Gallery
Steinbach
Dallas Clark
Kaeding
Grant Steen
Colin Cole
Some all time greats indeed

Last edited:
You think if we go 12-0 that year we get in the National Championship game?

I do. Our wins were more impressive than OSU. They should have been beat by Illinois Purdue etc.

Miami vs Iowa for NC.

Yet USC still the best team based solely on the # of nfl players or their roster

I am ashamed to say after that game I wanted Norm fired. Bleepin 10 yard cushion to Whitver and Danielson. Seneca Wallace was great that day, but all the receivers had to do was drive the DB back turn around and catch the football. It was the most frustrating thing to watch ever.

A local station on their digital channel just showed the Iowa vs Arizona 1996 game IA won 21-20. Wasn't in HD and didn't even fill the screen, so the picture quality sucked. Weird seeing Hayden Fry on the sideline and the old south endzone score board

I am ashamed to say after that game I wanted Norm fired. Bleepin 10 yard cushion to Whitver and Danielson. Seneca Wallace was great that day, but all the receivers had to do was drive the DB back turn around and catch the football. It was the most frustrating thing to watch ever.

Yes it was. I was there in person and had to leave because I was so pissed off. Walking away from that game I wondered how Iowa could win a game playing D like that.

CBs were the only weakness on that team and it was a major weaknesses. Iowa just happened to be outstanding at literally every other position on the field on offense, defense, and SP so they got away with it and won 11 games.

But in Iowa's 2 losses they were absolutely abused.

Two things from that 2002 game. Fred Russel in the first half ripped through the isu defense, they couldn't stop him. But, Fred hurt his shoulder and that was that. I don't think he played in the second half. Second, Banks claims the tape wrapped around his wrists were to tight. I remember him trying to rip it off as he was under center before the ball was snapped, but couldn't get the tape loose.

I was at that game and I think I was like 23 years old - I remember being really sloppy and wanting to go to the tailgate at half time, but stuck it out. I was pissed I didn't go back to the tailgate.

I think

Think they only played 11 games that year in regular season but don't think they would have, no.

Remember being up 24-7 at half and still having a bad feeling we weren't going to win.

Yes it was. I was there in person and had to leave because I was so pissed off. Walking away from that game I wondered how Iowa could win a game playing D like that.

CBs were the only weakness on that team and it was a major weaknesses. Iowa just happened to be outstanding at literally every other position on the field on offense, defense, and SP so they got away with it and won 11 games.

But in Iowa's 2 losses they were absolutely abused.

Norm’s Strength was not developing corners. Look how many great ones we have had since he left.

I love Norm and he is a legend but he seemed to favor slower corners who could tackle which killed us in years when the front seven was rebuilding.

This was pre BCS formula, correct?

I think that however deserving, we would have had a hard time convincing the powers that be, not to mention TV and it's advertisers, that we were more deserving than Ohio State. It was tough luck of the draw to not play them in conference that season. And I agree with others that USC was the best team in the country that year anyway. We would have needed to pick Carson Palmer two or three times and it didn't happen. He abused us even when we had nickel packages on the field. And Vargas killed us on the ground, primarily because we had fewer in the box as we tried to slow down Palmer.

This was pre BCS formula, correct?

I think that however deserving, we would have had a hard time convincing the powers that be, not to mention TV and it's advertisers, that we were more deserving than Ohio State. It was tough luck of the draw to not play them in conference that season. And I agree with others that USC was the best team in the country that year anyway. We would have needed to pick Carson Palmer two or three times and it didn't happen. He abused us even when we had nickel packages on the field. And Vargas killed us on the ground, primarily because we had fewer in the box as we tried to slow down Palmer.

No, it was during the BCS Era (1998-2013, first winner was Tennessee, last was Florida State--oh, the irony!). U$C had the best team money could buy.

Best team of the Ferentz era - This game still pisses me off. Iowa was dominating - halftime couldn't have come at a worse time. Then Brad Banks got the dropsies.. Yeah I guess Fred Russell got hurt but seemed Jermelle Lewis was gashing them, too.

Yeah, I think I agree with others who say USC was the best team in the country by the time we played them in the Orange Bowl. USC was becoming the juggernaut that they were the next however many years under Pete Carroll. Tough draw. Still, Iowa could easily have had a double digit lead on them at halftime.. Left a lot of points on the field. Hawks wore out in the 2nd half, unfortunately. Thought our D was on the field a lot in the first half. I seem to remember an extra long break between our final game and the bowl - maybe rust was a factor with our offense.

I think Iowa probably beats either Miami or OSU that year - Thought Miami's run D was soft IIRC - good match up for us IMO. Just think we could have run the ball on them all day long. OSU was tough but kept skating by with lots of close wins. Maybe I'm being a homer but I think we win that game.

Not sure Iowa jumps into the top 2 even at 12-0 so maybe moot point, though, considering Miami and OSU were also both undefeated. Guess we'll never know.

Last edited:

Latest posts