Iowa vs Mercer NCAA tournament Thread

Good to win, but I hope they got the jitters out. Way too many turnovers and Tania needs to make those FT's.

Megan Gustafson finished with 30 points, 16 rebounds, and 4 assists.

Hannah Stewart also had a double double 12 points, 10 rebounds.

Makenzie Meyer had 16 points, 5 three pointers, and a critical free throw.

Last edited:
Iowa with tremendous defense (held opponent to 28-80 shooting) and rebounding (47-29) to gain the advantage. This looks like a national championship level team for sure with how many ways they can find to win games.

Iowa also stopped Mercer’s 17 game winning streak. They also played Florida State to a 1 point game. I don’t know how they dropped to a 15 seed. Drake and Missouri game is about to start, prepare to beat the winner of that game.

Last edited:
Iowa also stopped Marcer’s 17 game winning streak. They also played Florida State to a 1 point game. I don’t know how they dropped to a 15 seed. Drake and Missouri game is about to start, prepare to beat the winner of that game.

It's Mercer not "Marcer".

At one point Mercer was 8-7 with back to back loses to Jacksonville and Columbia. They were a 15 seed because they won a crappy conference. Yes they barely lost to a decent FSU team on their own home court but they also got clobbered by a very bad Wake Forest team.

Cherry pick all you want but Iowa played like crap today, they should have throttled Mercer.

Is that really the box score? 24 TOs to the opponent's 3 TOs? The opponent didn't shoot any FTs?

The two bald headed males refs made some pretty questionable calls against Iowa. I think the two week layoff had a big effect on them with the turnover issues. I also wonder if the women's egos got a tad to big for their heads after winning the Big 10, and that is another reason for the sloppy play. Hard to believe that was Megan's first ever win in the NCAA tournament with how great a career she has had.

It was also weird to see an opposing teams pep band and cheerleaders in Carver. They had what looked like up to 40 cheerleaders there, they had to put some of their cheerleaders in the stands, and they never stop cheering during game play, it was annoying.

When Mercer took the lead with about 5-6 minutes left I was thinking Iowa might lose, and you could really feel the tension inside Carver. What was huge was when Smith missed both free throws with 16 seconds left, but on the second miss Megan got around the Mercer player and jarred the ball loose, then there was a mad scramble for the ball and Mercer knocked it out of bounds to Iowa. Then Doyle got fouled and hit her free throws to seal the win.

Omgoodness that was the ugliest game of the year! The crowd was doing their best to help out. I thought there for a minute somebody from the crowd was going to call timeout and ask WTF! lol I know I was about to puke! I thought Megan's career can't go down this way. Whew! it's a win and they need to move on and take care of Missouri Sunday.

Missouri beat Drake in overtime in the second game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

That means that Missouri will be Iowa’s next victim.

Iowa with tremendous defense (held opponent to 28-80 shooting) and rebounding (47-29) to gain the advantage. This looks like a national championship level team for sure with how many ways they can find to win games.

It’s Mercer Clinton!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And any team that turns the ball over against Mercer 24 times isn’t National Championship Level.

Latest posts