141 - #11 Mark Ballweg (IA) major dec. #18 Anthony Salupo (LU), 15-5; 14-0
149 - Michael Kelly (IA) dec. #19 Shane Welsh (LU), 9-4; 17-0
157 - #1 Derek St. John (IA) dec. #4 Joey Napoli (LU), 6-0; 20-0
165 - #19 Nick Moore (IA) dec. #17 Eric Hess (LU), 7-4; 23-0
174 - #19 Nathaniel Brown (LU) dec. Grant Gambrall (IA), 3-2; 23-3
184 - #3 Robert Hamlin (LU) dec. #7 Ethen Lofthouse (IA), 9-4; 23-6
197 - John Bolich (LU) dec. #20 Nathan Burak (IA), 3-2; 23-9
285 - #5 Bobby Telford (IA) dec. Jack Delia (LU), 11-4; 26-9

big takeaway: looks like Grant wet the bed again. wonder how ****** off Brands and Ironside were.

Hamilton's review sounded as if Brands was very unhappy with the way the upper weights wrestled. Not aggressive enough, and made a comment that Lofthouse wrestled to keep it close. I wonder if this tips the scales more in Evans' favor for the lineup spot, as he has more fire.

Iowa wrestlers beat Lehigh 26-9 | Hawk Central

i think this is the nail coffin for Grant. i'd be shocked to see him get another chance w/o an injury. if Lofthouse was wrestling to keep it close he sure didn't do a very good job. Lotta positives w/ the lower weights. I really like how Ballweg is wrestling. and sounded like a solid match from Kelly as well. Burak is just not even close to being ready. that sucks to have a whole that big all year.

Okay, I don't follow the wrestling team very closely so can somebody please clue me in as to why Mike Evans wasn't in the starting lineup? He was very solid last year, IIRC.

Gambrall definitely laid an egg and likely gave the spot away. The coaches have given him more than enough opportunities to flip the switch and he just hasn’t stepped up. It’s really disappointing because I had extremely high hopes for Grant at 174 and hate to see a senior go out that way. Burak has nothing to lose and needs to get a fire lit and start wrestling with some urgency. I hope he makes some major strides and surprises us at the end of the year when it counts but based on his performances thus far, I’m very happy the coaches added Broc Berge to give us another great option if Burak doesn’t progress.

Okay, I don't follow the wrestling team very closely so can somebody please clue me in as to why Mike Evans wasn't in the starting lineup? He was very solid last year, IIRC.

Mike grew and couldn’t make 165 any longer so he moved up to 174 this year. He’s been battling Gambrall for the starting spot at 174 and has been much more aggressive in his performances and likely will be named the starter now that Grant has continued to be too passive and let matches slip away against lesser opponents.

Broc Berge may be the only reason that Brands took the red-shirt off Burak. He might just be thinking Burak is our best option for now, and he won't be in the line up in a couple years anyway so i might as well use him. If not, then most optimism I can hope for is that his career path is similar to Fulsaas.

Broc Berge may be the only reason that Brands took the red-shirt off Burak. He might just be thinking Burak is our best option for now, and he won't be in the line up in a couple years anyway so i might as well use him. If not, then most optimism I can hope for is that his career path is similar to Fulsaas.

I completely agree. If the Hawks didn't sign Berge this year, I'm sure there'd be a much better chance we'd be seeing Lira this year to preserve Burak's RS and give him a year to develop. After signing Berge, I'm sure the coaches were much more open to pulling Burak's RS this year knowing that he could always us his RS another year after Broc's on campus. You might as well give him some live matches and experience now when he's the best man at the weight in the room rather than redshirt him and then possibly have him only wrestle one year then ride the bench for three years if Berge wins the spot.

I completely agree. If the Hawks didn't sign Berge this year, I'm sure there'd be a much better chance we'd be seeing Lira this year to preserve Burak's RS and give him a year to develop. After signing Berge, I'm sure the coaches were much more open to pulling Burak's RS this year knowing that he could always us his RS another year after Broc's on campus. You might as well give him some live matches and experience now when he's the best man at the weight in the room rather than redshirt him and then possibly have him only wrestle one year then ride the bench for three years if Berge wins the spot.

You guys are talking about GG wrestling like this was his chance to start - it wasn't. Evans is the guy and has been the guy. Nothing has changed. This is just Brands dinking around early in the season when it doesn't matter to mix things up. He's continuing to give chances to GG to see if he can do anything. Guess what? He can't. He continues to unimpress for the last 2 years. But he's put in his time and Brands is at least throwing him some bones. Evans is the guy. Don't kid yourselves.

Mike grew and couldn’t make 165 any longer so he moved up to 174 this year. He’s been battling Gambrall for the starting spot at 174 and has been much more aggressive in his performances and likely will be named the starter now that Grant has continued to be too passive and let matches slip away against lesser opponents.

Gotcha, thanks a lot for the info. It's really too bad about Gambrall.

You guys are talking about GG wrestling like this was his chance to start - it wasn't. Evans is the guy and has been the guy. Nothing has changed. This is just Brands dinking around early in the season when it doesn't matter to mix things up. He's continuing to give chances to GG to see if he can do anything. Guess what? He can't. He continues to unimpress for the last 2 years. But he's put in his time and Brands is at least throwing him some bones. Evans is the guy. Don't kid yourselves.

We're talking about burak, not evans and gg. I agree with what you said about gg and evans though. That ship had already sailed before last night.

Latest posts