Iowa/UConn '95

nationalchamps

Was just watching this game and was remembering that we had some pretty good talent on that team. Disclaimer: I was friends with a lot of these guys, but take a look:

Millard: drafted
JR Koch: drafted
Bowen: not sure if he was drafted, but we know he got 10 yrs in the NBA
Settles: could've been drafted had he not gotten hurt
Kingsbury: could've been drafted had he played some "D" and was a bit quicker; one of best shooters in Iowa history
Woolridge: Should've been Big10 player of the year the following year
Murray: One of the best wing defenders we've ever had

How we didn't do more damage in the tourney is beyond me.

Was just watching this game and was remembering that we had some pretty good talent on that team. Disclaimer: I was friends with a lot of these guys, but take a look:

Millard: drafted
JR Koch: drafted
Bowen: not sure if he was drafted, but we know he got 10 yrs in the NBA
Settles: could've been drafted had he not gotten hurt
Kingsbury: could've been drafted had he played some "D" and was a bit quicker; one of best shooters in Iowa history
Woolridge: Should've been Big10 player of the year the following year
Murray: One of the best wing defenders we've ever had

How we didn't do more damage in the tourney is beyond me.

Because we played UConn...who had even more talent. If we would have gotten a 6 or a 7 seed we could have made a deeper run for sure. That was a fun team to watch! It seemed like every year there for a stretch, we were an 8 or 9 seed and had to play a #1 seed in second round.

But hey, at least we were IN THE TOURNEY!

Because we played UConn...who had even more talent. If we would have gotten a 6 or a 7 seed we could have made a deeper run for sure. That was a fun team to watch! It seemed like every year there for a stretch, we were an 8 or 9 seed and had to play a #1 seed in second round.

But hey, at least we were IN THE TOURNEY!

Actually I thought that was the year where we were a 6-seed, had to pull off a big comeback to beat G. Washington in the first round, and then lost to Arizona in the 2nd round. Having to play Arizona in Tempe, AZ wasn't exactly the cushiest setup in the world, either. I remember having to play Duke in Greensboro one year..

Then the year where Woolridge should've won Big 10 POY.. We finished 2nd in the Big Ten, and were rewarded with an 8-seed, and a second round matchup with UK.

Sometimes I feel the selection committee had it in for us. But oh, what I would give to be able to complain about seeding, and matchups in the NCAA tournament again!

Is this the game from the Great Alaskan shootout or one of the early preseason tournaments? If so, there's a play at the end of the game where some Hawk, I think it's Woolridge, inbounds the bound but is standing literally six or seven feet inbounds when he passes it. I've always wondered how none of the officials noticed it since he is nowhere near out of bounds when he throws it in.

Actually I thought that was the year where we were a 6-seed, had to pull off a big comeback to beat G. Washington in the first round, and then lost to Arizona in the 2nd round. Having to play Arizona in Tempe, AZ wasn't exactly the cushiest setup in the world, either. I remember having to play Duke in Greensboro one year..

Then the year where Woolridge should've won Big 10 POY.. We finished 2nd in the Big Ten, and were rewarded with an 8-seed, and a second round matchup with UK.

Sometimes I feel the selection committee had it in for us. But oh, what I would give to be able to complain about seeding, and matchups in the NCAA tournament again!

Correct.

One of the reasons for the low seeding was that the big ten was perceived as being down during the mid-90s. Basically, Purdue would get a #1 seed and lose in the 2nd round, while it seems every other big 10 team would lose in the first (except for Iowa, of course)

Latest posts