Iowa team physician out of town during Rhabdo

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
With players ill, Iowa doctor soaked up Costa Rica - chicagotribune.com

This was on 13 last night at 10, too.

I am struggling to find how this is a big deal. Had Ned Amendola been there, would his opinion have been sought out? Probably so. But it's not like he is going to perform any procedures on these kids there in the weight room. he would have referred them to the hospitals right across the freaking street, and folks that specialize in their area of concern would have taken care of the situation.

I just don't see why this is a story whatsoever, or even being deemed as a PR hit. If Dr Ned was the world's foremost expert on Rhadbo, then sure, there is something there. But he is not..he is a general team physician.

I don't see what the big deal is. Even with the UI saying how they didn't mind him being there, the article takes on this tone that apparently this is a clear case of negligence.

He was out of town for a meeting, and while he is the team doctor, I really don't see what he would have done other than refer the players to the hospital, and perhaps speak to the coaches and families.

I am struggling to find how this is a big deal. Had Ned Amendola been there, would his opinion have been sought out? Probably so. But it's not like he is going to perform any procedures on these kids there in the weight room. he would have referred them to the hospitals right across the freaking street, and folks that specialize in their area of concern would have taken care of the situation.

I just don't see why this is a story whatsoever, or even being deemed as a PR hit. If Dr Ned was the world's foremost expert on Rhadbo, then sure, there is something there. But he is not..he is a general team physician.

Wasn't this known a day or two after the story broke? I'm sure I read or saw it somewhere. It ain't news. And I agree, I don't think Amendola's presence would have mattered a whit in this instance.

url

I noticed this yesterday and posted in the Rhabdo thread. Likely got hidden in that.

The article is speculative at best. It lacks any real information. I'm disturbed that the AP has resorted to this. The article claims to know the DR's schedule, his agenda, and the headline makes it sound like he was more worried about his tan than the players. It also jumps to conclusions on the weather in Costa Rica during that week.

Plus, the Dr.'s presence at the conference could have been required, and not something he could have gotten out of. He is the head of the board for that brand of medicine. If the event itinerary ended at noon, that doesn't mean he doesn't have work scheduled. The article just makes a ton of assumption for only being 4 paragraphs long.

This is what journalism as come to. I can understand CBS and ESPN fueling the drama, but it is really sad that the AP is now on the TMZ level of reporting.

Sounds like there's an underlying bias there. It's hitting the Chicago market ... so my guess is that there's some recruiting implications at play.

It also states that he kept receiving his salary while at the conference, as if that is not normal. I've never ever EVER heard of a salaried employee not receiving his/her salary while attending a conference related to their field.

No wonder journalism is a dying field. Everyone wants to find the next watergate.

on channel 13 last night, they reported saying he was at a conference at a 'luxury' resort, or something like that. That is sensationalizing the story - using the word luxury. It has or had nothing to do with the story, and him being at a conference and not coming back is just a nonstarter.

This is such a non-story it makes you wonder.

It's not news. A doctor was at a conference out of the country. It happens everyday and will continue to happen.

When your CEO takes a junket to Greece for the Athens Olympics and assigns a reporter to get tipsy on ouzo and then write about it, you know your news company is f*cked. Welcome to the world of AP.

Last edited:
So let me see if I have the "inference" here right?

1. nobody is allowed to take a vacation and enjoy themselves..ever.
2. "Luxury" resorts are out. Anything more than Motel 6 is inappropriate
2. we're all supposed to be at our jobs 24/7
3. He's the only Dr in Iowa City that could treat these guys.

By this logic every parent who's ever had a kid get injured in their absence is somehow responsible for what happened.

Every reporter thinks they're Woodward and Bernstein. Most are more like "wood-head".

Last edited:
It also states that he kept receiving his salary while at the conference, as if that is not normal.

That's what a "salary" is! It's not an hourly wage...it's broad compensation which covers a wide-range of activities, usually on an annual basis. You don't just turn it on and off.

Who are these idiots writing this stuff?

the "luxury" resort was where the conference was at...not necessarily where the doctor was staying.

im not sure why it is important to list his salary, or that he was making it while on a trip.

the cost of the trip is irrelevant to the story. im sure there are thousands of similar trips among organizations, medical boards, study groups...at just Iowa...every year. expand that to all schools in the country. so what's the point? in all fairness, why not list the ROI from such a trip?

im also not sure why the dr is required to fly back. this is the 21st century...unless his specialty was needed, he likely could have easily advised all of the doctors better had be not stuck himself on a plane without communication for hours on end. but ya...drop everything, get a plane out of a third world country, and get your *** back to a hospital full of doctors because the AP and Dennis Dodd want your *** there to be accountable for something!

why is it important to list the status of the golf course? how does that help the story?

No biggie.
You didn't need him for the final opinion.
Rhabdo's been recognized for decades. Treatment is relatively simple.
The renal experts at UIHC were in a much better position to diagnose and treat than an ortho-trained MD.

Last edited:
Most medical conferences held at a resort are usually held at the nicer ones. He's an orthopedist so how's he going to help with something unrelated to his expertise? Just somebody from the AP trying to stir things up because they had a deadline to meet and had to write about something.

Most medical conferences held at a resort are usually held at the nicer ones. He's an orthopedist so how's he going to help with something unrelated to his expertise? Just somebody from the AP trying to stir things up because they had a deadline to meet and had to write about something.

AP's going to tout that they really tagged into something because they managed to obtain requested records. But that doesn't change the fact this is old news and a non-story.

I, for one, would like to know where Herky was during this whole ordeal...

Give me a break. Also, I'd love an explanation on how the following paragraph relates, in any way, to the Iowa players’ illnesses.

“The golf course has been ranked among the “Best 100 Courses Outside the United Statesâ€￾ by Golf Digest and gives players a chance to see exotic plants, trees, birds and animals, including monkeys.â€￾

I, for one, would like to know where Herky was during this whole ordeal...

Give me a break. Also, I'd love an explanation on how the following paragraph relates, in any way, to the Iowa players’ illnesses.

“The golf course has been ranked among the “Best 100 Courses Outside the United Statesâ€￾ by Golf Digest and gives players a chance to see exotic plants, trees, birds and animals, including monkeys.â€￾

There's nothing in the entire article that relates at all to the players' illnesses and the care they were getting. Most telling about this whole incident is the lack of any public criticism we've heard from the people who matter most - the players and their parents. But, then, that's not fake story like the above article.

There people that are more than qualified to evaluate the safety of players. Not a big deal to me.

Latest posts