ortiz this season, so the Gophers may turn to Zilverberg, who is coming off a close loss to Drake Houdashelt of Missouri.

165: No. 6 Mike Evans (Iowa) vs. No. 14 Cody Yohn (Minnesota)
Evans, a redshirt freshman, pinned Yohn in last month's dual meet, which helped propel the Hawkeyes over the Gophers. Evans is wrestling with a lot confidence right now. He was dominant in his last four matches, picking up two pins and two shutout victories. He is strongest in the top position and has improved tremendously on his feet. Yohn, a two-time NCAA qualifier, has battled through ups and down this season. He was a runner-up at the Southern Scuffle, where he picked up some quality wins. But he had a tough stretch in January, where he went 2-5. Yohn had a nice showing last weekend, picking up wins over two NCAA qualifiers.

174: No. 8 Ethen Lofthouse (Iowa) vs. No. 5 Logan Storley (Minnesota)
Storley came from behind to beat Lofhouse, 5-3, in their meeting last month. The Gopher true freshman has not suffered a defeat since the Southern Scuffle, where he lost to Penn State's Matt Brown. He is currently 21-3 and ranked No. 5. Lofthouse, a redshirt sophomore, has been dominant since losing to Storley, picking up three straight bonus point victories. His only losses in 2012 are to No. 2 Ed Ruth of Penn State, No. 3 Chris Perry of Oklahoma State, and Storley.

184: Grant Gambrall (Iowa) vs. No. 7 Kevin Steinhaus (Minnesota)
Steinhaus, like Storley, has not lost since the Southern Scuffle. He went 8-0 in Big Ten dual meet competition and picked up bonus points in six of those victories. The only non-bonus point victories came over Penn State's Quentin Wright and Nebraska's Josh Ihnen. Last weekend Steinhaus outscored his two opponents 22-1. Gambrall, a returning All-American at 184 pounds, has only competed at 197 pounds this season, so he will be making his season debut at 184 pounds. He comes in with a 7-7 season mark. These two wrestlers met twice last season, with Steinhaus winning both meetings.

197: Tomas Lira or Vinnie Wagner (Iowa) vs. No. 7 Sonny Yohn (Minnesota)
Yohn, a two-time All-American, beat Gambrall the last time these two teams met. With Gambrall down at 184 pounds, Yohn will likely face either Tomas Lira or possibly Vinnie Wagner. Yohn has had a few bumps in the road this season, including a 10-0 loss last weekend to Missouri's Brent Haynes, but comes in with a 20-4 record. Lira is coming off four straight losses, including two last weekend. Wagner has gone 9-8 competing at 184 pounds. He was a seventh-place finisher at the Midlands Championships.

285: No. 14 Bobby Telford or Blake Rasing (Iowa) vs. No. 4 Tony Nelson (Minnesota)
Nelson, who earned All-American honors last season as a freshman, has reeled off 15 straight victories since losing to Oklahoma State's Alan Gelogaev on Dec. 4. He has six wins over ranked wrestlers, but has had some close calls lately. Nelson has needed overtime in two of his last three wins, including last weekend against Kent State's Brendan Barlow. Nelson beat Rasing in the dual meet last month, which was his first win over the Hawkeye senior in four career meetings. Rasing and Telford have split time as the starter this season, but lately Telford has been getting the nod. Telford, a Midlands runner-up, comes in with a 20-5 season record.

Predictions

Semifinals
Oklahoma State 22, Illinois 10
Minnesota 17, Iowa 16

Third Place
Iowa 21, Illinois 9

Championship
Minnesota 17, Oklahoma State 15

Lofthouse lost to Spangler too. Don't know what to take away from an analyst that can't count losses and figure out he is missing one.

Latest posts