Iowa vs Creighton at Wells Fargo this winter

I'd like to see the ISU/Iowa game against Drake in WFA every year. I'd also like to see an ISU or Iowa game in WFA every year since we play Drake at home in opposite seasons.

ISU\Iowa should get their games with drake scheduled so that alternate years theyre at CHA\Hilton, and the other year at WF. Either game will draw more than enough people to justify putting it in WF.

Probably never work given the importance of home games / revenue, but I have always thought it would be cool if the ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI could play some sort of in state tourney to support cancer research, Children's Hospitals in Iowa, families of troops, etc. If not all four, maybe have two in state schools play two semi border rivals (Wichita State, Creighton, SLU, etc. and have some reasonably priced tickets so folks can bring kids.

Total pipe dream I know.

It is more so a pipe dream because none of those teams would get to play in any other exempt tournaments which are great for recruiting. Hey, prospect, instead of going to the Bahamas we are going to Des Moines every season.

Who is Dale Turner? And I am not sure that a program that trying to rebuild right now should be giving up home games especially by moving the game closer to your opponent's campus.

iahawk72

You mean dale howard, one of our largest donors from iowa falls?

You want us to play ISU at the Well? I hope that never happens. Have any of you been to a basketball game there? It's not a college basketball environment, its more like an NBA setting. It doesn't get loud because its too big and you sit farther away from the court. Also, if you sit in the 3rd deck, you almost need binocs to see the floor.
The atmopshere at Carver and Hilton is 100x better than WFA.
I guarantee ISU will not give up their game against us at Hilton, to play at WFA. And it would be stupid for Iowa to do the same.

Have you ever been to a college basketball game there?

Who is Dale Turner? And I am not sure that a program that trying to rebuild right now should be giving up home games especially by moving the game closer to your opponent's campus.

iahawk72

dale howard. a huge contributer to the hawkeyes. They would not be giving up a home game.
there will be many central and western iowa fans of the hawkeyes who will jump at the chance to attend this game. This is probably one of the few chances to see their team live. I know with my schedule, i can't make it too every game in iowa city. I get to 1-2 games a year. this will just give me one more chance to see them. and i only have a 2 hour round trip to dsm and not a 5 hour round trip to iowa city to see them.

Spoke with Barta...while they do not have anything officially on the docket for annual Iowa in DSM games, they are hoping to make it an annual event.

My guess is in the years they don't play at the Knapp Center against Drake, they will try to schedule an opponent in Wells Fargo.

I am up for this game every year in the Big D. Plus Drake. The Hawks definitely need more exposure in this part of the state. More KF, FM & TB visit would help as well. Way too much evil Red from L'Ames and Lincoln fans.

Whatever they can do to promote Iowa in Des Moines and the western part of the state, the better. It seemed like Hayden was everywhere. Far too little has been done lately in my opinion.
This is the Hawkeye State afterall!

ISU\Iowa should get their games with drake scheduled so that alternate years theyre at CHA\Hilton, and the other year at WF. Either game will draw more than enough people to justify putting it in WF.

No, they should not. It would take away any home court advantage that Drake may have, and ISU/Iowa aren't going to agree to give Drake the whole gate when the majority of the fans in the building are rooting for the Hawks/Clones - which is exactly what would happen.

I think this is great for the program and for Des Moines. The Hawks will definitely have a home court advantage at Wells Fargo arena. This will be a nice opportunity for fans in the metro to take in a game and expose their kids to the Hawks if they have not had the chance to visit CHA. I think this is a good deal all the way around.

I live in Des Moines and there are a lot of Hawk fans in the metro area. It is not always easy to make it over to Iowa City for basketball games when many of the games are during the week night. This will be nice to get off work and then drive 10 minutes to the arena.

No, they should not. It would take away any home court advantage that Drake may have, and ISU/Iowa aren't going to agree to give Drake the whole gate when the majority of the fans in the building are rooting for the Hawks/Clones - which is exactly what would happen.

ISU\Iowa have a bit of leverage in this situation. Its not like theyre forced to play drake, and both schools should think of themselves as on a level above Drake. If ISU\Iowa said 'this is how its going to be'... thats likely how it would be.

And why would ISU 'not give drake the whole gate', when its not like they get any gate revenue from games at drake anyways? Hell, even if they wanted part of the gate money, ISU could probably take 25% of the gate and Drake would still make more money, or that increased gate revenue could be a good way to make up for them losing their home court.

ISU\Iowa have a bit of leverage in this situation. Its not like theyre forced to play drake, and both schools should think of themselves as on a level above Drake. If ISU\Iowa said 'this is how its going to be'... thats likely how it would be.

And why would ISU 'not give drake the whole gate', when its not like they get any gate revenue from games at drake anyways? Hell, even if they wanted part of the gate money, ISU could probably take 25% of the gate and Drake would still make more money, or that increased gate revenue could be a good way to make up for them losing their home court.

The Knapp Center hold around 7K, while Wells Fargo holds (I think) somewhere around 15K. Any Drake game vs Iowa or Iowa State is going to have Hawk or Clone fans make up the majority of the crowd. In that sense, it makes sense that Iowa/ISU want a piece of the action, as their fans are the ones turning the turnstiles.

Drake shouldn't be forced to give up a home game just because Iowa and ISU fans want to see their team play in Des Moines. If ISU fans in Des Moines want to see their team play, they can make the 40 minute drive to Ames.

Have you ever been to a college basketball game there?
Yes, I was at the ISU/Creighton game this last season. I also went to the ISU/Ohio St game a few years ago. (I used to live in DM and tickets were relatively cheap). Both times I sat in the lower level.
I have also been to plenty of games in Carver and Hilton. And in no way does the atmosphere at WFA even compare to Carver and Hilton. Hell, you could barely even hear the pep bands playing at WFA, if you sat opposite of them.
WFA is just too big and open for an intimate college basketball environment. Sure, it looks nice from the outside and inside, but thats it.

I think this is great for the program and for Des Moines. The Hawks will definitely have a home court advantage at Wells Fargo arena. This will be a nice opportunity for fans in the metro to take in a game and expose their kids to the Hawks if they have not had the chance to visit CHA. I think this is a good deal all the way around.

I live in Des Moines and there are a lot of Hawk fans in the metro area. It is not always easy to make it over to Iowa City for basketball games when many of the games are during the week night. This will be nice to get off work and then drive 10 minutes to the arena.

There is no way that the hawks would have home court advantage. Ames is 30 miles away, and lot's of Des Moines people are also Cyclone fans.

Must have read this wrong but I thought he was talking about having the Iowa Iowa St. game there...

Latest posts