Iowa V ISU breakdown?

big10fan

Can anyone help me out? having a hard time finding out more than just scores. who looked good or not good out there? thanks in advance.

McD looked solid, nothing more or less. Finch wasn't really close to taking him down. Once McD gets his weight stabilized, he'll be back to the fire breather we have come to know!

Ramos looked fabulous. Gave up an early take down right off the whistle, then laid the smack down.

Marion looked good BAU for him.

Mark Ballweg really didn't have trouble getting to the legs, however he just wasn't strong enough to finish. Gave up some weight today.

St. John wasn't tested.

Evans didn't do a very good job of setting up his shots. Was in a couple of times, but Sorensen was able to sprawl out. Trailed 4-3 with over a minute left, and didn't shoot. To me, that was the most disappointing thing from him today.

Lofthouse, looked good in the first and then didn't really do anything the rest of the way. Lofthouse, the human yo-yo...he's up, he's down, he's up, he's down.

Wagner got taken down to his back in the first, and trailed (I think) 8-4 in the 3rd. He fought back hard to tie it at 9 with :13 seconds remaining. Beard had 1:12 of RT. Wagner rode him out after the restart to force overtime...only to discover that Beard had 1:00.2 of RT (WTF?) to give him the victory, 10-9.

Lira and Cole Shafer rolled around the mat for the first period, making the score 6-6 going into the 2nd. Lira wore him down and (I believe) rode him out the 3rd period for the 10-6 win.

Telford, I thought, looked really really good. His only mistake was a mental lapse that gave Gibson a reversal at the end of the match to erase the major. He got a take down in the first, rode Gibson HARD. Started down twice, reversed him both times. Telford knew he needed another TD for the major toward the end and cut Gibson. He hit a nice shot on the edge to give him the 9-1 lead (with RT) only to give up the reversal at the end.

125 B+, Finch is good but McD needs to have a major here.
133 A, gave up the quick TD but dominated afterwards. Road hard but couldn't turn so he used the setup with his shot.
141 B+, had to go get popcorn so I missed a majority of this match, got the major.
149 B+, amazing that he can be so physically outmatched a weight class up. He had a couple of blast doubles where he just didn't have the strength to finish. Cozart was a good recruit so still a decent win.
157 A, did a better job of not giving up his legs. Pinned a wrestler who was clearly hurt.
165 C, B+ for effort, but we're Iowa and we don't give charity grades. Works on his setups and he'll have this match next time.
174 D, I saw the Blanton match and I wasn't as impressed as others. He looks slow on his feet and seems to need to the motivation of being an underdog to stay aggressive, very inconsistent. Spangler is good, but shouldn't be winning this match.
184 B, the scoreboard says he lost, but I'm still at the arena waiting for overtime. Total rob job. Not just the riding time, but imo they waived a TD when Vinny pounced and they called time. In this instance you call the two and then injury timeout.
197 B+, exciting match, but lots of sloppy wrestling. Good job of getting the win but to me he is clearly undersized.
HWT B-, dominated on top and on feet. Cannot give up the stupid reversal at the end, which is the reason for the lower grade.

pump - I'm glad they won and thought they performed fairly well overall (except Lofthouse). I'd give lower grades though because they have lots of room for improvement!

pump - I'm glad they won and thought they performed fairly well overall (except Lofthouse). I'd give lower grades though because they have lots of room for improvement!

Totally agree AF....we have plenty of room for improvement!

Latest posts