Iowa vs Iowa State comparison

longtimer

There is no comparison. Iowa State recruits good players plays exciting basketball in front of great crowds. Unfortunately Iowa falls short in all categories and has for some time. We have become the team that most teams now count as a likely win. Wisconsin used to be like that about 25 years ago and it lasted for a long time for them as it has now lasted for us. Maybe a couple of respectable years but for the most part a disappointing program. The bar has been set so low. Apathy and empty seats are ahead
So can it change and if so how? Ralph Miller did it, Lute Olsen did it Tom Davis with George Raveling players did it. Hopefully there is a coach who can recruit and coach that we can lure to Iowa. Barta needs to start putting together a list. Yikes did I say Barta?

All it takes is a couple dudes. Iowa State gets them and has dudes. They get dudes through transfers or recruiting. Iowa has none. Cook maybe but he has been wasted his time here with no NCAA Tournament appearances. Think about how this junior class will enter next year not having made the Big Dance with 1 year remaining.

ISU was down last year and in one year they are Big 12 favorites after beating Kansas. Iowa is headed for second straight bottom feeder status. Let’s keep using Lickliter excuse though!

If Iowa State can get good players to Ames there's no reason that Iowa shouldn't be able to get good players as well. Unfortunately, Fran has shown that he can't do that if they aren't white guys from Iowa.

If Iowa State can get good players to Ames there's no reason that Iowa shouldn't be able to get good players as well. Unfortunately, Fran has shown that he can't do that if they aren't white guys from Iowa.

It comes down to the coach and the program. To an out of state recruit there is no difference between Ames and Iowa City. Hell the best recruiting classes every year go to Lawrence Kansas. That’s worse than both

Their win today would help our resume if we get our own heads out of the molasses. It's actually pretty preposterous that we are ranked and they are not.

It won't be that way much longer.

Sorry but there’s a fairly big difference in the two programs... Since 2014..ISU been to 3 sweet 16’s..won 2 big 12 tourney titles and was ranked for like 2.5 years straight..like the entire year straight for 2.5 years..Iowa football hadn’t done that.

NCAA tourney is a coin toss once you get in but they had couple teams that had legit talent to make a final four ( but didn’t)..

Hilton is a top 10 ish venue in cbball IMO.. When they have a good team and are ranked that place is an absolute nightmare for opposing teams.

They have like idk 5 or 6 kids playing in NBA right now.. Iowa has zero.

I’m not saying Iowa can’t have what I just described but the two programs aren’t on the same plane and it’s really difficult for recruits to choose say Iowa and Carver when they can choose to go to a recent winner.

Both ISU and Iowa were dumpster fires when Hoiberg and Fran were hired.

Lets looks at how the programs have done since (spoiler alert, this is gonna be why I think Fran should have been fired this spring). These stats don't include this year.

175-97 64% winning % (6 seasons with 23+ wins)
75-67 53% winning % Big12 play
6 NCAA tournament appearances
7 NCAA wins
2 sweet 16 appearances

151-120 56% winning % (1 season with 23+ wins and that was a NIT team)
68-76 47% winning % in B1G play
3 NCAA tournament appearances
2 NCAA wins

Last edited:
Sorry but there’s a fairly big difference in the two programs... Since 2014..ISU been to 3 sweet 16’s..won 2 big 12 tourney titles and was ranked for like 2.5 years straight..like the entire year straight for 2.5 years..Iowa football hadn’t done that.

NCAA tourney is a coin toss once you get in but they had couple teams that had legit talent to make a final four ( but didn’t)..

Hilton is a top 10 ish venue in cbball IMO.. When they have a good team and are ranked that place is an absolute nightmare for opposing teams.

They have like idk 5 or 6 kids playing in NBA right now.. Iowa has zero.

I’m not saying Iowa can’t have what I just described but the two programs aren’t on the same plane and it’s really difficult for recruits to choose say Iowa and Carver when they can choose to go to a recent winner.

Iowa could never achieve blue blood status the way the Cyclones have......It is just impossible.

Iowa HAS good players - Garza, JoVice, Cook, even JoBo are good players. Then you have guys like Moss, Baer, ConMac that are still pretty decent but less skilled / more specialized.

There is ONE GIANT REASON Iowa underperforms relative to it's talent ... C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G.
- Zero discipline;
- Mismatch of strategy to personnel;
- Terrible game flow adjustment / management;
- Horrible substitution patterns;
- Every single Assistant has limited experience and expertise;
- No Accountability to success.

Clown college is so far below the level of the University of Iowa there is no comparison. Iowa is dominating the Cy-Hawk series winning all the major sports.

Their win today would help our resume if we get our own heads out of the molasses. It's actually pretty preposterous that we are ranked and they are not.

It won't be that way much longer.

It will be a start but sadly Iowa has a LONG WAY TO GO now.. Iowa is in trouble.. Crazy to think that at 11-3 this is a MUST Win and just a start of many must games ahead of them.l

If the clowns actually had a baseball program, Iowa destroy them in baseball too. So it really could be 14-6. Either way Iowa wins the trophy decisively.

Iowa could never achieve blue blood status the way the Cyclones have......It is just impossible.

It is certainly not impossible. The University of Iowa has PLENTY to offer. When Iowa hired Lute Olson, few people knew who he was. He was a great coach and a fine man. Ralph Miller was coaching when I was at Iowa. No team will ever break the scoring records that team rang up. They were the most entertaining college basketball team EVER.
I know the problem now is the ball and chain created by McCaffery's bazillion year contract. I think that if the 2020-2021 team goes down the toilet, Fran will be gone - payoff or not.

For sure, Iowa CAN get the job done in basketball without having to resort to recruiting transfer thugs. And as far as venues go, the loudest Hilton crowd could never match the explosive roar of the Fieldhouse in the 1969-1970 season. I remember STOMPING on those metal bleachers 5 minutes or more before the opposing team took the floor. It was just unbelievable.

Iowa State will not "rule" the courts forever. This is still and always will be a Hawkeye State.

There is no comparison. Iowa State recruits good players plays exciting basketball in front of great crowds. Unfortunately Iowa falls short in all categories and has for some time. We have become the team that most teams now count as a likely win. Wisconsin used to be like that about 25 years ago and it lasted for a long time for them as it has now lasted for us. Maybe a couple of respectable years but for the most part a disappointing program. The bar has been set so low. Apathy and empty seats are ahead
So can it change and if so how? Ralph Miller did it, Lute Olsen did it Tom Davis with George Raveling players did it. Hopefully there is a coach who can recruit and coach that we can lure to Iowa. Barta needs to start putting together a list. Yikes did I say Barta?

Gosh, if only we could beat Iowa State.