Iowa Recruits State Results

Did ISU give him a full ride?

Well, his dad was on TOS saying he didn't want his kids to have college debt and that was the reason the Hawks weren't considered. Whether he got a full ride, I'm not sure but there is a cyclone fan on HR who said he didn't.

Sorenson not only beat meeks a couple years ago but he beat Devos also. Wasn't freestyle. It was a tournament in Waterloo-CedarFalls.
Meeks has 0 loses in his high school career. If i was a tourney in Iowa that loss would be on his record. Are you talking about his brother ?

Meeks lost 1-0 to Levi Wolfensperger at preseason nationals before his sophomore year. At Preseason nationals the next year Meeks beat Sorenson in the semi-finals then lost by major to Jesse Thielke of Wisconsin in the finals that bracket also included Illinois recruit Zane Richards.

Meeks probably got a full ride to ISU. I know Destin McCauley is getting a full scholarship

Chuck Yagla was a runner up at state and went on to be an Olympic medalist. They want them hungry and of course it has to be the right fit for the school aspect as well. I believe the guy that beat chuck ended up doing a stint in prison, not that this will happen to this year's champs...

Chuck Yagla was a runner up at state and went on to be an Olympic medalist. They want them hungry and of course it has to be the right fit for the school aspect as well. I believe the guy that beat chuck ended up doing a stint in prison, not that this will happen to this year's champs...

Yagla never medaled in the Olympics. He qualified for the 1980, which boycotted so he never had the opportunity to wrestle in the Olympics. He also qualified for two world championship teams (1977, 1979) as well. He did win 2 NCAA titles in 1975 and 1976. Mike Uker and Matt Nerem are two others who never won titles but became All-American for Iowa, Nerem never even made the state finals. Eric Voelker won two NCAA titles for ISU with never making the State Finals, so some guys continue to get better after High School.

Last edited:
Meeks lost 1-0 to Levi Wolfensperger at preseason nationals before his sophomore year. At Preseason nationals the next year Meeks beat Sorenson in the semi-finals then lost by major to Jesse Thielke of Wisconsin in the finals that bracket also included Illinois recruit Zane Richards.

Meeks probably got a full ride to ISU. I know Destin McCauley is getting a full scholarship

I don't think Meeks is taking a full scholarship at ISU. It was oneof the reasons that he was going to Nebraska to begin with. I believe that ISU, through a combination of academic and wrestling money, will get his tuition paid for. Most programs manage this. Cornell is an expert at it.

I'd like to see the Hawks take a hard look at Ross Larson from Ankeny. The guy is a beast. He wasn't taken down once all year. Only 3 wrestlers got past the 1st period. I think closest match was 10 points. He hasn't done any wrestling in the summers as baseball has always been his first love. He will have scholarship offers for baseball but sounds like he may be considering wrestling. I think he has huge upside potential.

I'd like to see the Hawks take a hard look at Ross Larson from Ankeny. The guy is a beast. He wasn't taken down once all year. Only 3 wrestlers got past the 1st period. I think closest match was 10 points. He hasn't done any wrestling in the summers as baseball has always been his first love. He will have scholarship offers for baseball but sounds like he may be considering wrestling. I think he has huge upside potential.
ISU is looking at him, but you watch him and you know he is going to have a bunch to work on in college. When you cannot just cross arm every guy into a pin, it will get more difficult. He was so mych stronger than every opponent he faced, but that won't be the case in college. I could see him being a middling competitor, and then finding it for one monster season as a senior.

ISU is looking at him, but you watch him and you know he is going to have a bunch to work on in college. When you cannot just cross arm every guy into a pin, it will get more difficult. He was so mych stronger than every opponent he faced, but that won't be the case in college. I could see him being a middling competitor, and then finding it for one monster season as a senior.

Probably a good assessment. I only saw him a few times and agree the strong arming won't work at the college level. However, he's a heck of athlete with great body awareness which could help speed him along.

Definitely a stud at the HS level who I'd take the risk on at the collegiate level. I couldn't believe how easily he cruised to the state title this year.
(3 pins and a TF)
He definitely has a lot to learn before competing at the next level but with his athletic ability I wish the Hawks would take a close look at him.
If your going to add depth at the lower weights with Topher Carton and Connor Ryan then why not add depth at the weights where it is really needed?

On a side note, I was really impressed with the Iowa recruits Coach Schwab
has coming in next year. Both Bartels (MC) and Peters (DT) should make good contributions at UNI before their careers are over.

I will agree, the recruiting classes this year and last year are scary @ UNI! Coach Schwab also has potential 3x state champions Curt Maas of Medford (152) and Cooper Moore of Jackson County Central (170) from Minnesota coming.

I don't think he's even going to wrestle in college so i think it's a moot point anyways, but to me, any kid that athletic and dominating should be able to translate well into college. A lot of guys in the state are stronger than the guys they wrestle and none of them were even close to as dominate as Larson. His finals match just showed how freaky his hips are. Andy hamilton tweeted that in his 41-0 season he wrestled a total of 54 minutes and 45 seconds. or about 1:20 for an average match. That's one of the craziest stats i've heard in wrestling.

I too feel like he probably won’t end up wrestling in college which is a shame because he seems to have a ton of potential. It seems like so many upper weights choose to play other sports in college. It’s getting a little disheartening though seeing Iowa miss out on the top in-state upper weight talents recently. It’s been a number of years now since Iowa has signed a top level 197 or Heavyweight in state and has instead added even more depth to lower weights that are already pretty stacked. No offense to some of the lower weight guys, but I’d much rather have a Ross Larson, Jared Bartel, Willie Miklus, Cody Krumweide, Austin Blythe, Brandon Abernathy, etc. in the room than have 8 deep at 141. The talent and numbers seem to thin out a bit in the upper weights at the collegiate level so it seems much more tactical in the effort to win team titles to invest more dollars in some top upper weight talents who have a higher chance of success than a lower weight who has the most number of talented guys to compete against and beat out for those tourney points. It’s great to have Sam Brooks and Nathan Burak coming on board to address the lack of talent and depth for the upper weights next year. Hopefully the Hawks can still add a Heavyweight this year so Telford has someone over 200 pounds to roll around with next year and someone to fill in if Telford gets injured so we don’t have to forfeit the weight.

I don't think he's even going to wrestle in college so i think it's a moot point anyways, but to me, any kid that athletic and dominating should be able to translate well into college. A lot of guys in the state are stronger than the guys they wrestle and none of them were even close to as dominate as Larson. His finals match just showed how freaky his hips are. Andy hamilton tweeted that in his 41-0 season he wrestled a total of 54 minutes and 45 seconds. or about 1:20 for an average match. That's one of the craziest stats i've heard in wrestling.

Just talked to someone who said he's going to ISU this weekend. Sounds like he may pursue wrestling. It appears the big boys are calling including the Hawks.

Larson was at Ok.ST and Okl. last weekend for visits. Sounds like Oklahoma is the leader.

I've heard that he is a big Hawkeye fan and has been forever, so hopefully Brands can convince him to come wrestle for the good guys instead of the clowns.

I've heard that he is a big Hawkeye fan and has been forever, so hopefully Brands can convince him to come wrestle for the good guys instead of the clowns.
Wow. Thanks for making that one up for us. He hasn't set foot in the Iowa wrestling room, but he's a huge hawk fan? Give me a break. I am pretty sure he is visiting with the baseball coaches at those schools. He has a chance to get a full scholarship playing baseball at either school, and numerous options post graduation to go further and make a career out of it. Wrestling is at a huge disadvantage. He is not going to wrestle at the next level because option during his time in college and post college are limited.

Latest posts