Iowa State still

BigD

on the inside looking out. Iowa on the outside looking in.

It hurt with Penn State winning today. We needed a loss there with Ohio State on their schedule. They need to lose one more and the Ohio State loss.

Let’s play devil’s advocates. Ohio State loses to Penn State and Iowa wins out. Ohio State would finish behind Iowa in the conference. Does the committee get to bypass teams in a conference or are they bound to go by finishing order?

Now I realize other teams need to lose also, but that’s an interesting situation.

Maybe Wisconsin can upset Penn State at Wisconsin, or maybe one of the following teams could give Penn State a loss; Washington at Penn State , at Purdue, at Minnesota, Maryland at Penn State.

The odds are stacked against us. Very long shot. One blown pass coverage against Iowa State, one chicken shit series of three runs and a punt back to Iowa State.

Kirk has been a winning coach for sure but it is his conservative approach that kept him from the top of the mountain or mythical championships, or four game playoffs, and now the thirteen team playoff this year.

His level of recruiting and coaching demands risk taking, but alas that’s not the coach we have. He did well to get his pay raises and extended contracts, but his conservative approach killed himself from getting to the foothills of the mountain. He and us were always left at camp watching the other teams on the foothills playing to get to the top.

Iowa State and BYU thus far on the inside. Seriously??? Weak schedules played a big part of that.

It’s not like we didn’t have a favorable schedule also. Iowa State in our house.

Is Iowa state?

Wouldn’t it be rich if they make it. We have more money, better facilities, a better fan base. It’s madening to even think about.
Better this or better that sounds petty. TCU made the NC game just a few years back. It doesn’t matter what you or I think as too whether or not iowa state is a playoff team. Win the games on your schedule and you’ll be in the playoff. Thus far that’s exactly what Iowa state has done. They deserve some credit. Beat Iowa in kinnick (AGAIN) and just went into an extremely tough environment and beat a good WV team. That was impressive.

If KJ were available for the first half against ISU we would be sitting with one loss and look very much like a possible playoff team. We seem to be getting better each week (when playing non top 5 teams) so who knows what we might look like by the end of the year. Keep blowing out teams like we did Wisconsin and this ISU loss will be looked at like the 2002 one.

It hurt with Penn State winning today. We needed a loss there with Ohio State on their schedule. They need to lose one more and the Ohio State loss.

Let’s play devil’s advocates. Ohio State loses to Penn State and Iowa wins out. Ohio State would finish behind Iowa in the conference. Does the committee get to bypass teams in a conference or are they bound to go by finishing order?

Now I realize other teams need to lose also, but that’s an interesting situation.

Maybe Wisconsin can upset Penn State at Wisconsin, or maybe one of the following teams could give Penn State a loss; Washington at Penn State , at Purdue, at Minnesota, Maryland at Penn State.
This is a really good Iowa team. Let’s just enjoy the ride. We beat a really talented team yesterday.

If KJ were available for the first half against ISU we would be sitting with one loss and look very much like a possible playoff team. We seem to be getting better each week (when playing non top 5 teams) so who knows what we might look like by the end of the year. Keep blowing out teams like we did Wisconsin and this ISU loss will be looked at like the 2002 one.

Ok, I was confused there for a second, then realized Illinois St and Iowa St are both referred to as ISU. But I still don't know how having Kaleb Johnson available for the entire Illlinois St game would help Iowa have 1 less loss right now.

if you gave some people $999,999 they’d bitch about it not being a million. OP is one of those folks it seems.

Iowa was never going to make the playoffs anyway with PSU and OSU in the Big Ten, and Iowa state will screw it up. Campbell doesn’t have the stones. We just blew out a good Washington team, had the best win in years, and we have the country’s best running back. OP, you should really just got root for Texas or Georgia. You’d fit in better and wouldn’t be so stressed out all the time. It’d be good for the goose and the gander, bud.

I'm happy for ISU. As far ans Iowa, I'd like to see the hawks continue to improve, run the table and beat someone in a nice bowl. What if there just are not enough bowls for the bowl eligible teams in this bigger league.?

Big Ten Bowl Ties, Affiliations​

Consider it a mortal lock that the Big Ten champion is in the College Football Playoff, and almost certainly with one of the top four spots with a bye.

The Big Ten alternates with the SEC between the Las Vegas Bowl and Duke's Mayo Bowl. Last season Northwestern beat Utah in the Las Vegas, so assume the Big Ten will be in the Duke's Mayo.

This is the expected Big Ten bowl pecking order, but keep in mind that 1) several of the top teams in the expanded 20-team conference will be in the College Football Playoff and 2) there might be a LOT more Big Ten bowl tie-ins and affiliations coming as the season goes on.

One other twist: the former Pac-12 teams - Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington - will remain eligible for the former Pac-12 bowl ties and affiliations. That means if any of those four aren't in the College Football Playoff, they'll be eligible for the Alamo, Independence, Holiday, LA, Las Vegas, and Sun bowls.

- Cheez-It Citrus Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance Jan 2022 and 2024 Tenn
- ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance Jan 2019 MSU
- Duke's Mayo Bowl vs ACC never
- Music City Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance December 2022
- Pinstripe Bowl vs ACC last appearance 2017
- Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big 12 never
- Quick Lane Bowl vs MAC never

I'm happy for ISU. As far ans Iowa, I'd like to see the hawks continue to improve, run the table and beat someone in a nice bowl. What if there just are not enough bowls for the bowl eligible teams in this bigger league.?

Big Ten Bowl Ties, Affiliations​

Consider it a mortal lock that the Big Ten champion is in the College Football Playoff, and almost certainly with one of the top four spots with a bye.

The Big Ten alternates with the SEC between the Las Vegas Bowl and Duke's Mayo Bowl. Last season Northwestern beat Utah in the Las Vegas, so assume the Big Ten will be in the Duke's Mayo.

This is the expected Big Ten bowl pecking order, but keep in mind that 1) several of the top teams in the expanded 20-team conference will be in the College Football Playoff and 2) there might be a LOT more Big Ten bowl tie-ins and affiliations coming as the season goes on.

One other twist: the former Pac-12 teams - Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington - will remain eligible for the former Pac-12 bowl ties and affiliations. That means if any of those four aren't in the College Football Playoff, they'll be eligible for the Alamo, Independence, Holiday, LA, Las Vegas, and Sun bowls.

- Cheez-It Citrus Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance Jan 2022 and 2024 Tenn
- ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance Jan 2019 MSU
- Duke's Mayo Bowl vs ACC never
- Music City Bowl vs SEC Iowa's last appearance December 2022
- Pinstripe Bowl vs ACC last appearance 2017
- Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big 12 never
- Quick Lane Bowl vs MAC never

It is hard to get excited about the Reliaquest Bowl, especially if your rival gets into a playoff game. Between Iowa and ISU, it does matter who gets into the playoff first. As a Iowa fan, I don’t want ISU fans to hold that over my head.

Look at their schedule. If they don’t get clipped by Texas Tech, they will likely be 10-0 going into the last 2 weeks of the season. I can’t get the poms-poms and root for ISU…I just can’t.

It is hard to get excited about the Reliaquest Bowl, especially if your rival gets into a playoff game. Between Iowa and ISU, it does matter who gets into the playoff first. As a Iowa fan, I don’t want ISU fans to hold that over my head.

Look at their schedule. If they don’t get clipped by Texas Tech, they will likely be 10-0 going into the last 2 weeks of the season. I can’t get the poms-poms and root for ISU…I just can’t.
If the Cyclones run the table, including the B12 championship game, they'll be a Top 6 team nationally. Ohio St. ain't going to lose again, they'll be Top 4. If the Hawks run the table, they'll be 10-2, with their only losses to the #4 and #6 teams. I'm going to be an ISU fan the rest of the year, as much as that pains.

Ok, I was confused there for a second, then realized Illinois St and Iowa St are both referred to as ISU. But I still don't know how having Kaleb Johnson available for the entire Illlinois St game would help Iowa have 1 less loss right now.
Nope it appears I was the one confused. For some reason I had in my head he missed the first half against Iowa State. I guess I could save face and say I meant that not playing the first half against Illinois State prevented him from being in a good rhythm for Iowa State.

What I don't understand is that we have people on here whose main talking points are being pissed about not making the playoffs and not being able to compete with top teams. Why the hell do those people want to make the playoffs?

I have no idea if your post was intended for me or not. Either way, I don’t care. I think it would be awesome if Iowa hosted a group of 5 school in a playoff game. Sorry, if I can’t excited over the Mayo Bowl. Just being in the playoffs sounds like fun to me.

That’s just me, tho. If they are a playoff threat once every 3 years…at this point in my life…I’m good.

If the Cyclones run the table, including the B12 championship game, they'll be a Top 6 team nationally. Ohio St. ain't going to lose again, they'll be Top 4. If the Hawks run the table, they'll be 10-2, with their only losses to the #4 and #6 teams. I'm going to be an ISU fan the rest of the year, as much as that pains.

You get it, cheering for for ISU. That demonstrates we only lost to two top ten teams if we win out. There likely some Iowa kids playing for ISU and so I am always cheering for Iowa kids when playing against an elite field of players that play for elite programs.

I also expect at least three teams will make it to the playoff, but if four teams are chosen then a 10-2 has a shot.

I have no idea if your post was intended for me or not. Either way, I don’t care. I think it would be awesome if Iowa hosted a group of 5 school in a playoff game. Sorry, if I can’t excited over the Mayo Bowl. Just being in the playoffs sounds like fun to me.

That’s just me, tho. If they are a playoff threat once every 3 years…at this point in my life…I’m good.
It's not intended for anyone in particular. It's just seems to be 2 of the main talking points around here with regards to the team's success/potential.

Latest posts