Iowa vrs Purdue article

BigD

You know how you think reading an article might be interesting to read. Then you come away feeling pissed off. Well this article was one of those types of articles. I enjoy reading Chad Leistkow articles so it's not that. It's just the frustration of three out of fours years the Purdue Coach's seem to have our number and especially the better part of our program which is the defense. Can't say much about the way our offense performed last year either. I cringe as I read Merriweather comments because that attitude is the same thing we heard before last year's game. Anyways I thought I would just share it with you all. To think we were rated #2 in the nation going into that game. I know, I know, we suspected with our anemic offense we were way over rated and Purdue proved that.

There is that better

Last edited:
As much as I love Phil, he needs to finally show some willingness to man up against teams like Purdue. We sure as hell aren't putting up the points required to win those games if our DBs are going to be stuck in zone coverage all game.

Good point. Iowa has played Purdue every single year since Jeff Brahm has shown up. Why can't Phil Parker come up with a strategy to stop them? Why do Purdue WR's keep having career games against the Iowa secondary? Phil's obsession with sticking with the zone coverage often pays off but never against Purdue.

With that said, it's not like Iowa always gives up 30 points or more to Purdue. Iowa's offense keeps coming up short against Purdue. If Iowa's offense could just score 27 points or more, they would beat Purdue most of the time.

Good point. Iowa has played Purdue every single year since Jeff Brahm has shown up. Why can't Phil Parker come up with a strategy to stop them? Why do Purdue WR's keep having career games against the Iowa secondary? Phil's obsession with sticking with the zone coverage often pays off but never against Purdue.

With that said, it's not like Iowa always gives up 30 points or more to Purdue. Iowa's offense keeps coming up short against Purdue. If Iowa's offense could just score 27 points or more, they would beat Purdue most of the time.
Iowa has had an issue giving up game winning drives in conference play for a while now against these kind of opponents. Our defense gets gassed, or so it would seem. The question is: do we stop them sooner (i.e. not let Purdue score earlier with man coverage) or figure out how to hold off that game winning drive? You'd think Phil could figure out how stop a fairly one dimensional passing offense. I understand not being able to hold our own against Wisconsin if they have their typical running game and a great QB, but Purdue? Phil should have a big bonus contingent on that game alone. See Penn State for another common team they have this struggle with.

You know how you think reading an article might be interesting to read. Then you come away feeling pissed off. Well this article was one of those types of articles. I enjoy reading Chad Leistkow articles so it's not that. It's just the frustration of three out of fours years the Purdue Coach's seem to have our number and especially the better part of our program which is the defense. Can't say much about the way our offense performed last year either. I cringe as I read Merriweather comments because that attitude is the same thing we heard before last year's game. Anyways I thought I would just share it with you all. To think we were rated #2 in the nation going into that game. I know, I know, we suspected with our anemic offense we were way over rated and Purdue proved that.
Can’t copy and paste articles. You can link to them if you want.

Link to the article? Interested in reading it.

Worth mentioning that besides the loss last year, our previous losses to Purdue were all very tight games that I felt we were extremely unlucky to lose.

I don't think our losing to Purdue is really indicative of some sort of systemic problem; other than that their approach to offense is what works best against our defense. Last year they simply sucker punched us after we felt we could walk through the game by virtue of being #2.

This probably isn't worth anything but I'm feeling quite confident we finally get revenge and beat them this year.

Worth mentioning that besides the loss last year, our previous losses to Purdue were all very tight games that I felt we were extremely unlucky to lose.

I don't think our losing to Purdue is really indicative of some sort of systemic problem; other than that their approach to offense is what works best against our defense. Last year they simply sucker punched us after we felt we could walk through the game by virtue of being #2.

This probably isn't worth anything but I'm feeling quite confident we finally get revenge and beat them this year.

:cool:

Can’t copy and paste articles. You can link to them if you want.
Lol, I know how to do that, but I think that site requires a membership. They may let you read a few articles be for they ask you to pay. So just to be sure I decided to copy and paste it with some editing. I thought it was an interesting article.

I deleted some of the add portion of the article out of respect for the Hawkeye Nation. People pay money to run adds and I figured why let the other website put in free adds.

Lol, you kill me. I have posted hundreds of links over the umpteen years I have been on here. I was just being respectful and considerate.

Iowa has had an issue giving up game winning drives in conference play for a while now against these kind of opponents. Our defense gets gassed, or so it would seem. The question is: do we stop them sooner (i.e. not let Purdue score earlier with man coverage) or figure out how to hold off that game winning drive? You'd think Phil could figure out how stop a fairly one dimensional passing offense. I understand not being able to hold our own against Wisconsin if they have their typical running game and a great QB, but Purdue? Phil should have a big bonus contingent on that game alone. See Penn State for another common team they have this struggle with.
Until the Kentucky and Michigan games, I would say Iowa had solved the late game TD problem. So much so that Kirk was intentionally running out the clock instead of going for first downs on offense. That strategy worked against PSU but spectacularly back-fired against Kentucky.

Remember Iowa's defense had gone almost 3 straight years without giving up more than 24 points. There were 2 key changes that Phil Parker made that solve the late game TD problem

1) a switch to 4-2-5 defense against passing teams and the creation of the cash position.

2) starting rotating 8 defensive linemen so that they were never gassed at end of drives and end of games.

For the most part these changes worked. Except for Purdue, Wisc, Mich and Kentucky.

Blitz packages that keep A LOT of pressure on the QB’s. If you look at the teams that had success against Purdue it was because they pressured the quarterbacks.

Lol, that’s what many thought last year too. We are going to get revenge.

We’re Purdue’s bitches.

Joe Pa ain’t around to play Kirk ball anymore. If we could resurrect Joe and have him coach Purdue then Purdue would play right into Kirk’s hands. I always enjoyed beating Penn State and their more highly ranked recruits. Joe’s insistence to play conservative played right into Kirk’s hands.

Must be something in the water over there in Pennsylvania.

For those of you around my age, you remember the 20 year streak Iowa didn't have a winning FB record.

Coincidently, the losing streak vs Purdue was also 20 years.

It took Fry until 1981 to finally break the Boiler-streak.

We’re Purdue’s bitches.

Joe Pa ain’t around to play Kirk ball anymore. If we could resurrect Joe and have him coach Purdue then Purdue would play right into Kirk’s hands. I always enjoyed beating Penn State and their more highly ranked recruits. Joe’s insistence to play conservative played right into Kirk’s hands.

Must be something in the water over there in Pennsylvania.

Probably don't want to drink the water in Philadelphia, my hometown

:cool:

We’re Purdue’s bitches.
Nah, I think last year was fundamentally different from a mentality standpoint.

We had our sights on much bigger things than revenge against a team we were 1-3 in the last four against. For me, that game was a looking-ahead type of loss more than anything else. We just beat #4, rose to #2, were already thinking of being in the playoff, and didn't have enough respect for a team that is known for pulling off big upsets.

I really do think we should have won at least two of these recent meetings. 2020, when we lost because of a fumble; and 2018, when we lost on an at best questionable PI call (and that preceding horrendous offensive holding call on us).

Saying Purdue really has our number, or that we're their bitches, is emotional post hoc nonsense. We beat Purdue with "Kirk ball" this year. Write it down.

Last edited:
Lol, I know how to do that, but I think that site requires a membership. They may let you read a few articles be for they ask you to pay. So just to be sure I decided to copy and paste it with some editing. I thought it was an interesting article.

I deleted some of the add portion of the article out of respect for the Hawkeye Nation. People pay money to run adds and I figured why let the other website put in free adds.

Lol, you kill me. I have posted hundreds of links over the umpteen years I have been on here. I was just being respectful and considerate.
That article is copyrighted material behind a pay site. Whether you read it for free or not. You can’t just take an article and paste it wherever you want

I was a mod at an outdoors forum that had over 5,500 paying members, and it got shut down because someone copied and pasted an article from In-Fisherman’s website. It got reported to the domain owner and they got threatened to be sued for lost ad revenue and subscription revenue on top of the copyright violation.

You can “lol” all ya want, but don’t do it, “Big D.”

Lest you forget, you may have thought you were being “respectful and considerate,” but you stole someone’s article and reposted it on another site. The level at which they might get mad about it I’ll let you decide because I couldn’t give a shit less, but the bottom line is you’re not going to paste articles from other places. If you ever took a high school writing class you’d know that short quotes are ok as long as there is credit attributed to the source, but copying ain’t ok. That’s beyond HN rules, that’s copyright.

Ask Rob if he’d think it was cool if someone copied and pasted his article from a pay site somewhere else so people could read it for free.

It's the style points Fry. You are a grumpy old man early.

Then again you already know that. Not protected, but your handle isn't exactly original and laying claim to someone you likely shouldn't out of respect.
Go start a thread in OT if you want to debate with people about copyright law.

If you read my post in the thread about usernames, and in several other threads I gave credit to a tshirt store in Des Moines, Raygun, for seeing the word Fryowa. If you want to debate that…again, you can go debate it with yourself in OT.

Copying articles illegally ain’t happening, period. If you want to talk Purdue go ahead.

I realize Iowa has this game circled, but it will be a hard out. O’Connell is arguably the 2nd best QB in the conference and Brohm knows how to move the chess pieces against Iowa.

Even though Purdue has to rebuild their defense it still feels like an L to me.

I realize Iowa has this game circled, but it will be a hard out. O’Connell is arguably the 2nd best QB in the conference and Brohm knows how to move the chess pieces against Iowa.

Even though Purdue has to rebuild their defense it still feels like an L to me.
I agree and and I think one of the reasons we lost our top return guy is because he wanted more reps at receiver and didn’t feel he would get them at Iowa. I am sure he is going to want to prove he deserved that opportunity when he plays against us. I hope he doesn’t make that point and make us regret not giving him more reps and a opportunity to be one of our top receivers.

I also agree about it feeling like a L. Two out four could just be bad luck but three out of four is a statement. Parker has no answers for what Purdue’s offense does to us when we play them.

Our best bet is to keep our defense off the field and that means our offense is going to have to man up in this game. Any takers on the odds that that is going to happen? No all All American offensive lineman, no Goodson, and no experience at the quarterback coach position. I haven’t looked at the schedule but since we played them at home I am assuming this one is at Purdue……… not good.