Iowa state rock bottom? and kinnick crowd

BergHawk7

I wanna first ask this question because there are some old football fans on this site, was yesterday the most embarrassing loss in ISU history? Last years 77-7 game against baylor was bad, but theres been a lot of those in isu's past. The two factors that go into yesterday's loss were: it was their 2nd loss to an fcs school, and the way they lost by 20. Did they just hit rock bottom?

And a quick thought about our crowd yesterday. I was at the game, and I noticed that the energy and volume of the crowd was stale up until the 4th. I dont if everyone was nervous or what, but I assumed kinnick would be a lot louder during a close game. Bigger games I know itll get loud. Music was really good, Herkey looks sweet!

the crowd has been stale for several years now, IMO. also, early warm games don't lend to a lot of energy from the crowd, IMO.

clownz rock bottom? no, but they are starting to recognize paw doesn't walk on water. only taken them 5 years.

Iowa State fans used to look at Paul Rhodes and see Heidi Clum, but now that the curtain has fallen(losses to everyone, not named Kansas), they see they've been dating Melissa McCarthey. She's funny, but who wants to bed her.

Well...when you don't put a DB on their best player and he is making huge plays...that kind of kills the crowd. I think it will improve more next week

The game was a bummer. Crowd was good at the outset, and as others have mentioned, in the fourth quarter they were really good. Probably cost UNI a TD late. I think, from talking to the long time fans around me, that we were pretty disgusted that Iowa was not dominating UNI, especially in our run game. I think that was where the silence originated. And, UNI's big plays in response to Iowa scores really took the wind out of the fans' sails.

Iowa State looks like rock bottom right now. Wait 2 weeks to see how bad it gets after giving up 300+ yards 3 consecutive weeks. I don't even see what I would consider to be a 50% shot at a win until TT but that's months from now.

I wanna first ask this question because there are some old football fans on this site, was yesterday the most embarrassing loss in ISU history? Last years 77-7 game against baylor was bad, but theres been a lot of those in isu's past. The two factors that go into yesterday's loss were: it was their 2nd loss to an fcs school, and the way they lost by 20. Did they just hit rock bottom?

And a quick thought about our crowd yesterday. I was at the game, and I noticed that the energy and volume of the crowd was stale up until the 4th. I dont if everyone was nervous or what, but I assumed kinnick would be a lot louder during a close game. Bigger games I know itll get loud. Music was really good, Herkey looks sweet!

I'd dismiss the rock bottom talk until after the Iowa v ISU game. The clowns find a way to hang close and keep my blood pressure very high.

Trying to determine rock bottom or the most embarrassing loss for one of the 10 worst programs in the history of college football would have to be virtually impossible.

I think any Iowa State fan that expected the Cyclones better than average was kidding themselves. Their defense gave up an average of 38 points a game last year. And since last year they lost some starters and now they aren't even as good as they were last year. They have a starting defensive back, Richardson is 5.7. Luke Knott is 6.0 @ 200 pounds. They can't stop the run. And once NDSU figured that out they were toast.

On offense they have a couple of linemen over 300 pounds. Their backups aren't up to the competition and when a lineman goes down the game plan suffers. They have a few good receivers including Bundrage and Lizard. If any ISU fan thinks Lizard is going to win the game by himself is kidding themselves. Yesterday, Bundrage went out in the first series and the passing attack suffered. And like most teams NDSU had a crazy idea of stopping the run and forcing the other guy to beat them in the air. They couldn't pass so they did a lot of 3 and outs and then their suspect defense ended up on the field longer.

I think this is a worse loss than the 77-7 shellacking at the hands of Baylor. Baylor has a good national level team. Iowa State got stomped by a FCS team. There are no pride points for them. Their defense gave up 299 yards on the ground. ISU's offense which was supposed to be their strong side struggled to get 200 yards in total offense. They only scored 14 points. To a FCS team!

It was inevitable the offense would take a step back this year. You can't change coordinators and playbooks and not have some troubles. Their offense was never really the problem previously, from what I've seen. Maybe in a year or two they'll get back up to the 3-4 win threshold again.

I think ISU has lost more than several times to UNI, they may have lost to drake and Pacific back in the day. They are very light on big wins and have lost a ton of games to mediocre teams.

they are one of the worst programs going and have been, sorry to say it as they do represent the state.

I think ISU has lost more than several times to UNI, they may have lost to drake and Pacific back in the day. They are very light on big wins and have lost a ton of games to mediocre teams.

they are one of the worst programs going and have been, sorry to say it as they do represent the state.

Uh dude...it's the Hawkeye State. ;)

I believe ISU may be in for a long season but they were up 14-0 before losing a handful of key starters and showed they are not a deep squad. If the Hawks had lost King or LTP or Davis I shudder to think what the final score would been so let's not judge too quickly and anger the injury Gods.

I don't think Iowa State has hit rock bottom. I certainly hope they have more room to fall, especially in the next three weeks!

I know ISU fans were in a tailspin a couple of years back when there were rumors that they might get left out of the reshaped Big 12. I have to wonder now if they might not be happier in a slightly less competitive conference like the Mountain West or Conference USA. I know it would be a blow to the ego to move out of one of the big 5 power conferences, but I have to believe in the long run their fan base would be a lot happier with a team that was winning 7 or 8 games pretty consistently and sometimes competing for conference championships.

Does anybody see that happening anytime in the near future in the Big 12? I'm not one that usually craps all over the Cyclones, but I think it's time for a reality check for their football program. As long as they are in the Big 12 and playing 9 games a year against that competition they can expect 6-6 to be their good years and 3 or 4 wins to be the norm.

Latest posts