Iowa v Indy Two Deeps: Some Changes

Why Donatell even gets to play is beyond me.

I wouldn't be that harsh but the fact that Law has shown in the limited time he has been on the field that the one thing he is good at is run support you would think sometime during the NW game when we were giving up run after run and NW pretty much showed that they weren't going to even try to throw the ball we would put him in the game. Both of our safeties did a horrible job of this on Saturday except for a couple of good plays by Miller.

Do we have to list backups on the two deep if we know there is absolutely no chance they will ever be removed from the game?

In regards to Ott, he must be clearly outplaying McMinn in practice. McMinn has talent, but needs more weight to fill his 6'-7" frame. Jon's assessment of Kirk seeing Ott opposite of Alvis for week 1 may be very possible. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the Kenny kid decommitting.

Maybe he's that promising, but maybe his dad tweeted something on twitter to give the coaches to make the decision a little easier.

I wouldn't be that harsh but the fact that Law has shown in the limited time he has been on the field that the one thing he is good at is run support you would think sometime during the NW game when we were giving up run after run and NW pretty much showed that they weren't going to even try to throw the ball we would put him in the game. Both of our safeties did a horrible job of this on Saturday except for a couple of good plays by Miller.

There is no way Law is worse at run support so I have no idea why he wouldn't play against a team that can't pass.

One of the Gazette guys didn't notice McMinn in uniform and speculated that he is injured. But Ott must be showing a lot to take off the redshirt at this point.

I would be more excited about Ott if he would have seen the field 3 games ago. Basically this was a case of McMinn being hurt, Spears hasn't been able to contribute all year because of various injuries and Ganglione being nicked up. Thus there was literally no one else. I think Ott needs to play now because I don't see another option at dend next year. I have heard Faith Ekaite is a long way off, McMinn hasn't impressed at all, Spears can't stay healthy enough to contribute, I hope that Alvis is struggling with injury etc.

I would be more excited about Ott if he would have seen the field 3 games ago. Basically this was a case of McMinn being hurt, Spears hasn't been able to contribute all year because of various injuries and Ganglione being nicked up. Thus there was literally no one else. I think Ott needs to play now because I don't see another option at dend next year. I have heard Faith Ekaite is a long way off, McMinn hasn't impressed at all, Spears can't stay healthy enough to contribute, I hope that Alvis is struggling with injury etc.

They could have always moved Bigach outside and played one of the other DTs. Heck, play Alston or someone at DE. If need was the ONLY reason they removed the redshirt, thats a terrible decision.

That's not a very nice thing to say

That's not a very nice thing to say

I didn't mean it to be mean as I thought Alvis had promise last year but this year he has had games where he just disappears. I am hoping he can finish out the year without major injury this year and regroup and get stronger for his senior year

Pulling Ott's redshirt at this point in the season is very confusing to me.

maybe he'll be good enough to go pro after his 3rd year and won't be here for the coveted 4th year.

maybe he won't be that good later on and will be replace by better younger guys anyway.

maybe he just wants to play and they need him.

Does this mean that Jake Rudock or any other QB will not be "key contributor" next year??

Apparently not. Maybe there's a plan to petition for JVB to get another year - a little known codicil to the NCAA rules - The Do-Over Exception.

Picture-9.jpg

No Weisman...Ott is Gaglione's backup, which makes the call to burn his shirt more surprising, to me. Perhaps Kirk's thinking is that he was showing a lot and they feel that he is going to be a key contributor at DE next year and want to get him going so that he can have those reps under him...need to get him reps the rest of the way. I'd pencil Alvis and Ott in as your opening day DE starters next year.

Wrong. That's not how Kurt thinks.

Signed,

J. Rudock

We might as well put Wienke in at QB, at least he can stay in the game and punt on 4th down.
Which would place us in a better position regarding clock mgmt and delay of Game issues......nah wait...we'd get a delay of game even if didn't have to come in.

In breaking the two-deep down by the last two classes.

True Frosh: 4, Redshirt frosh/true soph: 11. That's really young. Obviously as you've outlined the 2008-2009 were underachievers for a number of reasons. The good news is the program should be more talented the next couple of years. Gaglione and Bigach were pretty typical Iowa senior overachievers, but the guys in the pipeline like Faith E. and Jaleel Johnson, Ott, McMinn etc should only benefit from a year in the program. RS FR Darius Cooper looks like he can step in and be a good starter next season. Carl Davis has improved. IMO, one concern going forward is fairly thin recruiting at LB. The DL has brought in some four-star and high three star types, not seeing that same level of recruit at LB. Shouldn't be a big issue next year but the year after...a lot of true frosh, sophomores in the two deep at DB that have played pretty well in limited action. Starting two redshirt freshmen at offensive guard against Indiana. One of whom's listed weight is 270 pounds. Both of those guys were relatively highly thought of recruits but ideally those guys would get another year of development.

The lines going forward then, look pretty good, and that's what KF emphasizes. We should(ducking AIRBHGs lighting bolts) have numbers and a diversity of abilities at RB next year. Depth at WR should be improved, but not seeing real game breakers there...with as much "on paper" talent as we have at TE...we have to get them the ball more. This to me looks like the low point in the next two-three years. If the QB situation settles out next season it's a team that could win 9-10 games.

Its not going to help the Hawks chances that Brad Rogers is supposedly injured again and will miss Saturday's game. Anyone know what type of injury he is dealing with?

Latest posts