Iowa to Outback?

Iowa to Outback makes sense. The number one thing these guys care about is cash and Iowa is king in that regard, though you could also make an argument for Penn State. The reality is it's probably down to those two teams.

Head to head wins don't always make sense, guys. Remember in 2008, when we lost to Northwestern, had the same record, yet got selected before them? They'll take who they feel is going to bring the most fans and money. Michigan and PSU have larger fan bases than ours, and they do travel.

That being said, Iowa's not a bad draw, and I wouldn't be shocked or upset if we still landed in the Outback.

Of course, all this could have been avoided if we had just finished up the regular season 9-3 or even 8-4...

January bowl games have become diluted. I remember when playing in January used to be a great accomplishment. The fact that this Iowa team has a chance to play in one shows how little it means now. Although I'm sure there will still be people out there trying to use it as something meaningful.

January bowl games have become diluted. I remember when playing in January used to be a great accomplishment. The fact that this Iowa team has a chance to play in one shows how little it means now. Although I'm sure there will still be people out there trying to use it as something meaningful.

I understand what you're saying but are you then saying we didn't deserve to be in the Outback bowl in 2008? I mean, 8-4 with losses coming by an average 3 points vs 7-5 with losses coming by an average 3.6 points really doesn't make that much of a difference, does it?

The only thing is hype. In 2008, we were following an awful 2007 campaign, and we weren't expected to do much. In 2010, we were following a Cinderella-story-esque 2009 season.

I recall jon miller's inside info of "Iowa to the Fiesta Bowl" about this time last year.

If you would have spoken to the person I spoke with that told me 'Iowa to Fiesta, 90%' you would have posted it too...Marc Morehouse of the Cedar Rapids Gazette did, and he did..ppl forget that. They also forget me saying when Iowa was 6-4 in 2008 that they would wind up in the Outback Bowl. No one was saying that then. The fact is, I have gotten these picks right more than I have gotten them wrong..buts its not because I am some genius; you are only as good as the people you talk with. Iowa was surprised when on the Saturday night before the BCS picks, they started getting word from Fiesta that the bowl was looking to go to TCU Boise, partly because of how weak Texas looked in B12 title game, and they wanted a people's champion bowl.

I talk with the people that help plan these trips from a logistical standpoint for Iowa, among many others. I don't throw crap against the the wall to see what sticks.

My bowl stuff from Sunday is however, 100% my own opinion based on closely following this stuff for the past decade.

Latest posts