Iowa Residence Halls

Tasted flat, no spice or pizazz to them. Always added ketchup or BBQ sauce.

The food service manager where I worked was also in charge of menus for the entire dorm system, which back then consisted of four cafeterias. First day of the semester was always maid rites.

She had about a three week rotation so maid rites would pop up about five times a semesfer.

Northside has it correct as I forgot those gawd awful maid rites. My worst memory were the stringy, mostly grissle spare ribs, effing awful. But yes the maid rites were probably ok to someone who hadnt had them before and they could pile on the ketchup and mustard but to anyone who grew up eating real maid rites the dorm ones were really bad

How do you F up a Maid RIte?

Leave it to institutional and large congregate meal providers to not add any spices or chopped onions. These were just super ground up ground beef (not sure of the actual fat % but I would say high) with not a hint of black pepper.

My kids were in the UI dorms in 2003 to 05 and the food was a lot better and they even had some nice snack bars back then that were open much of the time.

My kids were in the UI dorms in 2003 to 05 and the food was a lot better and they even had some nice snack bars back then that were open much of the time.
The biggest improvement during my college career (1984-89) was the salad bars. They started to get serious about them and were pretty decent by the time I left.

You should see it now, my son even gets flex meals where he can pick out different items in the "store" locations across campus.

Even my backwater town has license plate readers when you pull in. "I forgot my ticket." "Oh, no problem, what's your license plate number and I'll print you a new one."

Last year in The Capitol Ramp, I literally saw a student blow by the parking station and bar after the car in front of him paid. He timed it and gunned if after the car ahead of him went through. I always thought if that could be done and damn it, if he didn't do it. Pretty ballsy!!

Latest posts