Iowa sends 20% of Iowa recruits to the NFL - Iowa State? 0%

Lyddea

Thought this was interesting given the Clones recent ability to actually pull a recruit or two away from us (Collin Bevins, and Barkley Hill - for a while).

Over the 2002-2009 recruiting classes Iowa brought in 42 Iowa guys, and sent 8 of them to the league through the draft (so far). Over the same period, the Clones brought in 50 Iowa guys, absolutely none of which got drafted.

This doesn't fix the losses to Minny the last two years, or the losses to NW over the years, but it does seem pretty pertinent to future recruiting battles in-state.

Paging Jake Campos - Black Heart Gold Pants

Honest question, who was the last player from the state of Iowa that didn't go to Iowa or UNI that got drafted. IDK the answer.

I look for that to change next year with Jake Knott. To me, that stat says more about Iowa's ability to get the states top talent. Obviously, KF and staff know how to develop kids too.

This stat tells me Iowa is either getting the more talented player or doing a better job developing the player for the NFL. In most cases the Iowa staff is probably getting the better player and doing a better job developing him.

Iowa is sending 2 star kids to the league. Iowa is sending 3 star kids to the league. And Iowa is sending 4 star kids to the league.

It's not just getting the best talent.

But in the end, whatever the reason, those numbers make for one heck of a recruiting pitch to the in-state kids at the very least.

Last edited:
Iowa is sending 2 star kids to the league. Iowa is sending 3 star kids to the league. And Iowa is sending 4 star kids to the league.

It's not just getting the best talent.

But in the end, whatever the reason, those numbers make for one heck of a recruiting pitch to the in-state kids at the very least.

It should make a heck of a recruiting pitch to the out-of-state kids as well, no matter how many stars they have after their name. Out of the shortcomings on recruiting to Iowa talked about on this and and other sites the talent development of Kirk and his staff should trump them all.

IIRC people have discussed about how even Evy complained how tough it was to bring kids to Iowa. But in this day and age if someone can see that Iowa can take an average high school athlete and turn them into solid NFL-caliber players who wouldn't be swayed by that? Aside from the kids who are tied to a school through family loyalty or who were born to be a Buckeye, Wolverine, Longhorn, etc....getting someone who's a 4-star athlete should not be an uncommon occurrence with the occasional 5-star thrown in.

But who knows what goes through the mind of a 17 or 18 year old?

I look for that to change next year with Jake Knott. To me, that stat says more about Iowa's ability to get the states top talent. Obviously, KF and staff know how to develop kids too.

This is probably the correct answer.

To get a better judge on this, how many of those 50 Iowa kids on ISU's roster had offers from Iowa? I ask this because of the suggestion that our success in sending Iowa kids to the NFL was more predicated on talent.

It would also be interesting to know if any of the 8 Iowa kids we put in the NFL did NOT have an ISU offer or better yet how many of those 8 started out as Walkons.

Thought this was interesting given the Clones recent ability to actually pull a recruit or two away from us (Collin Bevins, and Barkley Hill - for a while).

Over the 2002-2009 recruiting classes Iowa brought in 42 Iowa guys, and sent 8 of them to the league through the draft (so far). Over the same period, the Clones brought in 50 Iowa guys, absolutely none of which got drafted.

This doesn't fix the losses to Minny the last two years, or the losses to NW over the years, but it does seem pretty pertinent to future recruiting battles in-state.

Paging Jake Campos - Black Heart Gold Pants

I guess you find the obvious interesting. When's the last time ISU beat Iowa on one of the top five in-state kids? Iowa has better in-state talent at every position. And the more talented kids are landing in the NFL, wow.

These are all good thoughts and angles but I think the only relevant thought is Iowa’s ability to “evaluate” talent. I have always said, even way back when 70% of everyone said Iowa was just lucky with the 2-stars and needed to recruit better…..I said I personally believe and we will find out that KF and staff, though good coaches, are even better talent evaluators. This was as far back as 2004ish 2005ish. As we can now clearly see, they are still solid coaches, but their ability to evaluate all levels of talent is exemplary and they are therefore very, very good recruiters. To try to pigeon hole that into just a statewide thing doesn’t do it justice.

Another thing that has always struck me as unfair is this, “develop” thing. Iowa has had countless 2-stars play early and often in their careers. So while I do think Iowa teaches the game well, I think it does a disservice to the actual kids themselves.

With the exception of Jake Knott who Iowa clearly missed on and Klein who Iowa and Wiscy (another good developmental program) both missed on, I have yet to see ISU really rocking the Casbah recruiting wise. And I’m not basing it on rankings (to me they are very misleading at best) but offers, video and initial shows on special teams or the actual field.

And for those that have the feeling their coach is “superior” at game day management (Les Miles anyone) both of our coaches have made some really odd decisions and I am still baffled by ISU’s 4th down call vs KSU last year…..one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. So Rhoads isn’t a “great” coach to KF’s meh-meh…quite frankly, as much as Iowa fans hate to hear it, most of these games are won Sunday thru Friday between the ears and thru the “teaching” of the game…..if Iowa can re-find that focus and attitude that used to lead to more consistent execution they can be pretty good again as early as this year…if not they will continue to struggle quarter to quarter…..

Another thing that has always struck me as unfair is this, “developâ€￾ thing. Iowa has had countless 2-stars play early and often in their careers. So while I do think Iowa teaches the game well, I think it does a disservice to the actual kids themselves.

Curious what you mean by that statement. Not sure I see what you mean by being a disservice to the kids.

Curious what you mean by that statement. Not sure I see what you mean by being a disservice to the kids.

Meaning they were misevaluated and poorly ranked to begin with. You can’t be a 2-star “projectâ€￾ and hit the field your first fall or even 2nd fall on campus and be a “projectâ€￾…

At least in my opinion

These are all good thoughts and angles but I think the only relevant thought is Iowa’s ability to “evaluate†talent. I have always said, even way back when 70% of everyone said Iowa was just lucky with the 2-stars and needed to recruit better…..I said I personally believe and we will find out that KF and staff, though good coaches, are even better talent evaluators. This was as far back as 2004ish 2005ish. As we can now clearly see, they are still solid coaches, but their ability to evaluate all levels of talent is exemplary and they are therefore very, very good recruiters. To try to pigeon hole that into just a statewide thing doesn’t do it justice.

Another thing that has always struck me as unfair is this, “develop†thing. Iowa has had countless 2-stars play early and often in their careers. So while I do think Iowa teaches the game well, I think it does a disservice to the actual kids themselves.

With the exception of Jake Knott who Iowa clearly missed on and Klein who Iowa and Wiscy (another good developmental program) both missed on, I have yet to see ISU really rocking the Casbah recruiting wise. And I’m not basing it on rankings (to me they are very misleading at best) but offers, video and initial shows on special teams or the actual field.

And for those that have the feeling their coach is “superior†at game day management (Les Miles anyone) both of our coaches have made some really odd decisions and I am still baffled by ISU’s 4th down call vs KSU last year…..one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. So Rhoads isn’t a “great†coach to KF’s meh-meh…quite frankly, as much as Iowa fans hate to hear it, most of these games are won Sunday thru Friday between the ears and thru the “teaching†of the game…..if Iowa can re-find that focus and attitude that used to lead to more consistent execution they can be pretty good again as early as this year…if not they will continue to struggle quarter to quarter…..

That was well said, 99.

And for those that have the feeling their coach is “superior†at game day management (Les Miles anyone) both of our coaches have made some really odd decisions and I am still baffled by ISU’s 4th down call vs KSU last year…..one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. So Rhoads isn’t a “great†coach to KF’s meh-meh…quite frankly, as much as Iowa fans hate to hear it, most of these games are won Sunday thru Friday between the ears and thru the “teaching†of the game…..if Iowa can re-find that focus and attitude that used to lead to more consistent execution they can be pretty good again as early as this year…if not they will continue to struggle quarter to quarter…..

One could also make the argument that as much as you hate to hear it, if Ferentz was as good on Saturday as he was on Sunday through Friday (where he is one of the best in the country), we wouldn't be losing games to the Minnesota's of the world. But when you're average at best on Saturday, plus you play with a fear of losing, it starts to eat away at the advantage gained in preparation throughout the week.

In my opinion...

One could also make the argument that as much as you hate to hear it, if Ferentz was as good on Saturday as he was on Sunday through Friday (where he is one of the best in the country), we wouldn't be losing games to the Minnesota's of the world. But when you're average at best on Saturday, plus you play with a fear of losing, it starts to eat away at the advantage gained in preparation throughout the week.

In my opinion...

And just like mine, doesn't make it right, eh?!?! :D

Latest posts